Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Favouritist (sic) and least fave sounds in music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jan 2014 10:40:10 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Usually people like or dislike a song mainly because of the sound of particular instruments, ways of singing or tones of voice even if the rest of the instrumentation, groove etc blah is fine. So what are your three mega turn ons and mega tun offs? To kickstart..

ons
1. uillean pipes - sound good wherever they are and to my ears will usually lift average songs to becoming little beauts
2. ensemble drums - hard to not get stirred by the sounds of groups of drummers playing tight and loud in any styles like samba, taiko, banghra, Stomp....
3. the bass - i tend to focus on basslines when listening to music. I can do without guitars, keys, brass and singers but never bass whether played on guitar, keys or programmed.

offs
1. nasal singing - most X Factor and US teen pop tarts seem to sing from the back of the nose and always sound like they're whinging, You know it when you hear it.
2. Hammond organ - I have ranted enuff here about this
3. Solos by any instrument - mostly electric gutars - that are bolted onto songs because they're expected to be there. Am i alone in thinking EVH's solo on Jacko's Beat It is in fact utter pants and inappropriate to boot?

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 10:52:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2014 11:34:43 GMT
Derek W. says:
Off - The saxophone, instrument of the devil in what seems to be the majority of cases. The sax, when properly integrated into a band's sound balance adds to the music (Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band is a good example). When allowed to run wild and overpower everything else in the band it's appalling (Clarence Clemons was a good example especially on Bruce's live show releases).

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 11:48:40 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Viz Springsteen his more mellow stripped back songs are OKish but his full on rockier stuff with its everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-production is a godawful mess crowned by the dire sax parpings. In some of Clemons' obits you'd think they'd been talking about Charlie Parker. Dont like to speak ill of the dead but he was to sax what Ringo allegedly is to drums

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 11:55:13 GMT
Derek W. says:
On - Drums, but generally, not the 'drum solo'. At concerts, I focus on the drums, and find 'drum free music' generally pretty tedious (perhaps that's why I find the much loved on here Lau so boring), unless it's the likes of Richard Thompson playing solo who's so good he doesn't need any additional musicians.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 12:45:15 GMT
Lez Lee says:
Off: Organs. Vibraphone & xylophone. Bandoneon as in Piazziola stuff. Quite like accordions sometimes though.
On: Cello, guitar, drums.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 14:10:05 GMT
Good:
Guitar, bass, drums, piano, saxophone.

Bad:
Bagpipes, operatic soprano voice, artificial "keyboard type chords" often used in dance music; cinema sounding organs; anything badly played!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 14:16:15 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
hey CD my man you didnt mention monophonic synths, sequencers, Dubstep wobbly bass etc ;0)

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 14:18:34 GMT
RABB says:
On:

Prominent bassline, reverb, a little bit of feedback or a 'ghost note' at the end of a bar.

Off:

'vocal gymnastics', 'you're perfect just the way you are' lyrics, sampling an old song I like.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 14:41:56 GMT
But I thought we were talking about music Nuge ;-)

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 14:55:17 GMT
Grimmy says:
On: Sitars; mellotrons; National Steel;

Off: gloomy introspective lyrics; overwrought brass sections; fast technical showy offy soloing

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:12:55 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 18 Jan 2014 14:02:17 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 15:18:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2014 15:20:01 GMT
DereK, give The Turning Point by John Mayall a listen - no drums but you don't (well I don't) miss them . Saw the line-up live which was magic :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 15:18:02 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
tsss...kerching..I fell for that one CD :0)

stuck to 3 to avoid long posts but one other On: slide playing on acoustic and resonator guitars

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 15:51:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2014 15:53:14 GMT
TheFoe says:
On - Bass guitar, loud drums, trombone (let's face it Nuge the trombone makes 'At The River' a great tune)

Off - The way bands like Mumford and Sons sing, (faux folk?), Vocals on most prog songs, the songs start off so well and then this weedy male voice starts singing, be a man for Christ's sake! Dubstep, gives techno a bad name and sounds like synthesised vomit.

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:15:59 GMT
FDJ says:
On - Guitars, bass, Hammond organ, flute, sax, drums

Off - Possessed by the devil vocals , drum machines (they just don't swing), operatic vocals in metal

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 16:25:44 GMT
Derek W. says:
Not even Cornish Bagpipes Cornish?

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:28:17 GMT
whit's wrang wi' the bonny pipes, michty me!

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 16:30:27 GMT
on - 0.1%

off - 99.9%

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 17:12:34 GMT
No, no, no Derek, there's a local folk band with pipes that I have suffered many times at work :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 17:30:48 GMT
Derek W. says:
I don't know Cornish, even the Dead experimented with bagpipes (but only once, and a long way back in the mix, as far as I can tell):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Q3ziJIthc

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 17:36:14 GMT
David E says:
I find myself agreeing with Cornish with regard to bagpipes, I can't stand them.

on - guitar, mandolin, bass, organ, piano, drums
off - bagpipes, drum solos, singing 10 notes when one will do, Phil Collins

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 19:16:18 GMT
easytiger says:
off -shouted hysterical vocals from talentless females like Katy Perry, Ga-ga and synthesised male vocals on every 'lurv' disco/soul song. Shrieking harmonies a la Queen

On - Noise

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2014 19:19:35 GMT
Surely you mean Le Noise !

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 23:24:25 GMT
Sparky says:
Anyone putting a string arrangement on any recording should be strung up.
Anyone involved in recording a drum solo, in any capacity, should be sealed in a pickled herring barrel and sent over Niagara Falls.
Banjo players should be re-habilitated into the community if possible, but a custodial sentence may be necessary for hardened cases.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014 16:31:43 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 18 Jan 2014 14:03:08 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 8826 2 minutes ago
Music Forum Artist(s) - Track 279 - AC/DC nominated by Collette - Voting!! 16 12 minutes ago
MP3 Song Title Intercourse - The Unceasing Conversation Continues... 1413 20 minutes ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - Track 98 Nominations - . Anthems - no, not national anthems, the genuine cigarette lighter in the air (whoops, that's old school; sorry, I meant smart phones), sing along song that no act dare leave out of its live sh 33 1 hour ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - Track 97 Votes - Makes & models of cars - any song with the name of a car manufacturer or one of their models (even if the song isn't about a car e.g. Wild Rover 38 7 hours ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6158 9 hours ago
Follow the Lyric Game 8255 10 hours ago
New Eleni Mandell video ! ! ! 26 12 hours ago
Beautiful Songs and Music. 41 13 hours ago
Reggae/Dub Forum Road Show 2033 1 day ago
Music Forum Artist(s) - Track 279 - AC/DC nominated by Collette - Nominations!! 47 2 days ago
Deadheads Utd 8143 2 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  16 Jan 2014
Latest post:  22 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions