Customer Discussions > netbooks discussion forum

netbook or tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 May 2011 18:56:20 BDT
Inedia says:
Would like to hear from those who have favour netbook and those who favour tablets. Seen the Dell Duo Hybrid which is both. Wondering if the Samsung 10" out later is worth waiting for, and also the Blackberry Playbook.

Definitely don't want the iPad.

Posted on 30 May 2011 00:47:55 BDT
Ryan Sammut says:
I have an iPad 2 (it does a perfect job for a tablet, if you don't want an iPad I would consider the Android 3.0 tablets), and a netbook. It all depends on your need. A tablet is better because it's lighter, thinner, and more portable, and does a great job for multimedia tasks such as reading, mails, browsing, watching movies, playing games, taking notes etc. A netbook needs less explanation, because of course we boot it with the usual Windows 7, and you can do much more than you can with a tablet. So if you want it for mails browsing, and reading go for a tablet, if you want it for everything go for a netbook.

Posted on 2 Jul 2011 21:02:04 BDT
R. Munro says:
Or go for a Chromebook if you want to browse with a keyboard...

Posted on 18 Jul 2011 04:44:56 BDT
Joao Silva says:
I want to browse with keyboard, watch movies when i feel like it, and have great battery life. Using CAD software would be possible too. Netbooks are better for college than tablets, as you can carry them everywhere you go, and you could be 2 days without charging them if you wanted, or take them to a friends house after school and hooked it to a tv or sound system.

Posted on 26 Jul 2011 11:24:54 BDT
Rogue says:
Asus transformer gives you the best of both worlds and great battery life of over 16 hours

Posted on 29 Jul 2011 17:54:52 BDT
If you want the best of both, then get the Asus Eee Pad Transfromer. With it's keyboard dock not only will its battery life easily trump everything else out there, its a great tablet, and being Android there are hundreds of thousands of apps, so things like Office shouldnt be a problem. Steer clear of that Hybrid Dell laptop/tablet thing. It doesnt work well as a tablet at all, its touchscreen and the fact that its no smaller than a regular netbook. For a the price of a normal laptop or a high end Android tablet, you get an underpowered netbook with a poor touchscreen

Posted on 10 Aug 2011 00:04:33 BDT
S. E. Barr says:
Sounds like a sad question but on either of these devices are you able to play facebook games???
Thanks

Posted on 22 Aug 2011 15:13:01 BDT
Chris says:
Sorry to arrive late to the debate. If you wait long enough, something will turn up.
I have just bought a Galaxy 10.1 and have to say that it is the nearest thing to an ipad so far. An excellent machine, and I can see why Apple slapped an injunction on it. A little slower than the ipad, it still seems to perform well enough to suit me. Sleek, light and with a 8.99 case from podjunkie, I seem to have what I need at last without buying into the itunes franchise.
Sorry Steve (Jobs).

Posted on 22 Aug 2011 16:54:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Aug 2011 16:55:03 BDT
MBN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2011 18:40:29 BDT
Klinkie says:
Ryan, if you say the netbook can do much more, what exactly does it extra besides what you stated for the tablet? You mean you can put extra programs on there like Picasa, Photoshop etc.? But then, how much memory does a netbook have for these extra programs?

Posted on 12 Sep 2011 19:10:07 BDT
Arthur Dent says:
A netbook is a small, and not very powerful laptop. Usually they accept normal 2.5" storage devices, making them much more useful in terms of storage than a tablet, and have USB and LAN ports, as well as the sd card readers often found on tablets.

I like the Acer Aspire One range, generally the most RAM they accept seems to be 2GB, though some models accept 4GB. At less than 200, with the money saved against buying a tablet, you could install a very nice 2.5" SSD drive.

I would say a tablet would be best suited if you only wanted to look at, or consume things, whereas a netbook is more useful for producing a piece of work, or absolutely anything else really.

Neither a tablet, nor a netbook would be as powerful as an eight year old Pentium M laptop I am looking to replace.

Posted on 19 Jan 2012 15:35:17 GMT
CAA says:
I have an ipad and can't wait to get rid of it. have used the samsung galaxy and it is much better and runs sites requiring flash player. i am heading down the route of a netbook again as they are much more versatile and now that you can have windows premium on them and 4MB RAM or more its a no brainer. I will then get the new Samsung Galaxy 8.9 for fun and travelling when I don't need a laptop.

Posted on 24 Jan 2012 19:35:24 GMT
rexlee2113 says:
Netbook as you can upgrade the ram and open it up if theres a fault, cant do any of that on a tablet. :D

Posted on 12 Feb 2012 18:15:17 GMT
Arthur Dent hit the nail on the head. You buy a mid range netbook and put an SSD inside it. This will boost the performance to beyond your expectations and make for a very happy end user. I recommend getting an Acer with a dual-core, not one of the single n450, n550 etc as you will want a little extra in the processing power department. Something like an Acer Aspire 722 with a C50 or C60 processor - 1gig & 1.33gig dual core processors, also 4GB RAM can go in these...... with the SSD upgrade @ 115 for a 120GB SSD you will end up with a godlike netbook.

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 09:14:00 GMT
J. A. Suter says:
I have a computer and a laptop but I want to use a tablet with wifi so that I can skype paeople outside my home, say in the car within a wifi hot spot. Can you tell me if I am right in buying a mototola xoomm. I do not want to buy from apple.
Janet Suter
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the netbooks discussion forum (36 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  netbooks discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  29 May 2011
Latest post:  4 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions