Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Which Box Sets , Reissues and Remasters would you like to see released?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 161 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 17:03:55 BDT
Silk Torpedo

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 17:48:56 BDT
I think you've stumbled (or splashed) upon the need for a really decent Pretty Things box set, Smitty.

There are so many compilations and reissues on a score of PT CDs nowadays, from their Bo Diddley & Jimmy Reed roots through their 60s psychedelia, 70s Swansong stuff to the recent remakes, reissues and rediscovered stuff.

Few bands have such a long and varied back catalogue to plunder for a blockbusting box-set - still fantastic live if they're gigging anywhere near you, too!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 19:55:02 BDT
I have never knowingly heard them Soundsearcher! It was merely a sly reply to BOF.....but there you go. Synchronicity!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 19:56:11 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Is there a good Pretty Things compilation Soundsearcher?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 20:22:00 BDT
They started off as a raw R&B band with such a great sound, then morphed into almost a psychedelic band. S.F. Sorrow is a classic 60s UK concept album worth checking out.

Psychedelic Years, 1966-1970 offers a fair selection.Singles As & Bs & The Rhythm & Blues Years also offer a good selection.

From what I have read in the past, contractual/licensing problems have prevented a complete career overview in the past. As this was eventually overcome with the Duane Allman set, perhaps we will have a proper box of the Pretty Things with outtakes etc one day as they are a band that deserve it.

As a footnote I was lucky enough to me them in Abbey Road Studios many many years ago : )

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 20:29:10 BDT
Brass Neck says:
How does this new comp look?

Introducing Pretty Things

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 21:08:00 BDT
Must say it looks pretty damn good - how come I missed it !!

Their early stuff gave the Stones a run for their money for a while, infact everyone that I knew back then either liked both bands or neither.

Give a whirl and see what you think or check them out on Spotify or something similar first.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 21:10:36 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Because it's only been out a month. Is it chronological (crucial IMHO where a band has been through various disparate phases)?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2013 21:54:26 BDT
Looks like it is to me and it certainly starts at the beginning with Rosalyn.

Posted on 18 May 2013 09:37:24 BDT
Thanks Brass & Cornish for taking up the Pretty Things theme.

Cornish offered three very good collections - The Best of...Latest Writs is a good example of a label (Snapper) attempting a one-disc collection of a band with an extensive catalogue.

It has some great early singles, the psychedelic classics Defecting Grey & Talkin' About The Good Timesd a snatch of 70s stuff, but the new "Introducing" 2-CD set looks a rather excellent overview, well worth a fiver or so.

Original member and still the lead guitarist Dick Taylor was an original member of the Stones, as most bods on here will know, with classic LP SF Sorrow recorded at Abbey Road during the heady psychedelic maelstrom of '67/'68 that also produced Pink Floyd & Beatles classics - essential, Brass!

Posted on 19 May 2013 09:13:16 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
A SAVOY BROWN box set. Must be plenty of stuff in those vaults. Looking In is still one of my favourite albums of that period.

Posted on 21 May 2013 08:29:46 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
Remastered Jackson Browne albums or a box set would be nice. The Pretender & Late For The Sky could do with the deluxe treatment IMHO.

Posted on 21 May 2013 12:14:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2013 12:23:36 BDT
Most of my chosen genre has been re-released and enhanced over the years with very good sound, bonus tracks and repackaging.....Hence i can't really moan....However...

Still two glaring omissions imo...

Live At The N.E.C Diabolical sound quality on the original video, LP and CD. Got remastered with 2 bonus tracks and sounds a lot better, but still a big part of the gig missing. 2 Discs, more pics and memrobilia please.

FROM THE MAKERS OF.. (Numbered, Ltd. Ed. Metal Box Set) [VINYL] Widely regarded to be by far the best of the countless, pointless compilations. Superb packaging, inserts and compiled with the fans in mind ( remember that?) A real best of before the hardcore Jive Bunny/ TOTP garbage set in. Never seen the light of day on CD.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 17:40:08 BDT
sorry, tommo, but would be interested to know who you're talking about - cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 17:45:39 BDT
If you click on the links you will be whisked straight into Status Quo territory, Craig.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 17:58:48 BDT
thankyou, thought it might have been - don't know if i should go there, tho'- i attended a show of theirs, once, and genuinely felt threatened by the moshpitting grandmothers.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 18:09:15 BDT
I don't think that Francis Rossi would like to read you referring to him in that way, Craig (true though it might be) ;-0

Posted on 21 May 2013 19:45:59 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
LTJ Bukem/PHOTEK Box Sets might be a good idea. The original D&B artists are now old enough for box sets!!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 20:29:37 BDT
From out of totally nowhere you come and mark me out???

Yeah right.....Craig White???

Posted on 21 May 2013 21:23:02 BDT
Elastic Rock says:
Dubnobasswithmyheadman. Would love to see a remastered expanded version of this :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 21:23:34 BDT
no, no, iv'e been here all the time - just huvny been doing this - please pardon my quognorance. cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 21:24:57 BDT
LOL says the ex chairman of the Gers........

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 21:36:29 BDT
yeh yeh, it's a cross i have to bear - at first a figure of fun for those who don't support rangers - now, everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 22:37:10 BDT
LOL i was at Ibrox a fortnight ago for the final game/ trophy celebrations..

Pleased to meet you Craig.

Posted on 22 May 2013 08:22:12 BDT
likewise - tho am lapsed supporter of the mighty kfc
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  161
Initial post:  10 May 2013
Latest post:  19 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions