Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

I know it's been done a thousand times before, but I feel the need. Best guitarist around today?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 120 posts in this discussion
Posted on 4 May 2013 19:09:56 BDT
Leftin says:
Carlos Santana seems to get better with age, and he was always brilliant. The last, mostly-instrumental album (Shapeshifter), does him credit.

Posted on 4 May 2013 15:37:05 BDT
Don Juandre says:
I have to concur... My brain tells me Richard Thompson is an incredible guitarist/songwriter, etc... and he certainly is... but my heart just don't get it!

Guitar - wise... From the aspect of Acoustic Guitar Technique, it's been said before, but imo,
Friday Night In San fancisco has yet to be beaten...
Remember, I'm ONLY talking technique!...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2013 00:43:53 BDT
Richard Thompson is indeed a stunning and incredibly talented guitar player. Its his singing voice........better than the Grateful Dead singers, but still something about it just niggles.... 1000 Years Of Popular Music is an absolute stunner, which I love and wholeheartedly recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2013 00:41:07 BDT
Not at all! You will have to try harder if you want to offend me ;-)

Posted on 3 May 2013 23:05:58 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Seasick Steve and his diddley-bow

Posted on 3 May 2013 22:37:24 BDT
Henry Grimes says:
Richard Thompson

It's obvious really, (words spoken by Clive Gregson) and his verdict was spot on!

Posted on 3 May 2013 22:15:18 BDT
Warren Haynes is the best in the rock/blues field IMO. His work with Gov Mule, Allmans, The Dead ( not GD), Phil Leah & Friends and latterly Further make him hardworking as well!

Posted on 3 May 2013 22:03:59 BDT
Don Juandre says:
I hope that didn't offend you - it was meant as a compliment!
Remember the old, pre-internet days? It was possible to order lesser-known music through Record shops - but that usually involved a huge leap of faith, hoping that the reviewer. or whatever source of info you were working from, actually knew their stuff and weren't working according to some private agenda... At least once, I remember hearing something I liked on the radio, scrabbling around to find a phone no. for the radio station and ringing them to ask what it was - and being given completely wrong information, spending a relatively large amount of money ordering it, waiting impatiently for it to arrive... and the bitter disappointment when it finally made it to my turntable... You get the picture...
Which is why I love these forums, and communicating with people such as yourself, who I'd almost certainly never meet in other circumstances...
Sorry, Im rambling... I guess I'm trying to say that through the recommendations of people such as yourself and the others on this thread, my music collection has grown exponentially - and I'm a happier man...
So, ... Thank you... All!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 20:06:22 BDT
Perhaps there is a reason why so much of my stuff is unheard of, Don ;-)

Posted on 3 May 2013 20:03:04 BDT
I recently saw Richard Thompson on his 'Electric' tour,it was the best concert experience I've had for thirty years.His playing is exciting and tasteful,both acoustic and electric.He's also one of Britains greatest songwriters,even the songs he played that I didn't know were wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 17:33:52 BDT
Don Juandre says:
Huck - Btw, have you checked out Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan? Both dead, unfortunately, but left some pretty good stuff behind, which should float your boat, if you like Albert & Warren. Or am I preaching to the converted?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 17:28:24 BDT
Don Juandre says:
Ok, thanks Smitty... I think I'll try the 'Ballads' and see how it goes... I'll let you know...
Huck F. - I love Albert Lee's playing, and Warren's, but I sometimes feel the need for something a bit different to the '4/4 beat, snare on 2 and 4' rock thing. That's where Smitty's seemingly inexhaustible fund of seldom heard of music comes in handy!
And to be fair, Derek Bailey does have quite a large fan base. I first heard of him when I started playing, and generally taking an interest (sometimes bordering on obsession) in the guitar, some 30 years ago. I had been played some Derek Bailey stuff once, and it was, as you said, pretty hard work. Hence my wondering if he had done anything a bit more accessible!
Anyway, good on you both for the advice!

Posted on 3 May 2013 16:55:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2013 16:58:49 BDT
oops, wrong thread, forget I posted.

DON'T YOU LISTEN!!!! I SAID FORGET

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:45:26 BDT
I was wonder where he, or she, had gotten to.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:44:33 BDT
Warren is superb.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:44:04 BDT
Ha ha ha!! LOL

Thanks, Huck, best laugh of the day.

Imagine Derek Bailey playing with Govt Mule........ring an ambulance.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:41:46 BDT
Err, nope, Mirakle is a fairly steep introduction to his work. I first heard Derek on Guitars on Mars and found it relatively easy going, although I doubt if much of Dereks output would ever be described as easy going by most folk. Ballads is an unusual outing for Derek in so far as it is all done on an acoustic guitar. Again, most folk I imagine, would find it vexing in the sense that he starts of each tune with a melody and then takes a sharp left to head out into the unknown, occasionally dropping a hint of a melody to keep folk informed as to which tune he is "covering", before lurching into dimensions hitherto unexplored.

If you approach Derek Baileys work with any expectation of a melody, standard rhythm, standard chord progression, or other usual musical clues/signposts, then you will be deeply disturbed. If however, you approach it with no expectations at all, are willing to allow the sounds to build up a vibe, or mood(generally an intensely bad one if you are Mrs Werben and are listening to it) then it will be a refreshing change from anything you have previously heard. Some folks reckon that this free jazz is taking the p, but it is definitely not, there is a lot of skill in avoiding habitual repetitive standard form playing, believe it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:41:26 BDT
Now recording again as Ima Ree Turner

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:28:15 BDT
Gaunt O'Morrow was his sidekick on that gig as far I remember.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:27:24 BDT
Duhh, of course!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:26:48 BDT
Bob Cross says:
I still admit to being a Satriani fan - going to see him on his latest tour. Then again, I managed to see a "double header" with Satch and Paul Gilbert - very good indeed.

Back to the topic though - I don't think that you CAN elect one "best". After all whose to say that Carlos Santana is less accomplished than Yngwie Malmsteen, or that John Williams is better than Angus Young? "Horses for courses" in my book. Just take pleasure that we've got so many who are at the top of their game, annoying the rest of us by making something difficult look so easy and effortless.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:26:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2013 16:27:40 BDT
Sj Brooke says:
Aaahh... BOF© I get it now :^)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:16:27 BDT
Gee thanks Nuge, just spoilt my day (mind you it's not been much of a day to start with)

Warren Haynes gets my nom. Amazing when he does himself and seemingly capable of capturing the style and tone of any guitarist you care to mention

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 15:28:55 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
don't do it DJ. i knew Smitty would nominate Bailey. He's obsessed with the guy (who can play guitar about as well as he can spell), i reckon. His therapy mustn't be working ! If there are sharks swimming in the bay why even dip your toe in the water ? Try some Albert Lee or Warren Hayes.

Posted on 3 May 2013 15:14:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2013 15:14:33 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
And Bob Brozman. See RIP thread. A genuine virtuoso on pretty much all acoustic fretted instruments across loads of genres. A bit like Ry Cooder, but for my money with a more consistently good album track record. A sad state of affairs that real talent like him dies relatively unknown while hundreds of inferior rock guitar 'gods' get all the kudos, dosh and babes. Reminds me of when Danny Gatton, the best electric guitarist I ever heard, died.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
MP3 Song Title Intercourse - The Unceasing Conversation Continues... 1981 30 minutes ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6284 49 minutes ago
Themes for Voting Threads 759 3 hours ago
All Your Music 63 3 hours ago
Follow the Lyric Game 8495 3 hours ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - Track 104 Votes - . Size matters - (big, small, long, short, fat, thin, narrow, wide. Simply any song whose title makes some reference to size) 42 3 hours ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 9144 13 hours ago
Who is your fave artist that you think win a track for the virtual music game? 1964 13 hours ago
music rules...... 5 1 day ago
What a bargain............ 3759 1 day ago
Benny Hill considered funnier than Monty Python and Hill's show had great musical numbers 592 1 day ago
Lusitania much more important than Titanic (google "Germany resumes unrestricted submarine warfare") and remember that when you hear patriotic UK or US songs 194 1 day ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  2 May 2013
Latest post:  31 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions