Customer Discussions > netbooks discussion forum

What to buy - tablet or notebook?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Dec 2012 16:38:32 GMT
Hello to anyone who might be able to help me! I am looking for something 'smalland lightweight' - tablet or notebook - that I can use to email, skype, and use microsoft office on. I want to be able to carry it easily around with me in my bag and use it to work on and keep in touch with people when away from home/work eg on holiday, on a training course. I have tried to read up on this myself but am really confused as to what would best suit my needs. I dont want to spend more than 300 if possible. Many thanks. Ali

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 22:06:41 GMT
Zardon says:
For 300 you are limited in regards to a tablet. First question you need to ask yourself is which operating system do you want or need...

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 09:04:58 GMT
tablets do have enough oomph to do what your after, have a look at the asus transformer range, they transform into netbooks with high quality keyboards which double as a second battery, thye also come in windows rt and android, a tablet by itssellf can be a pain to type on so any asus transformer... i use the the asus transformer prime, the ipad2 beater on all fronts, i say that as a mac only user..

Posted on 29 Dec 2012 10:15:47 GMT
Travel Grom says:
May I jump into this discussion. I've just got home from visiting new great-grandchildren. My needs are similar to the original request - but I am keen to share photos. I use windows 7 and have a Samsung Galaxy mini. Need to travel light, but need a decent keyboard. etc - look forward to hearing more. I'm not familiar with asus transformer prime but will try to find out more. Thanks - Dorothy

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 16:22:47 GMT
transformer prime is android os, front facing cam is 8mp, and extremely good with full 1080p video, screen is 1280/800, 16-9 format and so bright its usable in full sunshine. however, its only flaw is the full metal case, the wifi is about 15% weaker, and gps effectively does not work, asus provided a click on bar to make it work. i would recommend the transformer tf700 and tf 300, and the vivo for windows rt, all of which are similar spec to the prime but slightly cheaper, the keyboard itself is a chicklet key one, superior to any netbook i tested bar none, i'm not a touch typist but i am a macbook pro user and i am delighted with the typing experience on the prime tf201, keyboard also has a full size usb and a second full size memory card slot 'tablet itself has a microsd card slot' the trackpad on the prime is multitouch and very usable, total weight of tab and keyboard is 2.6lbs, the battery life is around 18 hours, thats 18 hours of use from videos to browsing to photoediting with pixlr express, a great free app.
i have never been able to run battery down to below 10%, thats in 1 years ownership, the prime uses the tegra 3 processor, it is 1.3ghz quad core 'actually 5 cores' and provides a silky smooth fast experience, the free apps for android are incredible, via the google playstore you can relax about safety etc..android is now up to 4.1.1, called jellybean os, so as good as your galaxy mini is, i have the galaxy ace myself, you can expect a similar but more expansive compuetr like experience, sharing photos is as simple as two clicks, the front camera on the prime is superb, 8mp stills are truly outstanding in all conditions, the 1080p video mode can be twitchy, which it also is on my 2000 macbook pro, but the 720p video is beyond belief, smooth detailed . iheartily recommend these tablets and keyboards, having used this for a year, i find it hard to see why all tablets didnt go down this road, instead opting for poorish keyboards and missing the way forward all together.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 16:11:47 GMT
Hi Zardon...I want to use Windows as my operating system!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 16:15:03 GMT
Thanks Alan - that all sounds like it answers my question! I will do some looking into what you recommended...its tricky when you know what you want to do but dont know or ubnserstand fully the technical terminology etc!

Posted on 30 Dec 2012 17:56:49 GMT
Hi Alison, i m a professional singer of 45 yrs,not a pc whizz by these guy's stanards, i needed a platform for using backing trax and storing lyrics. It also had to be reliable and portable, i use the Archos 10" netbook, small enough to carry about, plenty of storage space, 3 usb and windows xp, i find it xlnt. Hope this is some use to you.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 18:00:22 GMT
Thanks Pauline...thats really helpful. Will get looking it up! Alison

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 07:56:37 GMT
sandra says:
Hi im not a great with a pc,but my son hogs the lap top in his room,i need something to surf net,watch films and listen to music,also pay my bills.I was thinking of a tablet,what do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2013 16:12:05 GMT
yeah laptop hogging is common now hehe, i saw an archos 13 inch tablet for 230 quid... which you might have a look at, tablets are great for coffee table surfing but having a good keyboard makes them a full scoped tool, remember all tablets have bluetooth and you can connect a cheap keyboard from asda if you need to do a bunch of emails, so all i can especially recommend is make sure it has at least 32gb memory and an extra memory card slot and an hdmi out socket,,, that lets you play stuff on tablet on your tv
the acer iconias, all good, screen res for 10 inch must be above 800/400, the asus tf300 and tf700 are expensive, the added keyboard with little trackpads are wonderful, and if money is no option i would suggest these, the samsung nexus 7inch or 10...the free apps from playstore make an android tab a great choice, remember to buy from amazon themself and avoid other sellers if possible,,, returning stuff to amazon is simple others sellers? more troublesome, if the item you want is being sold by non amazon just click the '7 available new and used button, which will give you a list of various sellers on amazons site usually includng amazon themself for majority of items... oh i should mention i have a beautiful 15 inch macbook pro, and yet most of my surfing is done on my tablet...the asus transformers are that good

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 07:48:59 GMT
black berry play book is best @129.00
tariq

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 12:43:56 GMT
I have been tracking this discussion with interest & like the idea of tha Asus transformer. Looking at various websites there seem to be several different models,e.g. Asus prime, Vivo tab smart, tf 700, 720, etc. etc. Trouble is, which is best & where can I buy it?

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 13:47:48 GMT
jik, can i further ocnfuse the issue by suggesting you take a look at asus vivobooks... similar price to the transformers but proper laptops with a touchscreen, 'take that apple'
for the best tablet? Asus Vivo TF810C 11.6 inch tablet ... it is windows operating system. and 700 quid price tag... but it makes my 1 year old 15 inch macbook pro look old fashioned, and buy from amazon, always, returns policy is prompt. choose gold over grey if you can,, grey is actually metalic purple, not PURPLE' ! just a muted dark shade, but its not grey, gold or champagne one looks slightly better ,, and more grey??? and buy the biggest memory you can on board and a micro hdmi,

Posted on 31 Jan 2013 09:44:32 GMT
Windows suffice good ?????

Posted on 1 Feb 2013 22:13:26 GMT
S. Radcliffe says:
So much choice! Wife and I were fighting over an iPad so have just added a Samsung chromebook 3 and a 7 inch NATPC tablet to our collection. Wife *loves* the chromebook and has taken to the cloud like a duck to water (she just wants browsing, email, and relatively simple WP). The NATPC is incredible value at ~75. Add a 60 wifi hotspot and we have full internet mobility for all of them. I appreciate the greater file management capability of the Android machine than the iPad, and the chromebook keyboard is good enough for serious creation of text for uploading to full PC environment. NATPC isn't quite as nice to view as the iPad but can't complain at the price. We havn't moved to smart phones yet (kids think we are in the dark ages but our eyesight isn't up to it) but the NATPC is only slightly less portable and gives me connectivity on the road/rail if I need it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the netbooks discussion forum (35 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xb443a0a8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  netbooks discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  28 Dec 2012
Latest post:  1 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions