Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Worst and best venue for door/security staff!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2013 08:17:29 GMT
As someone who queues for hours to make sure I'm on the barrier, it's amazing much it depends on the security guards opening the doors.

Worst venue - Wolverhampton Civic (6 doors to choose from and the worst security staff ever, especially the women)

Best venue - Liverpool Echo Arena (fantastic front of house staff and once inside there were no problems. Wasn't made to feel like cattle unlike some venues!)

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 08:58:11 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Roundhay Park, Leeds. A very hot summer in 1982 (I think). Security staff had 120,000 people to manage. Everyone got in on time. I found the staff to be both polite and efficient. They also distributed free bottles of water during the day. This was the first of a number of big name concerts that Leeds Council put on at RP and they used the same security company for a number of them.

Worst. I don't think I've ever had a bad experience on the door

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 10:25:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2013 10:27:53 GMT
Val H. says:
Thank you Debra for allowing me to air some grievances.

Absolute worst : The Sidney Myer Music Bowl (open-air amphitheatre, 25,000 capacity of which approx 2000 are reserved seats). They have the capacity for two entrances but usually only utilise one. If they do open the one round the back, they never tell you, so you daren't risk losing your place in the long, amorphous queue. The site is administered by the Melbourne Arts Centre, who, curiously, will feature as my best provider. Their website will say "Large queues can be expected at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl Box Office on the event day. Please allow sufficient time to queue if you have purchased General Admission tickets as this area is unreserved and the queues usually start forming before the gates open." Just one problem, if you have a Reserved Seat, you still get to queue with the thousands of General Admission punters. Melbourne crowds are pretty polite and we will queue for hours in blazing hot sun with no one to tell you when the gates will open or which direction the queue should take (we're talking Botanic Gardens here) but occasionally there's a revolt and near stampede. When you get to the gates, every bag is searched to within an inch of its life (it's an open-air venue for heaven's sake, people have picnics and eskies and chairs which they have been carrying for hours, but God forbid you might have tried to sneak some alcohol in and not paid the exorbitant prices inside!). As you can imagine, this slows down the entry process no end leading to much muttering (and worse) in the ranks. Two hours later when you've got through the barricades and found your reserved seat or claimed a GA vantage point, you then attempt to queue for a drink - but oh no, you must front a security guard to prove you're above age. I wish I were under 18 but I'm 63 and there's not a snowflake's chance in hell anyone is going to believe I'm sneaking an illegal drink. So I have to queue for a wristband before I can queue for a drink. Now, carrying two or more drinks plus my wallet, I make my way back to the reserved seats. But wait, yet another officious security guard has to see my ticket in case I'm one of the great GA unwashed trying to sneak a better seat. Surely if I sit in a reserved seat I'm not entitled to, I'm going to get chucked out of it by the rightful owner at some stage. But no, I must try to find somewhere to deposit my drinks without losing half of them (I'm standing in a wide tarmac road here) so that I can show this moron my ticket. If I wasn't really keen to see Neil Young, k.d. lang, Rickie Lee Jones, etc, I'd avoid it like the plague.

Some curious conditions of entry:
The beautiful old Palais Theatre on the sea front at St Kilda (seats 2800) where I saw Elvis Costello on Friday night. The door staff have this thing about bottled water. Danny Katz says it better than I can in "Water nazis appear on queue"

"'BETTER hide your stash, dudes," whispered the beardy guy in front of us. "Security is checking bags and if they find any gear, they're gonna bust ya." And the beardy guy was right: I could see security at the front door, checking everyone in the queue as we stepped into the Palais Theatre, making sure we didn't smuggle any illegal substances into this rock concert - namely all small plastic containers containing pure, raw, uncut 100-proof drinking water. You could probably drag in a shipping container of meth, ecstasy and ganja and they would let you right through, but try smuggling in one 350-millilitre bottle of Mount Franklin and you'd be hauled out of line, forced to dump it out on the footpath, and publicly humiliated like a common water-boozing junkie-crim ............
http://www.theage.com.au/national/melbourne-life/water-nazis-appear-on-queue-20091202-k6cr.html

Then there's The Palace (holds 1850) and where I'll be seeing Of Monsters & Men and Fun in the next few weeks. Their pet peeve is footwear. As you queue in the smelly alley around the side, security will be roaming up and down with eyes cast firmly on everyone's feet. If you should happen to have slipped your feet into a pair of thongs (flip-flops, jandals), you can expect to be removed from the queue and publicly shamed before being refused entry. "But it's 40°C" you moan. Doesn't count. Peter Hanlon had this problem just before Christmas when attempting to see Primal Scream. "Thongs, sung blue. Enough to make you primal scream"
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/thongs-sung-blue-enough-to-make-you-primal-scream-20121213-2bceh.html

And just in case you think it's all doom and gloom downunder, I give you the staff at the Melbourne Arts Centre. On the telephone : "What, Madam? You've lost your tickets to David Byrne/St Vincent. Just give me your name and replacement tickets will be waiting for you at the Box Office an hour before the show. Charge? No, no charge. Enjoy the show." Crisis averted!

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 10:25:52 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 6 Mar 2013 07:53:23 GMT]

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 11:15:45 GMT
Been to see Erasure twice at Cardiff St David's Hall in. Queued from about 11 am. Strange queuing experience in that you have to run up an escalator, turn a corner and then run up some stairs!

First time we went, misjudged the corner which meant I fell on someone about eight stone (I was about 18 stone at the time) and then someone who was 25 stone plus fell on top us! We limped to the front but made it :-)

The second time I went, we ran down the stairs to the front to find that 12 people were already on the barrier who weren't even in the queue! Add to that an idiot of a woman proclaiming that out stalls tickets weren't for standing and keeping us back!

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 11:47:35 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Went to the O2 Millenium Arena or whatever they're calling it this week, for the first time late last year to see The Stones. I was full of trepidation about the venue, acoustics and security, I was fully expecting the worst. I have to say, they have got the whole thing down pat. Transport, tube, bus or riverbus all stop within a couple of hundred metres of venue, loads of jovial staff along the route to front doors, loads of greeters to direct you to the right internal entrances, plenty of bars around the 'internal circle' catering specifically for beer, wine, whiskey or champagne. Nice, courteous security staff. For me the funniest thing was seeing all the middle aged grandmothers all unwrapping and eating muffins when I commented, a nice lady informed me that as there is a no smoking policy, everyone was eating hash cookies and would I like one?!!!

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 12:23:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2013 12:24:31 GMT
It did occur to me that most of these "arena's" just herd the fans in before, and out after. Then expect you to pay ridiculous prices for the privilege! Having paid £40 and then £50 to watch Muse, my friend asked me to watch Rush at the MEN for £70! Thanks, but no thank! I then started going to smaller venues around the area, and managed to get to my next SIX gigs for the same £70. Of the best I've been to is The Robin 2 in Bilston, always a good friendly atmosphere, decent beer (Banks) and selection of scran available at decent prices. Also an opportunity to actually interact with bands, either in the courtyard or in the venue after the gig. The Robin 2 has been voted the Top Venue in Prog magazine for 2012, and have always enjoyed it there, even though it is outside my usual range, but don't mind doing the extra miles for, what I consider a privilege.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2013 20:41:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2013 20:43:01 GMT
mancheeros says:
seasicktim: I remember seeing Gong at Truro City Hall in Cornwall some 20 ahem years ago. As you went in everyone got given a lit incense stick ! Can't think what smells they were trying to mask :)

Funny you should say that. I remember going to see Hawkwind in the mid-70s at Torquay town hall (I was on holiday there) and bundles of aromatic things were handed out. I was a young schoolboy at the time and I nearly left because I thought all these old hippies were going to force me to smoke strange substances. A kind old geezer nearby said it was OK, they were just joss sticks and I would come to no harm. Then Hawkwind (with Stacia) came on and my cosy little world was turned upside down...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  27 Jan 2013
Latest post:  27 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions