Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Which Bands/Artists new releases will you always buy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jan 2013 11:22:26 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Are there bands out there whose output you have to have in your collection and would you purchase them without even listening. If the quality wasn't up to scratch, would you keep it regardless?

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 11:53:21 GMT
RAB says:
If there was such a band I don't think I'd be able to purchase it without listening, as I'd be playing any single that came out over and over in anticipation.

At present I'm hoping Warpaint, Cage the Elephant and maybe The Kills all announce albums which would go straight on my "to buy" list.

If I didn't like it I just wouldn't listen to it as much, but I'd still keep it as I may come to like it after a few listens. Case in point The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. Thought it was rubbish as an album at first, but revisited it after a few months and grew to love it.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 12:34:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jan 2013 21:13:24 GMT
Gordon Dent says:
Not any more. Up to the mid-eighties I would buy any Hawkwind album as soon as it was released but from The Chronicle Of The Black Sword on the quality became too variable and it became difficult to work out what was a new album, what was a new collection of disparate live recordings and what was a repackaging of stuff that had been released before. (I also realized at last what a poor songwriter Dave Brock is and that it was only the instrumental jams that were interesting.) More recently, I bought every Van Morrison album up to Back On Top but had got fed up by then with the amount of filler on his albums. The two I have bought since then (Down The Road and What's Wrong With This Picture?) have barely been played because the two or three very good tracks are overwhelmed by the number of duds.

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 12:36:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jan 2013 12:43:26 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Yep, there are a fair few whose albums I'll buy without hearing first but if they still seem to suck after half a dozen spins I will get rid no matter what. Fr'instance I bought the most recent albums by Dreadzone, Groove Armada, The Prodigy, Pendulum and Massive Attack as I have all their other stuff. They soon made their way onto my Seller listing. Right now the only must buy for 2013 is the upcoming newie from Tosca, 'Odeon'. From the 30 sec clips on Zon it sounds great.

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 13:08:16 GMT
James Warner says:
I will always buy Bill Nelson's and Charlotte Hatherley's albums on trust, plus a couple of other even more obscure artists I have personal connections with. It's hard to know what I would do with an album if I didn't reckon much to it as I can't envisage that ever happening. I'd probably keep it for completeness and on the off-chance that it would grow on me.

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 13:55:39 GMT
Derek W. says:
Neil Young
Richard Thompson
The Decemberists
The Avett Brothers
Grateful Dead

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 14:27:48 GMT
Grateful Dead
Neil Young
Eels
Counting Crows
Steely Dan/Donald Fagen
Ryan Adams
Joni Mitchell
Jackson Browne

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 14:34:03 GMT
Collette says:
Rhydian. I really hope he releases a new album soon.

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 15:27:55 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Cornish, I'm with you on Ryan Adams but does that mean you have purchased Orion and the 174 track box set 'Life After Deaf'? It is now available as a 'download box set' Live After Deaf (Collection) for £75

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 16:37:57 GMT
Is Orion the vinyl only very restricted release as if it was, the answer is no. You should know me better than ask me if I'd pay for a download! - that' s not a proper release IMO.
My RA collection consists of 13 albums, 2 EPs + 1 boot.

There are several other artists which run into the dozens, or even more, but with such enormous catalogues I have never kept up fully. After the GD family, for sheer quantity, Hendrix & Miles Davis come next!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 16:51:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jan 2013 16:52:53 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Cornish, Live After Death is a 15 LP Vinyl Box set, which is also available as a download.
Would you have bought Orion if it was more widely available, even though it is a Black Metal Rock Opera?

Sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhX-gHSxsmw

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 17:34:56 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Pearl Jam
Neil Young
Porcupine Tree
Autechre
Donald Fagen

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 18:19:00 GMT
Probably MC!
Last bought vinyl in 88 I think as it was very early 89 that I moved to CDs, but I have had vinyl given to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 18:25:17 GMT
I would have put up Porky Tree as well Red, but Octane Twisted [Jewel Case With Slipcase] is the first CD of theirs that I haven't bought on release since their early Delirium days. After The Incident, I consider Wilson has really gone off the boil as PT albums have been gettin progressively weaker. Just my opinion of course, and I expect I will eventually get it!

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 18:26:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jan 2013 18:26:32 GMT
S.R.J says:
In the past I always bought new Floyd albums, stopped at The Wall. Always bought any Jayhawks albums , then they released this rubbish- " Mockingbird Time ", so they are now off the list. At present there are only a few bands whose output I would purchase without question- Lau( suprise suprise!), Sixteen Horsepower who morphed into Wovenhand, and anything by SonVolt/Gob Iron- both of whom (amongst others) have Jay Farrar stamped all over 'em.
S.R.J

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 18:40:31 GMT
Rossco says:
For me its Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Neil Young, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, John Frusciante, Cat Power and Mastodon.
Always buy these guys stuff, no matter what it is, it goes on pre-order as soon as I see an announcement!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 18:52:15 GMT
Brass Neck says:
Agreed about Jayhawks - I tooled all the way from Grimsby to my mates at Peterborough and then onward to London to see them live having enthused massively about how great it was going to be with Mark Olson back in the fold ...... pshah!

I'd still buy anything involving Gary Louris though, great songwriter and guitarist. Neil Young is a near-certainty but it's still a roller-coaster but always an interesting ride.

JJ Grey who I only heard of a year or so ago is a guaranteed purchase for me, I've picked up all his albums and they're utterly consistently brilliant swamp-rock/soul/blues. Live, he's the dog's danglers.

Keep ordering new Eels releases but they never end up on heavy rotation.

Israel Nash Gripka - only 3 albums in but they're all corkers.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 18:56:24 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I don't think Octane is one their best CD however it's still a mighty fine album imo

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 19:03:41 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I'm also a Floyd fan SRJ but I do think they've made more mediocre albums than brilliant ones. I think I can understand why you stopped at The Wall. Tedious, is a word I use to describe it. Have you tried The Division Bell? An excellent album imo

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 19:10:54 GMT
Spacepig says:
For me its:

Colour Haze
Anekdoten (if only they would get around to releasing another)
Acid Mothers Temple (really difficult as they release about 300 a year)
Hawkwind (despite what Gordon says, I still keep on buying and enjoying them. But you do have to be careful of dodgy re-releases)
Porcupine Tree (although I only bought the last one after extensive bullying from junior)
Jethro Tull
Novembers Doom
Faust
Guru Guru
Gong

And probably some more that I can't think of offhand.

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 22:24:14 GMT
Wharf Rat says:
Since my retirement The Grateful Dead are ringfenced other bands/artist
probable.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 22:27:07 GMT
Brass Neck says:
If you've ring-fenced the Dead, am I safe from ever having to hear them again? ;¬)

Posted on 26 Jan 2013 01:24:07 GMT
Agree with Gordon re: Hawkwind - as soon as recordings were available on Flicknife it all got a bit messy, especially as some of the archive material was abysmal in sound quality and really only for the serious die-hards. I had all the albums up until Chronicle of the Black Sword, even buying the Roadhawks compilation specifically for the live (and presumably abridged) version of You Shouldn't Do That and the banned single Urban Guerilla. I have to say that Levitation was the last album I really enjoyed, but the three subsequent RCA albums did have their moments.

These days? Mazzy Star, but that's not difficult seeing they've eked out just the three albums since 1990. A new one was allegedly scheduled for release late last year but - surprise surprise - it has not yet appeared.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2013 08:44:25 GMT
it's indeed considerably abridged, s.c.h., compared to "in search of space" version, but excellent nevertheless, especially the way it segues effortlessly into "silver machine". agree 100% tho' that "levitation" was their last decent album.

only artists i'd automatically buy these days are tosca, lemon jelly (been a while since their last & only 3rd one) & massive attack, whose last 2 i still enjoy, even tho' they weren't critically acclaimed.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2013 09:14:28 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
same here GAID, + Underworld, Transglobal Underground, London Elektricity, Chem Bros and Thievery Corporation as well those i mentioned earlier. Fila Brazillia woulda been another if they were still around. viz MA i dont like Heligoland but i'd still buy the next one automatically.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  25 Jan 2013
Latest post:  29 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions