Customer Discussions > Pets discussion forum

what is the best way to remove tartar from a dogs teeth

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 235 posts in this discussion
Posted on 23 Feb 2012 11:08:54 GMT
B. Siviter says:
I was instructed to give my dog raw carrots, and her teeth are free from any scale whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2012 14:01:21 GMT
Sushke says:
That is really lovely to hear. :) My Newfie loved munching on raw carrot. My Leo does too. Cabbage is favourite too.

Posted on 24 Feb 2012 13:43:13 GMT
Has anyone thought about all the things that are fed to farm animals to make them bigger and to produce more meat all them hormones and things end up in the bones

Posted on 24 Feb 2012 13:50:21 GMT
A valid point, I guess in an ideal world the food would be sourced from butchers that don't use animals that are fed that way, there will always be a point when a dog, either as a pet or in the wild, will eat something that ideally it probably shouldn't.

Posted on 24 Feb 2012 13:59:13 GMT
blh8 says:
My 2 yr old dog had some tartar, I started feeding him raw bones and raw chicken inc. bones for other reasons and 3 days later shiny white teeth :) Try it, it certainly won't hurt. Oh his fur has also improved too...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 14:10:27 GMT
Sushke says:
As Alex said.. a valid point T.L. It also applies to the meat for human consumption. Free range, organic is the answer. But as Alex also mentioned, in the wild carrion and meat-eating animals will eat whatever they happen to come across.

Posted on 25 Feb 2012 22:58:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Feb 2012 22:58:46 GMT
Gemma W says:
I use dentastix (only work if your dog is a chewer though, even so they don't last long!) and proper raw bones for my dog - sometimes the roasted bones you can buy too.

In an ideal world I'd feed BARF, but my dog would rather starve than eat something he doesn't like... and he's decided raw meat is disgusting if not on a bone.

Posted on 26 Feb 2012 16:58:23 GMT
It's on interesting comment that you say your dog would rather starve than eat something he doesn't like, it's not a survival instinct for any animal to starve itself if there is some food to eat, I don't doubt he turns his nose up at some food but given the choice of eating or not eating, he will eat.

Some animals will need to learn to accept what is edible, either through watching others or through their own trail and error.

Posted on 27 Feb 2012 17:03:00 GMT
Eevee says:
Each dog is different. Larger breeds tend to have good mouths, I know a 16 year old collie with a perfect mouth. I have family members who have owned old English sheepdogs over 35 years this breed of dog always have perfect teeth until they go to rainbow bridge. Toy breeds present much more of a challenge as far as dentition goes due to miniturisation of the various breeds. Owning toy breeds for many years now has taught me that you have to adapt to the dogs individual dental requirements, whether that be through bones, natural diet or other means. Each dog and owner should do what is right for them.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2012 16:18:24 GMT
i have a jack russell a toy yorkie and a belgium shepherd i give them a bone to chew on have found this works well and the dogs love it. When i give them bones i do feed them less for dinner to stop them getting to fat

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2012 16:46:29 GMT
Sushke says:
Excellent to hear!! I also know of small breeds that chew their way through chicken carcasses and bones without any problems whatsoever. They love them. It's real food it and gives them something to do - rather than eating a bowl of mush in the space of 3 mins. They are totally contented as they munch away and are totally satisfied afterwards. Am sure this will be of help to others, thank you for your posting Ms. Emo.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Feb 2012 12:03:18 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 29 Feb 2012 12:05:24 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Feb 2012 13:21:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Feb 2012 15:55:13 GMT
my toy yorkie may be small but will munch her way throught the bones wit no problems at all.She is 6 years old has never had bad teeth she may take longer than my jack and belgium but she gets there in the end happy as ever.I would recomend if like me you have 3 diffrent sized dogs i would get the same sized bones [the bigger the better say my dogs] or you will find the little one sitting chewing the biggist bone and a big dog wit the smallest.
My dogs eat a raw food diet ( and a bone as a treat ) makes there coat and teeth look brill.I have heard about chicken carcasses but wit the bones being small is this safe for my big dog?

Posted on 29 Feb 2012 15:19:19 GMT
I find chewy dried tripe is also very good at teeth cleaning for my dogs. It does smell, but it's less likely to cause problems with cracked teeth or bowel obstructions than raw feeding, and even dogs that dislike eating raw meat (yes, there are quite a few of those) usually like dried tripe sticks.

(I tried raw feeding but found one of my dogs tended to bring the raw food back up which was very messy - so went back to a good quality kibble with various homecooked and wet foods as a topping).

Incidentally, I lost my elderly dog to a stomach tumour last week. The first question my vet asked when I brought her in ill was 'does she eat bones' - as apparently they have seen many dogs with severe stomach problems recently as a result of eating bones, and the symptoms look very similar.

If you are considering raw feeding dogs with bones, I'd suggest be very careful and make sure you are only feeding bones that can't go down whole or have lumps gnawed off that could get stuck.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Feb 2012 16:04:57 GMT
C. Castrey says:
Hi Helen

Your post made me laugh! I've bought dentastix in the past and they must have lasted all but 6 seconds! What a waste of money! I agree natural diets are best but I don't give my dogs chicken bones as I am afraid they will stick in the throat.

Christine

Posted on 29 Feb 2012 18:48:20 GMT
Smaller bones are easier to break than larger ones so it's down to you if you feel comfortable enough giving them to your dog. Only yesterday I took home a whole partridge (fresh road kill) and mine ate it no question from feathers to feet.

Dogs have been bred to eat what humans make for them rather than what they should eat. It's a sad day when a dog doesn't enjoy a meaty bone and would rather eat kibble. I guess it's akin to children preferring smarties to an apple. It's nature and nurture. Bad breeding and bad parenting, that's the owner.

I'd personally rather spend the rest of my life eating fresh meat, fruit and veg as opposed to microwave meals and fast food and the same goes for my dog.

And to that vet who appallingly blamed eating bones on a tumor that led to a dogs death, it wouldn't surprise me if he then, knowing you had other dogs, suggested a food that he conveniently sold. A ridiculous sweeping statement from someone that cares more about his bank balance than his job.

A dog that doesn't know how to eat a raw diet and has spent all of his life wolfing kibble down in 2 minutes needs to be taught, in the wild he would learn from his peers and as a pet it's down to his owners.

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 11:01:02 GMT
Lenny says:
"Interesting" discussion!

There's one way and one way only everyone should be feeding their dogs. 80% meaty meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organs. No veg, no fruit, no grains. End of.

Dogs are carnivores and have absolutely no requirement for veg/fruit/grains. They need meat, bones and organs. It's simple.

As much as us humans have changed the appearence of dogs on the outside, their insides are very much the same as they were hundreds of years ago.

Do your dog a favour and move it onto a raw prey model diet. They will thank you no end for it and you will both reap the benefits. Nicer coat, no dog breath, ice white teeth with not a single sight of any brown stains, less dog "waste" to pick up (significantly less) because the dog can utilise just about all that is going in. The list goes on and on.

Check out rawlearning dot com for all you need to know about raw feeding.

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 11:05:42 GMT
Lenny says:
Oh and one more thing, you should NEVER feed your dog the weight bearing bones of large animals such as cows. They are way to dense to be considered safe for a dog, you are asking for a tooth fracture. I understand that many people may do this and they believe it isn't causing a problem but over time it will wear the dogs teeth down and like I said before, it could fracture.

Stick to softer bones. Chicken bones are the softest. Pork and lamb bones are also an excellent choice. Having said that, bones shouldn't really be fed on their own. They should be fed attached to a load of meat, like a rack of ribs or a nice half chicken!

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 12:35:38 GMT
Lenny, pretty much all of what you say is spot on and I'm in full agreement, not feeding bone on it's on it something I appear to have negated to mention but it's spot on advice. Also with weight bearing bone, such as the femur from a cow, is again advice that is on the money.

I would say, however, that whilst feeding fruit and veg is not needed, a dog in the wild will eat them if it fancies too, so if your dog likes carrot then let him have the occasional one.

Also it's worth noting that with the way some dogs have been bred they are less tolerant to out and out raw diet.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2012 12:51:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Mar 2012 12:55:19 GMT
Lenny says:
Alex, you're right that dogs in the wild would eat fruit/veg if they fancied it. That doesn't necessarily mean it does them any good though. I often find my dog trying to eat a slipper, or a sponge, or trying to lick up anything he takes his fancy to. Does that mean he should get it?

Feeding fuit and veg is down to choice (the humans not the dogs). I choose not to feed it as I believe it does more harm than good. This is through the research I have done. It seems quite simple to me that if you feed something and the vast majority of it comes out the other end, it really hasn't done much good for your dog and this is the case with fruit and veg.

With regard to tolerance to a raw diet. In my opinion, all dogs will eventually settle in to raw diet phenominally well, after all, it is the way nature intended. Even if it takes a bit of tough love and perseverance in the transition period, they will eventually get there. For anyone who is reading this thinking of switching to raw, by transition I don't mean you should transition your dog to raw mixed with kibble for a week or more. It should always be done cold turkey. At no point should you be feeding processed dog food AND raw. They are too different for your dogs digestive system to handle at the same time. By transition I mean the time it takes for your dog to settle into it. We had no problems what so ever switching our dog, he took to it like a duck to water and we have never looked back.

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 13:10:45 GMT
Hmm, you've made the point that dogs will try to eat pretty much anything by references a slipper and missed the point completely, dogs will eat pretty much anything if allowed to. I guess we will have to agree to disagree in regards to vegetables. I must point out that it's not part of my dogs diet, but he is eyeing up a tomato, he can have it...wether or not it comes out the other end in pretty much the same state it went in, that's his choice.

No amount of regulation will prevent a dog finding something on a walk and eating it...I'm sure we have all experienced out dogs taste for foxes waste matter!

Also, transition to raw diet cold turkey from feeding kibble is a tall ask, having spent a lifetime eating kibble and in most cases having a bloodline that goes back 10 generations of feeding kibble, it puts a massive strain on a dog. Yes, I agree, in the wild they'd have no choice, but they'd also be eating raw from a very young age. I'm not saying its impossible to switch 100% straight away but softening the blow will make it easier. Feeding cooked chicken, then introducing raw would be a better method rather than a pigs heart and raw beef as a first meal.

It's taken decades of kibble and over breeding to gets dogs in the state they are now and it will take the same again to get them out of it. I just fear it will never happen because there is no money in it.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2012 13:26:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Mar 2012 13:31:38 GMT
Lenny says:
I would never suggest going straight for pigs heart and raw beef as a first meal. What I would suggest is starting out with chicken quarters, halves or even whole depending on the size of the dog and sticking to that for a good few weeks, then slowly introduce other meats and organs, one at a time. I think we're pretty much on the same page with the ultimate goal anyway mate :-)

The majority of dogs these days, although may appear perfectly healthy, are in a terrible state inside, what with all the crap food that they are fed, endless vaccinations, unnecessary flea/tick/worming poisons, the companies who sell them call them treatments! The amount of dogs which die of cancer is not right, it is saddening that 80% of dogs have periodontal disease by the age of three! We have done these things to our companions and it does need to change and it can change very easily by feeding a species appropriate diet. But like you say, it will probably never happen because there is no money it. Although there seem to be more and more of these frozen pet mince type products sold these days but that's a whole other discussion.

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 14:27:29 GMT
Sushke says:
Lenny and Alex, as you may have guessed I agree with both of you. Re: the fruit and veg. Lenny, it is not given to my dog as part of her meal - it's an add on that she can eat if she wishes. As mentioned with both my Newfie and Leo, they chose to eat the veg and fruit if it was around. In a field not far from where we live there is a hedgerow with blackberries in abundance during late summer/autumn. Given the opportunity my Leo makes a beeline for it and delicately removes the blackberries and munches merrily on them, with no input from me whatsoever. I don't stop her either. I wondered if she might hurt herself on a thorn, but she removes them with such care. She knows and she loves them. If I am in my fruit cage collecting raspberries, guess who is watching me like a hawk? Should I drop any on the ground it is a contest between my dog and the chickens to see who can hoover them the quickest. Niether miss a trick. Our prickly wild gooseberry bush at the bottom of the garden we leave unprotected for the wildlife and birds to feast on and again who do I see down there periodically removing the fruit very delicately.....my Leo. She probably eats 4/5 at each sitting and then just wanders off. Dogs know what they need, they are not stupid. As Alex said, 'I'd personally rather spend the rest of my life eating fresh meat, fruit and veg as opposed to microwave meals and fast food and the same goes for my dog.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2012 14:48:35 GMT
Lenny says:
I wouldn't say I stop him from eating fruit and veg. I just don't feed it. If something gets dropped on the floor, I wouldn't break my neck to get there before Fred does. And I know my other half gives him tidbits when she is eating fruit or veg. But it by no means forms part of his main meal and it isn't a regular thing.

One thing Fred does do is regulate the amount he eats himself. I put food down that is much much bigger than what he would eat in one sitting. He eats the amount he wants then usually wraps it up in the towel he's eaten it on "for later" :-)

It obviously doesn't stay there. Whatever he doesn't eat I pick up and put back in the fridge for his next meal. Works perfectly for us. No measuring, no cutting up, he sorts himself out.

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 14:59:41 GMT
Sushke says:
I also wish to add that it's appalling that the vet, mentioned above, came out with such claptrap re: the bone causing a tumour and subsequently a dogs death. Cruel, horrid and talk about twisting the truth. My first vet was dismayed when he knew I was feeding my dog a natural diet. He really tried to scare me and worked hard to convince me that pet food manufacturers knew best and that in fact, the Hills product they sold in the surgery would be far better for her. It apparently contained everything she needed. Needless to say, I changed my vet. The first time I visited my new vet, it wasn't relevant but I decided to mention my dogs raw meat, fruit, veg, chicken carcass diet and the vet beamed at me. She had no problems with this whatsoever and said she wished more owners would make the change. To have found someone, a professional, who said I was doing the right thing by my dog....and not trying to make me feel inadequate or stupid... I was just sooo happy!

Ms. S. A. Emo, apologies for not responding sooner but yes a chicken carcass with some meat on it will be fine for your large dog or small dog. The first time I did it I had to push all the scaremongering stories to the back of my mind and it was one of the hardest things. I truly didn't realise how much I had been brainwashed by the pet food industry and without realising.... also my previous vets. Meanwhile the dog was looking at me as tho' all her birthdays were about to come at once. I didn't make a song and dance about it just put it in on the ground outside. She immediately picked it up, carried it to the centre of the lawn and she was in heaven. We haven't looked back. We live in the sticks so I have them delivered alongwith a selection of other meats, from a company up north. All you need is a freezer. Go for it...your dog will love you for it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pets discussion forum (127 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Best way to keep the large dog restrained in a car 2 4 days ago
my collie 1 4 days ago
Westie skin problem 277 5 days ago
Westie in need :( 13 5 days ago
Best dog food? 277 6 days ago
Best diet for retired Greyhound? 24 19 days ago
Dogs urine killing the grass 27 21 days ago
paw cysts 42 22 days ago
German Shepherd Puppy What to do while Im at work??? 41 25 days ago
My dog's skin is driving me mad please help!!! 1138 25 May 2014
How do I stoppuppy chewing furniture 2 19 May 2014
Weeing Problems 3 12 May 2014

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pets discussion forum
Participants:  81
Total posts:  235
Initial post:  11 Feb 2012
Latest post:  3 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions