Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

oh, yes, i love that album, it's a classic, it's in my top ten......lend you it?...no, i don't actually own it!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jan 2014 17:34:03 GMT
for a multitude of reasons, i have never owned a copy of an album that would accompany me to a desert island, a rock 'n' roll masterpiece, an album that is a recognised classic. this thought was inspired by smitty who inferred that you don't actually have to be listening to a piece of music to appreciate it or know every nuance, click or hiss (plenty on this record).

ladies and gentlemen i don't give you "songs the lord taught us" by the cramps!

does anyone else (not) have an album that they consider vital to their musical well being?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 17:38:07 GMT
Simple answer is "no" tech - if I really like/want it, I buy!!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 18:35:58 GMT
Johnny Bee says:
Probably loads - but ignorance is bliss.

I'm on my second or third copy of 'Songs The Lord Taught Us' (a double header with 'Off The Bone'), though ;-)

Posted on 9 Jan 2014 18:56:28 GMT
Sparky says:
I'm doing this wrong obviously, I seem to have loads of albums that I don't really want!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 19:15:21 GMT
How the hell do you manage that Sparky??!!!

Posted on 9 Jan 2014 19:17:35 GMT
easytiger says:
Despite having all Sabbath's other albums, I still don't have the first album despite knowing it off by heart. Never ever have possessed DSOTM, same rules apply.
I do have the same as JB though. Why don't you have it tech?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 19:42:40 GMT
i have a large amount of cramps albums, singles, literature, but got by on listening to mate's copies, when it came out . i have material that pre-dates the 1st album, tho', but when i thought to buy my own copy (when working in record shop), i found that it had been 'cleaned up', ie, the hiss and most of the fuzz guitar removed. this horrified me, as it is an album that is meant to sound like it was recorded in a public toilet, so i left it alone, and have never came across a, preferably vinyl, original copy. it'll fall into my lap someday.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 19:58:10 GMT
easytiger says:
Strange. The CD I have has a bit of hiss and all the fuzz. Maybe that's because it's a pirate version. Reckon Lux would appreciate that.

Posted on 9 Jan 2014 20:00:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jan 2014 12:51:10 GMT
TheFoe says:
Like Easy Tiger I know DSOTM off by heart but have never owned it, do own Dub Side Of The Moon though.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 20:09:34 GMT
yeah, there's been various unannounced versions, i reckon. they were a band ill suited to the medium of cd.

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 07:49:31 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I couldn't be without an album that I really like but I've never owned some of my favorite singles:-

All The Young Dudes (I have Bowie's live version)
Maggie May
Pick Up The Pieces

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 08:21:06 GMT
Haven't bothered with singles since 67 when I lost interest in the charts. Unfortunately today it appears the way folk cherry pick from albums, the concept of listening to single tracks is probably more popular than it has been for years.

I'm definitely old school (surprise, surprise), simply put an album on track one and let it play through in sequence to the end!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 09:12:46 GMT
Sparky says:
Hi Cornish, what I was meaning is that I no longer seem to have time or inclination to listen to all but a few of my cd's so you could say I don't really want the rest - I actually found a few last week that I didn't know I had! have often been tempted to thin out collection for a bit of cash but don't seem to have time for that either!!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 09:33:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jan 2014 09:36:43 GMT
Ah, that's different Sparky. I have loads of albums that haven't seen the light of day for 10 years plus, however most of the vinyl that I sold for good money in the 90s has been replaced along with albums that disappeared into the mist in my youth. I (try to) restrict my purchases to albums I really want or artists I collect these days, but it doesn't always work!
(The Dead/Garcia anual output is enough to keep me in the poor house as well as the dog house!!!)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 09:50:19 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
D'ya mean to say mrs CD don't share your appreciation for the Californian hippies CD?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 10:53:28 GMT
Nothing against the music Nuge, she like West Coast music, it's the storage that is her gripe ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 12:44:12 GMT
Gordon D says:
I'm in the same dinghy, tech. I don't own:

Poetic Champions Compose - Van Morrison (used to have it on vinyl; CD has always been way too expensive)

Grace & Danger - John Martyn (have it on cassette <shudder> and over half the tracks on compilation CDs but have never got round to buying the album on CD)

Red Roses For Me and Rum, Sodomy & The Lash - The Pogues (have the former on cassette and used to have the latter on vinyl; know every note of both albums and often have them playing in my head but ought to buy CDs)

The Doors (just playing it on Youtube as I write; used to borrow a friend's copy all the time; I don't know why I've never bought it)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 13:08:26 GMT
Poetic Champions Compose was dirt cheap when originally issued on CD as I remember buying 3 CDs for £20 in my local independent, long since closed!
The Doors is the only album I have bought on 3 formats, vinyl, cassette & CD!

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 13:15:54 GMT
I have more than enough excellent albums, far to many really I suppose, to feel that any lack will affect my musical well being the least bit. Heard hundreds of top notch albums that at the time I think "yeah must get that myself". But then again why, it'll probably end up consigned to a shelf/drawer due to chronic illness of CD buyitis utilising all my time to get in some paltry listening sessions to new to me music before these too are too quickly consigned to the "I've already heard that" storage facilities..

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 14:56:57 GMT
another couple of albums i'm completely au fait with, but have never purchased would be Violent Femmes and Hallowed Ground - both brilliant, imo

Posted on 10 Jan 2014 15:35:45 GMT
I must admit that back in the 60s my friends & I would often not duplicate our albums as there was so much to buy and hear. One friend used to have a box in a great independent called The Left Bank where anything the owner thought he might like was placed in it before it went on public display. We would spend an afternoon in there listening and between us often take the lot!!

Very happy days :-D

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 16:34:40 GMT
..so is that the origin of your love for boxed sets then?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 17:03:35 GMT
Wharf Rat says:
Ditto Cornish,I used to have first choise before the vinyl was given
the light of day......some crackers too,all imports from across the pond.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2014 17:40:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jan 2014 17:41:16 GMT
To be honest Peter, although I had a couple of vinyl boxes and a couple of promo cassette sets which were given to me, it really started when my oldest friend came down to see me from Yorkshire and brought with him the original LZ box which had just been released as a present - reckon that was 1990. At the time my CD collection was small as I had only switched from vinyl about the start of 89, but I've never looked back ;-)

Posted on 12 Jan 2014 09:21:03 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I can't imagine not owning an album in my top ten, classic, I love it, list. If I know it inside out, and love it so much, I couldn't comprehend not owning it. That said, there are plenty of almost universally accepted classic albums out there, that I don't care for, or care enough to own. As Peter said, "I have more than enough excellent albums, far to many really I suppose, to feel that any lack will affect my musical well being the least bit."
The problem, if I have one at all, is related to Peter's statement - in that, I can't imagine what my top ten, classic, I love it, list would be! If I were going to tech sergeant's desert island, I have no idea what my desert island discs would be.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the music discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Fave Artists Thread Problem (not troll-related) 14 32 minutes ago
Music Forum Folks' Suggested Themes - Track 97 Nominations - Makes & models of cars - any song with the name of a car manufacturer or one of their models (even if the song isn't about a car e.g. Wild Rover 83 38 minutes ago
Music Forum Artist(s) - Track 278 - The Chemical Brothers nominated by Philip Burrell -VOTES!!! 47 48 minutes ago
Lyrical relay - pass the verbal baton - - - 6134 1 hour ago
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB - call & response : how many roads must a man walk down ? 8740 1 hour ago
Deadheads Utd 8128 1 hour ago
Follow the Lyric Game 8230 1 hour ago
i read a book once. green it was 1011 3 hours ago
OT: Amazon Have Updated The Profile Pages Again! 123 5 hours ago
Reggae/Dub Forum Road Show 2028 7 hours ago
Who is your fave artist for the virtual music game? List of those nominated! 180 8 hours ago
Who is your fave artist that you think win a track for the virtual music game? 1880 8 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  9 Jan 2014
Latest post:  12 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions