Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Bands that, in your opinion have never had an average or bad album (3 albums minimum)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Mar 2014 09:03:32 GMT
Puffany says:
Obviously it will get harder after 3-4 albums.

For me, two bands off the top of my head, in my opinion:

Pixies: Surfer Rosa / Doolittle / Bossanova / Trompe le Monde = 4 albums. I do think Frank Black knew when to stop though.

Garbage: Garbage / Version 2.0 / Beautiful Garbage / Bleed Like Me / Not Your Kind Of People - Ok, 5 albums in 19 years however, all good and still going.

Who else, in your opinion?

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 09:32:07 GMT
Val H. says:
Hi Puffany:

Maybe not your favoured genre but S & G had the good sense to quit after 5 superb studio albums.

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 11:08:46 GMT
damnt good question, puffany, and i took the dug a long walk to ponder over it, and can only offer up one example. firstly i had to discount the entire reggae genre, as it was not an album based music, many of the classic lps being compiled from singles, and artists being subject to all manner of 'dodgy' releases.(keith hudson perhaps the closest to the op).
the following albums, imo, are examples of albums that don't quite support otherwise very strong catalogues - Grand Passion, The Haunted Year Autumn (greek notebook), Tender Prey (Remastered), Recent Songs, Techno Pop [2009 Digital Remaster] (2009 Digital Remaster). scott walker, ramones, the gun club all having more than one 'weaker' albums, leaves -

the cramps - never stopped rockin' - 'songs the lord taught us' / 'psychedelic jungle' / 'smell of female' / 'a date with elvis' / 'stay sick' / 'look, mom, no head' / 'flame job' / 'the big beat from badsville' / 'fiends of dope island'.

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 11:22:26 GMT
Needing three albums rules out Ponga :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 11:25:09 GMT
Hi Puffy, hope all is well down under :-)
Difficult question with the average stuck in. I can think of plenty that have not made a bad album, but plenty have dipped to the average mark. Sticking my neck out, I propose that the following have catalogues above average:

Steely Dan
Eagles
Ryan Adams

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 11:44:16 GMT
T. Franklin says:
assuming this excludes live albums etc, there are a handful of artists I've not yet gone "huh, that one wasn't up to much" with....

King Crimson
Stereolab
Porcupine Tree

I won't claim to have heard every note issued by them, but so far so good. If there wasn't a three album minimum I'd include Young Marble Giants who made a 3-track single, a 6-track e.p. and one masterful album before departing the scene.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 11:50:28 GMT
i'd second ymg, tim, superb.

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 12:51:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2014 13:02:27 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Pearl Jam have never released a poor album imo. All their 10 studio albums are excellent to my ears. In fact they've only written 2 songs that I don't like. And, I'm not a fan of Eddie Vedder's and Jeff Ament's solo stuff either. I also include, as makers of consistently excellent albums,:-

Porcupine Tree
Steven Wilson
David Bowie ( I thought some of his 1980s output dipped a bit)

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 12:54:43 GMT
Puffany says:
hey all,

13th Floor Elevators (3 studio albums)

This is so hard - who's the fool that came up with this thread?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 13:08:24 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Puffany given that you are a Pixies fan try this if you are not already familiar Comforter Better than anything Pixies released imho

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 13:59:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2014 13:59:34 GMT
TheFoe says:
The Queen Is Dead

The Smiths

Meat Is Murder

Strangeways, Here We Come

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 14:41:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2014 14:42:22 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
A good example The Foe of a band producing the goods and then getting out at the right time. I think they'd exhausted their collective partnership and I thought their last album was just slipping a bit. Morrissey, on the other hand, has gone on for too long imo. Still good live though, in his own arrogant disrespectful way.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 14:56:20 GMT
TheFoe says:
Must admit to having never heard any of Morrissey's solo albums, but then I do tend to lose interest when singers go solo, (Bruce Dickinson, Black Francis, Annie Lennox).

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 15:01:40 GMT
kinda the same when the clash split. never liked anything by the individual members. didn't mention the clash above, as 'cut the crap' would've soiled any catalogue.

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 15:28:49 GMT
DJ Control says:
The Police

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 15:39:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2014 15:44:16 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I do find this thread refreshingly respectful. The taste police (Those who know good music when they hear it!!) haven't got their claws in....Yet

The Foe. I'm not convinced that Johnny Marr has done a great job remastering The Smiths' albums. A bit on the shrill side to my ears. I do prefer the more mellow vinyl versions.

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 15:45:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2014 15:48:02 GMT
Brass Neck says:
Talking Heads - many diversions but always interesting and never a bad album.

JJ Grey & Mofro - OK, he's relatively unknown and hasn't reached the end of his career but 6 albums in and it's all been a superbly consistent gumbo of soul, blues, country and rock.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 15:50:35 GMT
DJ Control says:
Love Talking Heads but thought Naked was a really bad album.

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 16:03:56 GMT
Wharf Rat says:
Hi Puff,long time,hows you doing me old sunshine...:-)

Doors
Frank Zappa
Fairport Convention
Caravan
Pink Floyd

to mension a few......

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 16:18:23 GMT
Doors let themselves down with Soft Parade for me.
Zappa was patchy, although there are many superb albums.
Fairports I guess is a matter of taste!
I can never forgive Floyd for The Wall!
Caravan is a maybe :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 16:19:28 GMT
If ever there was a post to show the difference in our taste Foe, this is is ;-)

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 16:21:27 GMT
I'll tender another couple:

Counting Crows
Ryan Adams

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 16:28:59 GMT
Derek W. says:
I'll offer up The Decemberists.

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 16:29:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2014 16:41:20 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are not to everyone's taste, but I would contest that very few, if any, of their releases have been bad or average.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 16:30:17 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I agree CD Soft Parade is the one Doors album I struggle with at times. Still a worthy contribution though imo. I'm also a Floyd fan and still can't connect with The Wall although some believe it to be their finest album. Easy to string 3 gems together though. Mine are DSOTM, WYWH and Animals. I know nothing about the music of Caravan and FC and have only just started to explore Zappa.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
It's Beginning To Look A lot Like Christmas... 177 6 minutes ago
MP3 Song Title Intercourse - The Conversation Continues... 445 10 minutes ago
Electronic Soundscapes, Digital Beats and Anything & Everything That Grooves and Moves Your Mind, Body & Soul. 1743 13 minutes ago
Cream Of 2014 - Round 4 - Noms 18 41 minutes ago
How close are you to completing your music collection? 76 48 minutes ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 7439 1 hour ago
Follow the Lyric Game 6138 2 hours ago
Music Forumers Suggested Themes- Track 37 Votes - The Seasons; Spring, Summer, Winter, Autumn or Fall 2 2 hours ago
Music Forumers Suggested Themes- Track 37 Noms - . The Seasons; Spring, Summer, Winter, Autumn or Fall 60 10 hours ago
Best releases of 2014. Nominate 5. 49 14 hours ago
The Music Forum's Movie Recommendations! 824 15 hours ago
Christmas fun list - songs to cheer us up during the yuletide thing. 2 23 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  8 Mar 2014
Latest post:  12 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions