Customer Discussions > mystery discussion forum

Desperately looking for a book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Nov 2011 22:47:36 GMT
Sylvia says:
I'm looking for a historical book about secrets, madness and a family curse I read along while ago. Unfortunately I can't remember the author or the title.

The book starts with the main character (whose name may/may not be Martha) coming back to her paternal family manor after her mother's death. It's as if she met them for the first time because she has no memories from early childhood, scarred by the tragic event which ended her father's and brother's life. The several family members she encounters in the property seem rather passive and resigned to their fate. Almost everyone tries to convince her to stay, wait for the inevitable and never have any children to pass on the "curse".

The main character seems rather inquisitive and as the events unfold she makes continuous attempts at uncovering the secrets of her father's and other deaths in the family. As a result she puts herself in danger. I can't remember who the murderer was but the curse was a mistification. I loved the suspense and a very dark, almost gothic atmosphere of this story. I wish I could read it again.

Can you help me?
Your reply to Sylvia's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2011 20:33:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2011 20:40:05 GMT
LEP says:
Is it a Victoria Holt? Jean Plaidy writing as Victoria Holt wrote Gothic historicals. Maybe the Bride of Pendorric?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2011 20:53:04 GMT
Sylvia says:
Thank you for your help. No, it's not the book I'm looking for although it seems to have a lot of potential. The heroine was married which didn't happen in the story I read.

Posted on 27 Nov 2011 22:53:19 GMT
Possibly one of Phyllis Whitney's stories - she does fabulous mix of suspense/mystery/romance

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 12:43:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2011 12:44:26 GMT
LEP says:
Oh I'd forgotten Phyllis Whitney. Perhaps it's Silverhill (heroine's name is Mallie), or one of her others?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 19:45:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2011 19:58:21 GMT
Sylvia says:
THe plot seems very similar but the heroine should return to her father's ancestral home, not her mothers. Also, the grandmother is a strong and controlling character I remember she seemed to favour one of the male cousins for a simple reason him being adopted and not blood related. From the reviews I can see many similarities but it's still not the novel that is haunting me :)

I'm not very sure of where the main character's mother took her after her husband's and sons' death but I think it was London. So that would put all the events in England, possibly.

Posted on 28 Nov 2011 20:18:50 GMT
C. King says:
I have published my first novel The Fall Of Essence (claire king)
It is a story about an 18 year old, Rosanna Smith -- who, after being strangely drawn to a mysterious man, falls in love with him. A whole new world opens up to her and she learns secrets of her past that either can destroy her or make her stronger. She knows her place -- and it's with the mysterious Lyndon; until a tragedy happens that leads to the revelations of the most unthinkable truth. Her world comes crashing down. Does she survive? Does she have someone else to turn to? Or does she go against everyone around her and follow what's in her heart?
I am writing the second novel, there will be 4 in total.
I would love for someone to read it and give reviews as i'm genuinely interested in what people think. I've been told the characters are one's you can believe in and care for but have not had nearly as much reviews as i would like. Friends and family, although appreciated -- can be somewhat rose-tinted. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.
Claire King

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 22:10:00 GMT
LEP says:
C King, why don't you post this on the Fiction forum instead of in the middle of another posting?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 22:11:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Nov 2011 22:12:34 GMT
LEP says:
There's a dominant grandmother in the Silverhill novel. Otherwise, I'm sorry I don't know.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2011 22:16:32 GMT
C. King says:
Sorry LEP, i'm new to this and posted it in the wrong place . I will get there in the end lol

Posted on 29 Nov 2011 00:08:08 GMT
Mews says:
Sylvia, I am not familiar with the book you are talking about. But here are a couple of links to websites that may be of help if you post the question on them. http://www.whatsthatbook.com/index.php?xcatid=1
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/185.What_s_The_Name_of_That_Book_

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 03:04:58 GMT
You can't self promote here at all, only on Meet Our Authors.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 14:26:19 GMT
LEP says:
People still do promote on these forums though Vixen, if you look through the various discussion forums there are loads promoting books.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 15:24:00 GMT
People still rob banks, too. Doesn't make it right.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 21:38:33 GMT
LEP says:
My point is Vixen, if Amazon are not policing and enforcing the rule, if it is a rule, then there's not much the rest of us can do about it except flag them all up to Amazon every time they post.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2011 22:53:57 GMT
Then start clicking Report Abuse.

If it wasn't for the vigilance of the readers in the Romance Forum it would have gone the way of the Thriller Forum, too. But it didn't. It's a thriving forum because readers there are on top of things are don't let spammers take over.

It is a rule and Amazon does zap them. We just help.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 02:24:19 GMT
Sylvia says:
Thanks for the links. I'm definitely gonna try them. It's so annoying when something keeps nagging at your mind.

Posted on 30 Nov 2011 15:17:33 GMT
C. King says:
I'm gonna sound rather silly here but how do i get onto the "meet our Authors" part?? Thanks, C.King

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 15:22:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Nov 2011 15:24:56 GMT
Oops! I linked to .com Meet Our Authors. I don't know if you have one on .uk. Here's the link in case you are interested:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 16:58:28 GMT
LEP says:
Yet you say later on Vixen that you don't even know if Amazon UK has a meet the authors site.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 18:33:19 GMT
The link I gave was for the Meet Our Authors forum on Amazon.com.

When I came here I didn't realize at first it was the UK site (I track this discussion). I left my link in case C. King was interested.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2011 22:27:01 GMT
No there isn't one here on the UK site, but the people who visit the US site, where there IS a MOA forum don't realise yet.

I assume Amazon will sort one out soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2012 23:09:35 GMT
greenpen says:
I think I have the answer. Could it be House Of Echoes by Barbara Erskine?

Description

The past isn't always dead or buried...
When Joss Grant, adopted at birth, inherits Belheddon Hall - a beautiful old house on the East Anglian coast - it is like a dream come true. Eager to begin a new life there with Luke, her husband, and Tom, her small son, she is also impatient to find out about her newly discovered family who lived there for generations.

But not long after they move in, Tom wakes screaming at night. Joss hears echoing voices and senses an invisible presence, watching her from the shadows. Are they spirits from the past? Or is she imagining them? As she learns, with mounting horror, of Belheddon's tragic and dramatic history, her fear grows very real, for she realises that both her family and her own sanity are at the mercy of a violent and powerful energy which seems beyond anyone's control.

House of Echoes

Posted on 31 Jan 2012 02:20:47 GMT
Readalot says:
It could be a Barbara Michaels title too, though I can;t think of a specific one that fits the description. If you like that kind of plot along with a nice atmospheric style of writing and some humour, you might well like books by BM.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the mystery discussion forum (67 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  mystery discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  26 Nov 2011
Latest post:  31 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions