Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Electronic Soundscapes, Digital Beats and Anything & Everything That Grooves and Moves Your Mind, Body & Soul.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jun 2013 13:44:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2013 00:17:08 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Ok, as you know i love electronic music and a fair few of you do on this forum in varying degrees. I'm currently in the mood for listening to some new stuff and would like to hear some recommendations from you good people.

Digital Boy, 2BadMice and the Prodigy's 'Experience' album (which got cranked up in my Ford Capri quite alot) i would say hooked me onto the genre after spending a few years beforehand listening to rock and metal in the late 80's and early 90's. Of course i liked Beverly Hills Cop's Axel F, Miami Vice, Knight Rider and Airwolf theme tunes before i even knew an electronic genre existed. Tangerine Dream's Street Hawk theme tune also notable, although it doesn't seem to have aged as well as the Knight Rider theme tune, which has been sampled by many artists inc Busta Rhymes in recent years. But then most people i believe liked those theme tunes in a general sense anyway.

Most genres of electronica i have delved into in varying degrees. If it sounds good to myself then i delve deeper.

LTJ Bukem's Logical Progression on Good Looking records then had me mesmorised by the cool, ambient, deep jazz vibes and paved the way for a long journey of electronic music that i have listened to, to this day. Albeit i've gone through many electronic genres and sub-genres and found some amazing, quality productions in Breakbeat, Detroit Techno, Oldskool rave, Drum n' Bass, Downtempo Lounge, Funk, Nu-Jazz, Neo Soul, Tech Step, Deep & Soulful House to name a few.

Wax Doctor, Photek, Orbital, Omni Trio, Deep Blue have also gained my attention through the 90's. Nookie's Phusion label has showcased music on a par with Bukem's Good Looking and Fabio's Creative Source label given us the best in liquid funk drum n' bass. Aural Imbalance has pushed the ambient dnb and deep house vibes and is a rather unknown or less recognised producer in the field of electronica in general unfortunately.

These days I tend to edge towards the more colourful, deep and soul based sounds of house, neo soul, funk and deep dnb when the mood is right. I often return to oldskool flavours when nostalgia strikes.

Thanks to Paul (Hillsman) for the youtube playlist below of my favourites recently..

Solar

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaoZn9VbrUJByGnmgBtNcdLCvG5-bFsR

Not forgetting Blastro's (Dj Hobnoxious) tidy house mixes of varying sub-genres. Always a good listen, and he adds a new mix on mix cloud every so often so worth checking now and again for his recent mixes.

http://www.mixcloud.com/roberthobson376

Extended playlist by Hillsman. 43 tracks of various electronica/dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmdBuZHHDI&list=PLUaoZn9VbrUJByGnmgBtNcdLCvG5-bFsR

Posted on 30 Jun 2013 18:08:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jun 2013 18:11:50 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Cluster, Harmonia and Tangerine Dream (pre 1978) nurtured my initial interest in electronic music. I'm currently enjoying this From The Bogs Of Aughiska an album that reminds me of the early TD albums. I'm a recent convert to Autechre and now have quite a few of their albums. Their latest Exai is a gem. I also like Lorn Ask The Dust. If my eCollection only consisted of all the pre 78 TD albums, all Autechre's albums and a couple of Lorn albums I'd be quite satisfied. I'm almost there, just 4 Autechre short but I might also invest in this Roots Of This Earth Within My Blood

Posted on 30 Jun 2013 19:06:16 BDT
TheFoe says:
Hi Grayfox, my first introduction to electronica was when my older brother suggested I listen to Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn' on headphones. It wasn't until about 1984 when I heard Art Of Noise's 'Close To The Edit' before I was properly hooked. Their album 'In Visible Silence' got played to death, especially last thing at night with headphones. Then in the same year they split up, 1990, 808 State charted with Pacific State and BOOM electronica really took off. At the time it seemed just as you were getting the hang of all the sub genres; rave, house, drum 'n' bass, jungle etc, something else came along and threw a spanner in the works.

Not really knowledgeable about recent electronica, I'm having too much fun discovering rave tunes on youtube that I've not heard before. I'll leave you with a track that's new to me but probably old as the hills, bit on the darkside but I like it!

Alpha X - 'Oriental Dream' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7q55cNPfg

Posted on 30 Jun 2013 20:48:26 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Autechre's an obscure one for me Red. I listen to the samples and can't decide if i'd like it or not, but seeing as you rate Exai as a gem I think i'll download the album onto cdr and give it some time in the week. Going by first impressions on the sound of Autechre, you may like Photek's 'Modus Aperandi' album and some of Aphex Twin's work if you haven't already listened to them.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jun 2013 22:04:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2013 08:33:00 BDT
Solar Fox says:
That Alpha X tracks abit trippy TheFoe. Sounds like a grower though.

Yeah, great music from Kraftwerk and 808 State back in the day. I liked Kraftwerk's Tour De France to this day. 808 State's Pacific State is iconic stuff. I liked Shades Of Rhythm too which shared similarities in style when SoR weren't using vocals.

Posted on 30 Jun 2013 23:59:35 BDT
i took a notion for electronic music with the first onset of post-punk - like the human league - up to but not including 'dare', suicide - a bit of an epiphany seen live, and the first 2 albums, throbbing gristle - a challenge like the proverbial pickaxe thru' the forehead - avant garde industrial, experimentalists thomas leer and robert rental, the residents, yello, the normal, cabaret voltaire, einsturzende neubaten etc. i bought a lot of this and related material within a 3-4 year period, but i find not so much since, although i still hold these records in great esteem (and value - have you seen the crazy amounts commanded by tg material from this time (don't tell mrs cw)
and always the mighty kraftwerk - hooked since buying 7" of 'the robots' - magnificent and timeless (except for 'techno pop', which is great, but the only one of their albums you could pin a date to) - a real privelege to see them live at glasgow academy (2004)

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 07:15:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2013 13:49:50 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
Venetian Snares - Rossz csillag alatt született
Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough
Shed - Shedding the Past
Tim Hecker - Harmony In Ultraviolet
The Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day
Kattoo - Megrim
Solar Fields - Movements
The Black Dog - Silenced
Pan Sonic - Aaltopiiri
Autechre - Draft 7.30
Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
Villalobos - Alcachofa
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
Bonobo - Dial 'M' for Monkey
Dryft - Cell
Aril Brikha - Deeparture In Time
Squarepusher - Ultravisitor
imminent - cask strength
The Timewriter - Diary Of A Lonely Sailor
Plaid - Double Figure
Clark - Body Riddle
Deepchord Presents Echospace - The Coldest Season
Joris Voorn - Future History
Beefcake - Drei
Yagya - Rhythm of Snow
Jan Jelinek - Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records
Stendeck - Sonnambula
The Detroit Escalator Co. - Black Buildings
edIT - Crying Over Pros for No Reason
Secede - Tryshasla
Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid
Alva Noto - Unitxt
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Kangding Ray - Automne Fold
Gas - Pop
Autechre - Untilted
Vladislav Delay - Anima
Monolake - Cinemascope
St Germain - Tourist
Squarepusher - Hello Everything
Burial - Untrue
Gridlock - Formless
Fennesz - Venice
Amon Tobin - Out From Out Where
Aglaia - Three Organic Experiences
The Flashbulb - Kirlian Selections
Jazzanova - In Between
Richard Devine - Asect:Dsect
Autechre - Confield

This nice little list (found on the web) should keep us busy for a while! ;0)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 07:21:13 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks for the 'Modus Aperandi' rec Grayfox, a new one to me. I like it a lot so it's now on the list. I've tried a lot of AT but nothing that really floats my boat as yet.

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 09:13:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2013 09:52:39 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Wow, there's a few in that list Elastic Rock. :) Venetian Snares i've listened to before and I didn't get it. It used drum n' bass samples but was all over the place and very random. Having listened to dnb with steady rhythms and catchy and steady beat patterns, I may have dismissed it too soon perhaps. St Germain and Jazzanova I like and some of Aphex Twin's work, usually his sci-fi ambient stuff. I'll have a look at the others tonight, they'll keep me busy for 5mins.

No worries Red. Photek's Form & Function album maybe to your liking too, although 'Modus' is a better album to start with I think. Both albums have a dark edge with sci-fi undertones with outstanding drum pattern development.

Photek's 'Ni Ten Itchi Ryu' demonstrates his ear for percussive beat patterns. You can hear that track on the end credits to the film 'Blade' too.

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 10:28:26 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
Gray. re - Venetian Snares - Rossz csillag alatt született. Just have a listen to the first 5mins of this album - blew me away the first time I heard it. Still my fave VS album.

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 11:12:30 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Fine list there Elastic and a few names I'm not familiar with like Kattoo, Stendeck and Yagya. Will have to check em out
Craig W - I got into electronica stuff the same way with those bands adding Test Department and alt-funk / electronic acts like 23 Skidoo, Shriekback, Chakk, A Certain Ratio etc. I'm a massive Yello fan and have everything they've done. Also the other big Swiss electronic rock band The Young Gods. Both are pretty much unique.
Grayfox - how are you about Warp, Ninja Tune. Mo Wax and Pork sounds? The first two are still going strong but the others two are sadly defunct.
Warp - re Al's already bigged up Autechre which I wholly agree with. Then there are the other greats off that label like Boards of Canada, Black Dog, Plaid, Squarepusher, B12
Ninja Tune - too many fine acts here but Amon Tobin, Herbaliser, Funki Porcini and Wagon Christ stand out.
Pork - ex home of the mighty Fila Brazillia but also to great little combos like Baby Mammoth, Bullitnuts and Leggo Beast
Mo Wax -pioneering trip hop mercahnts with DJ Shadow the star but don't forget the very fine Palm Skin Productions.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 12:29:33 BDT
Lez Lee says:
Wow, ER!
Just had a listen to some of that VS - Rossz....
Just brilliant. I might regret reading this thread ;-(

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 12:57:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2013 12:58:41 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Well, after 2 more recommendations for VS's Rossz.. I think i'm going to have to ER. I'll have a good listen tonight.

Nuge, my mate is heavily into Ninja Tune, Mo Wax etc. He loves his Hip Hop, (Big Daddy Kane, Grandmaster Flash, James Brown) funk and downtempo stuff. What would be a good starter for Ninja Tune and Mo Wax? I've heard DJ Shadow mixing film scores on Giles Peterson's R1 show. I was rather impressed with his selections in that mix.

Is there a good cd or download showing off Shadow's talent that you know of?

Posted on 1 Jul 2013 13:47:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2013 13:48:14 BDT
Hillsman says:
I guessed correctly that this was a Grayfox thread! I was like himself in that I was drawn to instrumental music, TV theme tunes and even video game music. Many an 8-bit soundtrack was better than what the charts had to offer, though I also liked the few house/electronic tracks that made the chart back then (MARRS, Yazz, Jack Your Body etc).

Ironically, I discovered underground house & techno (rave if you like) just as acts like Snap, Technotronic, The KLF and The Shamen started to bring dance music to the mainstream. I guess I started with Technotronic, Adamski, Enigma, The Orb & Orbital before delving into GTO, LFO, Joey Beltram, Sven Vath, Speedy J, Colin Dale, Colin Favor etc

These days, it is a totally mixed bag - tend to lean more towards ambient, downtempo and drum'n'bass, though I am very keen on progressive house & trance.

Elastic has put together quite a list - I don't profess to know them all. And I am afraid to go looking given the amount of recently-discovered albums that warrant more attention!

Nugent_Dirt has also pointed me in the direction of many excellent releases on Pork, Warp, Upstairs Recordings, Kompakt, EM:t & Ninja via the "MFers Electronicorner" thread.

I actually feel as if 90% of the electronic music industry passed me by as I was so heavily into the underground scene - pirate radio, mix tapes, that sort of thing! These threads highlight what I missed, which does include common starting points like Yello, Boards of Canada and Kraftwork. Its too late in the day to be travelling that far back - I at least have a bit of Tangerine Dream, 808 State, Art of Noise and Mike Oldfield in the collection!!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2013 14:42:33 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
GF
I'll link you to some of my faves.
Viz DJ Shadow there's the seminal Endtroducing..... though The Private Press andThe Less You Know, The Better are as good IMO.
As i have some 70 Ninja Tune albums the best places to start are some of the comps esp
Zen CD: A Ninja Tune Retrospective , 'ninja Cuts:Flexistentialism': The Joy Of Dex;24 Uncompromising Positions To Improve Your S and Ninja Cuts Funkungfusion.
Ditto for Mo' Wax with Headz Vol.1, Mo-Wax: Some Scientific.., and Headz II.

Posted on 2 Jul 2013 00:57:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jul 2013 01:52:57 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"Great stuff Many an 8-bit soundtrack was better than what the charts had to offer, though I also liked the few house/electronic tracks that made the chart back then (MARRS, Yazz, Jack Your Body etc)."

Yeah Hills, there was some great video game music back in the 8bit days. I used to love this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEEO3Ua0Od8

Great stuff Nuge. Some good soul-funk tracks i've listened to on samples. I think DJ food was the one that did the movie soundtrack mix on G.Peterson's radio show now. I may have got my djs mixed up (pardon the pun). A few of your selections are cd based that are a bit pricey, but i'm going to have a good search to see if i can get a listen of the individual tracks.

I'm still struggling with the Venetian Snares stuff. The 'Rossz csillag alatt született' album seems to be a combination of classical music and crazy jungle beats. It has great impact with the contrasting themes but i'll get a few tracks on cd and give them a few more playthroughs.

Autechre's Exai album sounds very interesting and i like it's arrangements in a bizarre way. I'm going to download the album and give that some serious play during the week and see how it turns out. The music that's recommended is much appreciated and i'm working through the lists. Nice to listen to something different to the genres i usually listen to.

Mind Test (Original Mix)

Conversant Dilemma

Truth Or Happiness (Original Mix)

Stay With Me (Original Mix)

So yeah, been listening to these tracks of late. Not sure if they float anybody's boat, maybe an acquired taste. But i've listened to these repeatedly and i think they're good growers with repeated play.

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 12:15:20 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Well, i've been listening to Autectre today quite abit and can't decide if it's a wind up from you guys.

Is it hidden genius or random madness? I still can't decide.

I remember hearing stuff like this on the late, great John Peel Radio 1 show. But even then it never made me reach for the record button on my tape deck. It's weird, but when i'm driving about with it in the background it can sound theraputic in an odd way. Still not getting it but i'll persevere.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 14:21:50 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Errm. I think you'd be best off starting with their first two, most accessible albums - Amber and Incunabula before moving to their most acclaimed Tri Repetae. Seems you might've jumped into the deep end with anything else.
Maybe a bit of The Black Dog might be easier to digest, one of my favouritist pure electronica combos.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 14:36:35 BDT
Solar Fox says:
I'm on 'Exai' Nuge.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 16:06:07 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
If Exai's too much for you GF then definitely don't try Confield, Untilted or Chiastic Slide. They're XXX strength. Amber's very easy and atmospheric

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 16:15:22 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Ok i'll try Amber, thanks Nuge. There's a few tracks on Exai that aren't too bad that have quite a musical vibe to them, but most tracks are confusing and rather harsh to the ears. I keep saying to myself 'those guys on the music forum like this!?' lol

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 16:24:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2013 16:25:19 BDT
Hillsman says:
I know what you're saying Gray. Tri Repetae is a landmark album for them that also marks a change of direction into less conventional, more machine-like territory. I think I got as far as Confield before deciding I'd had enough of clangs and wind noises.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 17:24:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2013 17:28:12 BDT
Solar Fox says:
I was wondering what your opinion was of Autectre Hills, seeing as you come from being an avid listener of Good Looking Records and it's history of drum n' bass. Autectre seems a bizarr side step of GLR in terms of breakbeat convention and tone. I agree, there is an awful amount of random clangs.

I'll see what Amber is like, download tonite and burn to cd for the travel journey tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2013 18:02:40 BDT
Hillsman says:
As much as I like DnB and Progressive, there is probably more ambient music in my collection than anything else Gray. The first 2 Autechre albums are fairly chilled and accessible - Tri Repetae is more about beats, metallic sounds and percussion patterns. It needs a few listens, but it grows - I quite liked everything up to, but not including, Confield and I stopped there!

As much as I liked those earlier albums, I don't find myself going back to them very often. While I DO return to the the likes of Gel-Sol, Biosphere, Bola and Kettel frequently. Perhaps that means I prefer conventional stuff and scratch my head over people loving the likes Plaid, Squarepusher and some Aphex Twin.

Then again, some of the dark industrial / acid techno I used to listen to (and still do from time to time) would melt anyone's head!!

Posted on 3 Jul 2013 22:02:09 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
A nice little Ambient list to peruse.....

1.Brian Eno: Music For Airports (1979)
2.Steve Roach: Dreamtime Return (Fortuna, 1988)
3.Jon Hassell: Dream Theory In Malaya (EG, 1981)
4.Autechre: Tri Repetae (TVT, 1996)
5.Robert Rich: Somnium (2001)
6.Harold Budd: Pavilion Of Dreams (Obscure, 1978)
7.Cluster: Cluster II (Brain, 1972)
8.Orb: U.F.Orb (1992)
9.Raphael: Angels Of The Deep (Hearts Of Space, 1995)
10.Alio Die: Password for Entheogenic Experience (1997)
11.Vidna Obmana: Spiritual Bonding (Extreme, 1994)
12.Loop Guru: Duniya (Nation, 1994)
13.Solar Quest: Orgship (Crammed, 1994)
14.Orbital: II (Ffrr, 1993)
15.Liquid Mind: Ambience Minimus (Chuck Wild, 1994)
16.Kiln: Holo (Roomtone, 1998)
17.Doldrums: Acupuncture (Kranky, 1997)
18.Global Communication: 76:14 (Dedicated, 1994)
19.Future Sound Of London: Lifeforms (Astralwerks, 1994)
20.Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Volume II (R&S, 1994)
21.DJ Spooky: Riddim Warfare (Outpost, 1998)
22.Asmus Tietchens: Nachtstucke (1980)
23.Mu-ziq: In Pine Effect (Virgin, 1995)
24.Wagon Christ: Throbbing Pouch (Rising High, 1995)
25.Michael Brook: Hybrid (Editions EG, 1985)
26.Jeff Greinke: Cities In Fog (Intrepid, 1985)
27.Transglobal Underground: Dream Of 100 Nations (Nation, 1993)
28.Susumu Yokota: Sakura (Skintone, 2000)
29.O.Rang: Fields And Waves (Echo, 1997)
30.Natacha Atlas: Gedida (Beggars Banquet, 1999)
31.Amp: Sirenes (Petrol, 1996)
32.Rapoon: Dream Circle (DOVEntertainment, 1992)
33.Spacetime Continuum: Sea Biscuit (Astralwerks, 1994)
34.Delerium: Spiritual Archives (Dossier, 1991)
35.Biosphere: Substrata (All Saints, 1997)
36.William Orbit: Strange Cargo (IRS, 1988)
37.Jonathan Coleclough: Cake (Siren, 1998)
38.Labradford: Prazision (Kranky, 1993)
39.Bowery Electric: Beat (Kranky, 1996)
40.Enigma: The Cross Of Changes (Charisma, 1994)
41.Deca: Simbionte (2002)
42.Psychic Warriors Ov Gaia: Ov Biospheres And Sacred Grooves (Kk, 1992)
43.Starfish Pool: Rituals For The Dying (U-Cover, 1999)
44.System 7 (Ten Dix, 1991)
45.E.A.R: Mesmerized (Sympathy, 1994)
46.Arovane: Tides (City Centre Offices, 2000)
47.KLF: Chill Out (Wax Trax, 1990)
48.Terre Thaemlitz: Soil (Instinct, 1995)
49.Main: Motion Pool (Beggars Banquet, 1994)
50.O Yuki Conjugate: Peyote (Staalplaat, 1991)
51.Thomas Koner: Permafrost (Barooni, 1993)
52.Seefeel: Quique (Too Pure, 1993)
53.Tomorrowland: Stereoscopic Soundwaves (Darla, 1997)
54.Woob: 1194 (Instinct, 1995)
55.RhBand: Third Order Parasitism (Drunken Fish, 1997)
56.Philosopher's Stone: Preparation (Kranky, 1997)
57.Deep FOrest (Celine, 1992)
58.Voice Of Eye: Vespers (Cyclotron, 1994)
59.Moby: Ambient (Instinct, 1993)
60.Kurt Ralske: Amor 0+01 (SubRosa, 2001)

Chill.... ;0)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 106 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Fave Artists Thread Problem (not troll-related) 6 3 minutes ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - Track 97 Nominations - Makes & models of cars - any song with the name of a car manufacturer or one of their models (even if the song isn't about a car e.g. Wild Rover 82 6 minutes ago
Deadheads Utd 8127 19 minutes ago
Follow the Lyric Game 8229 1 hour ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 8739 1 hour ago
i read a book once. green it was 1011 1 hour ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6132 1 hour ago
OT: Amazon Have Updated The Profile Pages Again! 123 3 hours ago
Reggae/Dub Forum Road Show 2028 5 hours ago
Who is your fave artist for the virtual music game? List of those nominated! 180 6 hours ago
Who is your fave artist that you think win a track for the virtual music game? 1880 6 hours ago
Music Forum Artist(s) - Track 278 - The Chemical Brothers nominated by Philip Burrell -VOTES!!! 46 14 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  2643
Initial post:  30 Jun 2013
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions