Usually people like or dislike a song mainly because of the sound of particular instruments, ways of singing or tones of voice even if the rest of the instrumentation, groove etc blah is fine. So what are your three mega turn ons and mega tun offs? To kickstart..
1. uillean pipes - sound good wherever they are and to my ears will usually lift average songs to becoming little beauts
2. ensemble drums - hard to not get stirred by the sounds of groups of drummers playing tight and loud in any styles like samba, taiko, banghra, Stomp....
3. the bass - i tend to focus on basslines when listening to music. I can do without guitars, keys, brass and singers but never bass whether played on guitar, keys or programmed.
1. nasal singing - most X Factor and US teen pop tarts seem to sing from the back of the nose and always sound like they're whinging, You know it when you hear it.
2. Hammond organ - I have ranted enuff here about this
3. Solos by any instrument - mostly electric gutars - that are bolted onto songs because they're expected to be there. Am i alone in thinking EVH's solo on Jacko's Beat It is in fact utter pants and inappropriate to boot?