Customer Discussions > Pets discussion forum

Ferrets, opinions as pets????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Mar 2012 21:26:53 GMT
I'm thinking about purchasing 2 ferrets, either as kits or maybe rehoming older ones from a rescue centre if possible. I have done my research regarding neutering, food needs and care needs etc......
Trouble is, I don't have any handling experience and no one I know owns any ferrets. Do you have or have you had any ferrets as pets? What are your opinions on them? Would love to hear from a real person who has them rather than read basic information.

Thanks

Posted on 22 Mar 2012 09:43:53 GMT
Lenny says:
I know that the best way to feed them is a raw prey model diet.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2012 13:19:54 GMT
jenh says:
They make great pets if you have enough time to handle them and free run them daily. They are pretty easy to litter train so can be kept caged or in a whole room, if caged they should be out at least 2 hours a day. The more they are handled the less they are likely to bite, most can be really friendly and it is great fun teaching them tricks with a clicker. They are happy to sleep most of the day and night which makes them good pets as you don't have to feel guilty about going out to work and leaving them!

Posted on 22 Mar 2012 13:21:58 GMT
jenh says:
Also, the raw diet model is good, but there are some pretty good dry diets available now which are a lot easier to use. I prefer James Wellbeloved as they all seem to enjoy it and they don't smell as much as when feeding some other foods.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2012 16:40:37 GMT
Lenny says:
Personally I don't think it's any easier to feed dry food.

Posted on 22 Mar 2012 16:54:25 GMT
Thank you for your replies, I've done my research on how to keep them, how to look after them and what to feed them, I just wondered on personal experience of them. The playfulness, good points, bad points etc....

I'd like to weigh the pro's and cons up and find out if they would be the right pet for me before I commit to getting any.

Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 10:39:49 GMT
Lenny says:
There must be some ferret club websites knocking about somewhere?

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 11:54:29 GMT
I've got 6 of them and they all live on james wellbeloved. For ours its a treat to get some meat (left over chicken from sunday dinners so long as it doesn't have any salt - Pork is a BIG no no)

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 12:38:19 GMT
Thanks Lenny, I've found a few but most are informative on how to keep, what to feed, where ferrets originated from etc.... Which is how I researched their needs. What I am after is individual owners experiences, good experiences along with the bad, what I should expect and opinions on them as pets.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 12:47:57 GMT
Lenny says:
Raw, un-enhanced pork is definitely not a big no.

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 13:59:18 GMT
Lenny, do you have pet ferrets? Or have you kept them in the past?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2012 14:05:07 GMT
Lenny says:
Not myself but I know people who have.

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 14:21:31 GMT
Ok, well, I don't really need to know what to feed them ect, I know all that, I want to know what they are like as pets, some people love to watch them for hours, some have horror stories of being bitten, I'm after owners experiences. But thanks for your opinions.

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 14:23:29 GMT
Lenny says:
Sorry for hijacking your thead :)

Posted on 23 Mar 2012 15:49:33 GMT
Lol, no worries :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2012 19:36:08 GMT
shell c says:
hi anna, i have a pet ferret who is almost 3 years old. she is adorable, loving, playful and very friendly. i would highly recommend having them as pets and they dont bite if handled from an early age. a gentle tap on the nose learns them not to do it and mine has never bitten anyone.. good luck :)

Posted on 24 Mar 2012 22:39:13 GMT
Thank you Michelle, do you just have the one? What is the smell like? Some people describe it as musky, others say it smells like urine, there are so many different descriptions and to be honest, I thought it'd be easier to talk to someone who owns them rather than reading basic info! Also, are there any bad points to owning them? I just. Want to consider everything before making a decision.

Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012 00:35:21 GMT
W. A. Clarke says:
I have had several ferrets over the past 12 years. Great fun to watch exploring a house. Mine are caged when I am not at home but usually get 6 hours out, 4 hours is the minimum they need, when they have free run of three rooms and stairs/ landing. You need extra litter (box\s) watch where try to do their business, always in a corner!! and place a box there, they always use the same place(s).
A vet who knows ferrets can be very hard to find and expensive, and may not know all the latest ferret research - American and some European countries. My vet and I swap, I point him to the best info and he sometimes reduces my charges. Neutering is becoming a very contentious issue in now being believed
the main cause of adrenal disease. The best method is to use chemical neutering using Deslorelin (trade name Suprelorin (9.4mg for dogs is the only version to use and lasts for 12 months) It costs the same as neutering each year but can save much more on vet bills.
Last thing No Carbohydrates, ie vegetable or sugars causes insulinoma (opposite of diabetes)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012 00:45:28 GMT
W. A. Clarke says:
Also beg borrow or steal or even buy "Ferrets for dummies" best book available

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 19:05:21 BDT
noodle says:
i have 2 rescue ferrets, they do make lovely pets but they are so clever i bring mine indoors and have to barracade cupboard doors, move everything around because if they can get in it, they will! they also get chased by the dog, and vise versa, they are amazing to watch as they frizz up and go crazy, they are also loving and do come up for a cuddle and gives me kisses!
hope that helps

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:26:46 BDT
shell c says:
I keep mine outside in a hutch but bring her in the house to play every day, she and the dog are great friends! They do smell a bit but nothing too bad, i think the boys are a bit smellier than the girls :) they are very naughty and get into everything.. I call her 'the whirlwind'! I think they can be kept indoors and litter trained etc but mine is happy enough living outside. She eats dried cat food along with the odd chicken treat and is perfectly healthy.. they do tend to drink a lot of water. Hope this helps with your decision :)

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:42:35 BDT
Thank you, you've been really helpful! I've joined a ferret forum now, it's great! They've been lovely helping me with personal experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 20:45:55 BDT
shell c says:
im so pleased and im sure you wont regret it.. enjoy them and keep us updated :)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 09:36:53 BDT
HK says:
I have two ferrets, they came from the RSPCA about 6 months ago. They are very playful and fun to watch. They don't bite me (unless I get in the way when they are play fighting). However when I left them with my mum she wasn't as confident handling them and got bitten. Not sure if they didn't like me leaving them to go on holiday(!) or more likely they could tell she just wasn't very confiden. They don't really smell, but the bedding can do as they spend so much time in it so it needs washing regularly. Mine are girls, I think boys smell more. I went to my first ferret show recently and it was the first time I had met other ferret owners. Theres a whole community if you want to get involved and its a family friendly day out. My older one is very calm and I can take her for walks on a lead. The younger one gets very excited so is really a house ferret and too small for a lead anyway. Coming from a rescue shelter, they are fine with other animals and regularly put the neighbours cat firmly in its place! Have also met plenty of dogs and kids in the park and never had any problems. I work long hours but as long as you can let them run around the house each day, theres not a need to walk them or commit lots of time each day. They only problem I ever had is they are escape artists so you need to watch them constantly when they are free in the house. I try to limit them to one room at a time but they have learnt how to spot a door thats not properly closed or a gap somewhere they can get in (but not out of again)

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 17:00:20 BDT
I have 8 ferrets, 5 were rescue ferrets and 3 we had from kits! Our live indoors in a huge cage where they have plenty room to run around! The kits were a handful at first and very nippy but we handled them everyday and there are great now! Only thing I would say about one of our rescue ferrets is the had no medical background! One of our rescues now has kidney/liver problems and is a lot older than we were led to believe when we got him! But I would definitely recommend them as pets! Even our puppy loves playing with them!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pets discussion forum (128 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pets discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  21 Mar 2012
Latest post:  12 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions