Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

The grate-est...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Dec 2013 10:50:18 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Just thought I'd bring in some near Yuletide gratuitous negativity to the proceedings ;0). For all of of us I guess there are certain bands and performers that push all the wrong buttons and however much they vary their output they will always get your goat. So who are the grate-est for you. To kick things off

Whitesnake - almost entirely down to David Coverdale's vocals and terrible mix of puerile, sexist and cliched lyrics. Utterly painful to behold
Red Hot Chili Peppers - weak vocals and scrtachy guitar playing give a thin and weedy sound which no amount of Flea's slap n pop can save. Who are these people who rate John Frusciante FFS?
Asia - again thin vocals, cheesy 80s keyboards and a dollop of naff 6th form poetry lyrics trying to be meaningful
Black Country Communion - one music cliche after another including Joe Bonamassa's overrated and derivative guitar work and Glen Hughes's OTT histrionic warblings
Journey - a noxious concoction of blackboard scratching vocals, gushing sentiment that only US AOR bands can deliver and endless music cliches.
Boston - is the music of Boston the most over-produced and soulless sound in music history?

I await all the no button pushing with glee.

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 15:42:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2013 16:04:45 GMT
Well, of course there is lots of stuff that I don't like and then more stuff that I positively hate, but these ones actually make my ears cringe, shrivel up & want to die no matter what they do:
Simply Red
UB40
Bjork

Edit: and Jamiroquai (aaargh), can't believe I forgot about them.

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 15:54:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2013 15:55:53 GMT
T. Franklin says:
Pretty much anybody who can be summed up as "music for pretentious middle class dinner parties, hosted by people who like to think they're down with the kids, maaan!" - think Keane, Coldplay, Sade, Adele, Simply Red, UB40, etc. This rule applies regardless of whether the artiste has any talent or not.

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 16:00:48 GMT
Coldplay - Mippy bippy, mamby pamby dirge...I would gladly " Fix Them" with something nuclear....
Katy Perry - Everything i despise about modern woman...Build a bridge and get over yourself Love...
Jay Z/Beyonce - The second they joined the U2 clique, my dislike turned into total contempt. She is the worst Tina Turner tribute act on earth.....
The Enid - The antithesis of everything Rock....Their fans resemble something from middle Hertfordshire and should be gassed to a man.............

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 16:08:01 GMT
T. Franklin says:
Hey! I'm from Hertfordshire, LOL

Robert John Godfrey's noodlings are most definitely an acquired taste (I've listened to the Enid many years back), but to be fair I don't think he'd describe his work as the future of rock 'n' roll anyways

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 16:42:53 GMT
that's an unfair question, nuge, as you know i hate everything. :) i'll stick to those i detest within my spheres of interest -

ub40 - reggae 'lite' (also rhyming slang)
stiff little fingers - 36 year career out of 1 decent album
aswad - just about everything post 'new chapter of dub'
damned - failure to pack it in after 'music for pleasure'
uk subs - just never liked them
999, the lurkers, sham 69, - killer singles, mince albums
gen x - poor attitude, poor songs
sex pistols - fairly decent pub rock
the jam - never appealed
och, and a million others.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2013 17:20:12 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
sad to say Nuge - i can take exception with none of your comments

what grates with me is the modern way of "emoting" a song in a rather meandering and tuneless way instead of just singing the bluddie tune

i'll get me goat

Posted on 4 Dec 2013 18:03:09 GMT
Sparky says:
If you think I'm gonna hit 'no' now you got another think coming mate!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 19:28:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2013 23:20:12 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
N_D your entire list is also not to my taste but I'm one of those people who rate JF FFS. A great song writer and guitarist imo and the only reason why I like some of the RHCP stuff. His solo albums are, in the main, brilliant.
I've pushed the yes button BTW

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 06:19:07 GMT
Tikka says:
Any rap with the silent 'c'

Posted on 6 Dec 2013 14:44:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2013 14:47:03 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
I also pretty much agree with the other noms here to a level of 99% but for me even usually unfave acts like Simply Red, Jam, Bjork, Coldplay and Beyoncé have made one or two tunes I quite like. Ditto many prog acts I generally detest but most have come up with one or two saving graces even Genesis, Yes, Tull, ELP and Rush. I found it quite hard to come up with noms who can do NO right for me. I so wanted to put in U2 but they've made 4 or 5 tunes I quite like, or rather which have lent themselves well to dance mixes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  4 Dec 2013
Latest post:  6 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions