Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Deadheads Utd

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4251-4275 of 6930 posts in this discussion
Posted on 20 Jun 2012 19:44:58 BDT
The DPs were quite reasonable if you collected them as released which is always the best way to do I reckon, especially the early ones which has UK releases, not just imported copies.

Must say the new DaveP does look like a good one, and I for one am looking forward to it. As for BNs comments about the Dead, I have always enjoyed Jerry's singing and the band include just about every aspect of music that I enjoy. What surprises me are those folk who enjoy a wide spectrum of music yet do not like/enjoy them!!!

If it's not too late, enjoy your hol Derek.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 21:10:52 BDT
Chris Jones says:
Garcia once said of GOGD, "what's got 59 fingers and can't sing?" and he was only half joking. However, on the superb "From Anthem to Beauty" DVD David Crosby claims that the GD helped CSN achieve their sound.

Phil could never sing and in some of perverse masochism the audience would shout "We want Phil" at GD shows until their wish was granted and he'd perform Box of Rain. I wasn't one of those shouting.

Brent had a strong voice, though it didn't really do it for me - there was something about the timbre which grated on me.

However, when he was at the top of his game, Bobby had a really sweet and powerful voice - probably the most consistently good of them all.

Garcia's voice varied a lot. It was quite whiny at first, but got stronger and more mellifluous as he aged (a good example of this comes from the Brokedown Palace from this show - which is streamed):
http://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-11.sbd.miller.83196.flac16
Jer's voice started to break up in the 80s - and at times he sounded like a parody of himself. But there were also times when what he lost in range and precision was more than compensated for by the acquisition of gravitas and superb phrasing. Most notably towards the end of his life on tracks like Standing on the Moon and Stella Blue.

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 18:11:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jun 2012 18:12:22 BDT
Agree totally about Phil, and to some extent about Jerry, his lack of breath let him down (as well as his memory) towards the end, but he always managed to convey the feeling/emotion of the song. Bobby voice has never appealed to the same degree although I love some of his songs, his voice often fails to convey the melody that well at times to me.

EDIT: Love Jerry's solo/band work as well!

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 02:09:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2012 02:12:42 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
The previous night (Dave's Picks III) was a fm broadcast....but a killer second
set for the 22nd.... Ramble,Cumberland,Crypt>Drums>Other>Crypt>Deal,
Sugar,Casey>JBeGood......
No Mickey Hart as he left the band after the first ESP show at the Capitol
and Pigpen due to illness after the Gaelic a couple of months earlier (returns
for the Boston shows on the first of December 71)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 15:57:53 BDT
Adrian K says:
Wharfy, if by the previous night you mean the 21st, then songs from that night appear on disk 3 of the Dave's Pick, according to the recent announcement from Dead.net.

PHIL LESH & FRIENDS Instant Live - The North American Tour Collection (Superb set of SEVENTEEN official 2006 US limited edition 3-CD sets [51 discs in total] - 2 copies of this available on Ebay for around 258 each. Seems like a lot of dosh, but some of the individual sets are being offered on here for over 40 each. I am finding it very tempting, although I struggle to find the time to have a proper listen to all the stuff that I already have, and that includes a lot of good quality Phil and Friends that I have downloaded for free.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 10:03:54 BDT
Adrian K says:
Many thanks to Chris for the recent link to the unreleased Robert Hunter album, as it was a new site to me, and I have found much of interest on there.

The following is a link to 2 lost albums by Mickey Hart which have recently been posted on that same site:

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1133

Also on that site I found rehearsals and unreleased tracks by Dylan and the Dead. Unfortunately I was not able to download the complete sets, as some of the longer tracks which had been hosted externally were no longer available. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me where I might be able to get them.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 14:09:51 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Adrian,have those 'unreleased' Hart albums in the vaults....the version
of Fire on the Mountain is sung by Bob Hunter and a very good one
to boot (!!!!!).....well worth additions.The line up is almost the same
as the 'Dinosaurs'.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 19:53:03 BDT
Adrian K says:
Wharfy, are you sure it's Bob Hunter singing? The lineup on both versions is listed as melton, garcia, hart, freiberg, and I just assumed it must be Mickey. Whoever it is, it is more like rapping than singing, and very different from the more familiar GD version.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 00:16:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2012 00:37:49 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Adrian check out this site........

http://www3.clearlight.com/~acsa/livedate/areacode.htm

Have the Dinosaurs playing 'Fire' live at the Waldorf with Cipollina in
fine form!!!...ironically as Bob intented it to be played,and,knocks the
GD version into another dimension.....it's somewhere in the vaults and
.....I'll have to drag out Area Code 415 again and check it out!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 12:25:34 BDT
Adrian K says:
Hi Wharfy, I checked it out, and following the link for Fire On The Mountain. It says "Mickey Hart recorded a rap-type version of this in the early 1970s, and subsequently performed a similar version with Mystery Box, The Other Ones, the Rhythm Devils and other bands", so I think it is fair to say that Mickey is singing on the versions that I downloaded.
However, it also says "Hunter sang a version with the Dinosaurs in January 1984 which includes an additional opening verse - partly ad-libbed", and that must be the version you were thinking of.
Also, it's interesting to see that there were some extra lyrics that the GD didn't perform.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 14:35:12 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Hi Adrian
Managed to track down 415 in the vaults and indeed Mickey does the
rap version,also played Mystery Box and Other Ones.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 11:59:53 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Sale .... 20% reductions from Bread.net if anybody is interested... don't
all rush in!!!!

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 09:42:45 BDT
Derek W. says:
Morning all, back from my holiday to the miserable English weather. Had a grate time, some nice sunshine and returned with an assortment of CDs to listen to (didn't get to Cambridge though Wharfie). Bull Moose Music in Portsmouth, New Hampshire was where I got most of them, worth a visit if you're ever over there, and they have other shops throughout the area.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 09:44:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 09:44:24 BDT
Hi Derek, big hold up on the Dr Feelgood front, it never showed up :-(

I will email you.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 09:47:16 BDT
Derek W. says:
Smitty - picked up your earlier email so seen that you had problems with the Dr Feelgood.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 13:26:01 BDT
Welcome back Derek, please don't mention the weather!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 22:44:36 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Timed it well Derek,4 of July! welcome back to Blighty.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 23:56:40 BDT
china cat says:
It's right blighty weather up here anyway

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 00:22:14 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
.....a tinkle for the 4th of July

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUUqnjxwqk&feature=related

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 23:32:11 BDT
Wichita Jack says:
Hey guys, thought I'd add to the discussion, seen this thread on here a few times before, been meaning to post. 26, been listening to the Dead for about seven years now. 28/12/69 got the ball rolling for me, mainly stick to 68-70/73/77. Taken a trip across the pond a couple of times to see the boys, The Dead at MSG 04/25/09 and Furthur at Radio City 02/23-24/10.

Anyone listen to the Bob Weir Acoustic Trio shows from last month? The shows are on the Internet Archive, some well recorded AUD's there. I was impressed with 08/20/11 and was looking forward to the performances, didn't disappoint. Bob's got another trio going for a couple dates later this month with Hornsby and Branford Marsalis, that should be interesting.

Posted on 7 Jul 2012 01:04:48 BDT
Greysuit says:
Hi Wichita Jack and welcome aboard.

I see that you're in the UK - and - as breaking news - there looks like there could be another October 'Dead Fest' down in Kernow (Cornwall) this year.

Last year's get together in Fowey was a grate sucess and (on another communications format) it would appear that there is already sufficient support to get together again this year. However - is Fowey o.k? - or should we look at an alternative venue?

☺ ♫ ☺ ♫ ☺

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 01:44:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jul 2012 01:55:31 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Welcome aboard the bus WJ.......

No mension of 71!!!,72!!!74!!!75!!!76!!!

We'll soon change that one!!!!

Posted on 7 Jul 2012 01:58:00 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Grey......hows your retirement! plenty time for a few ales!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 02:18:01 BDT
Greysuit says:
So has anyone else been sober since last Friday?

☺ ♫ ☺ ♫ ☺

Posted on 7 Jul 2012 17:34:20 BDT
Hi Guys & welcome to Wichita Jack!

Talking of ales, I've a few I&Gs in the house for tonight.

Must admit that after last years Deadfest, 72 has gone up the appreciation list considerably. Chris will be holding the SoL festival this weekend, don't know if his weather is holding up - pi$$ed down for another session last night down here, got another tomorrow night and the last one is Wednesday. I'm getting too old for these 15hrs working days!

DlP3 up next month, and I'm certainly hoping it will be better than V2. Oh by the way, this is out soon The Grateful Dead Movie [UK Blu-ray] for only 12 with loads of extras - gotta be worth a buy.

Hope all are well, and yep, I reckon an Oct meet again would be grate : )
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xae974f3c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  103
Total posts:  6930
Initial post:  30 May 2009
Latest post:  14 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions