Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Posted on 14 Aug 2012 10:08:00 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
Rubycon and Phaedra are the only 2 i have - both excellent

also admired Schulze's work on Stomu Yamashta's Go and Go Too albums

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 13:34:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Aug 2012 13:35:15 BDT
2old4925 says:
I can certainly 'big-up' Aqua - both are great! Brain & Virgin released separate versions with different mixes, edits and song order, both in 1974.

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 05:11:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Aug 2012 05:14:09 BDT
mancheeros says:
My two favourite Tangerine Dream albums are 'Zeit' and 'Rubycon', and if you're looking for an Edgar Froese solo album then it has to be 'Epsilon In Malaysian Pale'. All three are highly recommended to the adventurous listener. I've been listening to these albums over many years and there's always something new to hear.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 17:11:58 BDT
gordon, even tho' i don't agree with you re excellence of "force majeure", i'd readily endorse your endorsement of tim blake ; both his albums as i had on vinyl ("crystal machine" & "new jerusalem"). even tho' they seem to be going for silly money these days. good call also red mosquito re "aqua", edgar froese's solo effort ; give it a spin, nuge.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 12:51:18 BDT
Gordon Dent says:
Nuge - I thought you would probably want stuff that's heavy on sequencers, which was the reason for my recommendations. It was also the reason why I recommended Klaus Schulze, as he makes heavier use of them than TD.

Tangerine Dream re-recorded Hyperborea in 2008. The whole album is available on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyVZ9CTSvZs) and sounds good.

If you can ever get hold of a track by Tim Blake (former Gong/Hawkwind keyboard player) called Flight Over The City Of Revelations, I think you'll love it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 09:06:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Aug 2012 09:16:56 BDT
Ta peeps one and all. I'm pretty specific about what I'm looking for Space and that is stuff that's heavy on sequencers and is trance-like. As soon as vocals, live drums etc come into the mix it goes to cock a bit IMO. The Risky Business tracks, Phaedre, Rubicon and Ricochet in particular fit the bill perfectly. I've heard Force Majeure, Parc and White Eagle and they dont quite do it.

Morning GAID, It's been a while. Things are good here in Mannheim though probably not blazing like in your neck of the woods. Funny thing but being in Germany I'm undeliberately (not a real word I know)listening to loads of German electronica. It truly is the home of the genre. It's only right I give TD a good hearing from start to finish.

Gordon - got Encore and Hyperborea lined up as the next to listen to. So apart from Cyclone which ones have vocals on so i can give them a miss

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 21:03:50 BDT
R. W. says:
Nothing quite beats the "Fly and Collision of Comas Sola" up loud, like two behemoth spaceships colliding together in very slow motion. The drum solo is to die for.

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 20:50:48 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
N_D you already have the best of TD albums imo but you might like this Aqua

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 19:42:37 BDT
Spacepig says:
And what do we make of The Orb remix?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8aS3WWR8M

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 19:38:46 BDT
Timmsy says:
"Underwater Sunlight" is an 80's must-have."Optical Race" was under estimated too.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 18:31:27 BDT
hi nuge, long time no, but super busy here on côte d'azur ; hope u also having decent (& warm) summer up there in mannheim. unlike gordon, i rather rate "force majeure" ; some great acoustic guitar on 1st 2 tracks & 3rd is all-out "flangers on overdrive", as 1 reviewer put it. think you'd also appreciate experimental (& utterly original, in those days) nature of their earlier oeuvre too, especially "zeit" & "alpha centauri". "phaedra" is still my overall favourite tho'. that & "force majeure" especially are excellent on headphones. especially after a couple of jazz cigarettes....enjoy !

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 17:37:56 BDT
i had Phaedra on vinyl as a spotty teen (actually that's not right. I was fortunate enough to never be spotty), lent it to someone, never got it back. Finally got the CD in the last year along with Rubycon which I'd somehow managed to nevr hear. This latter IMO is not as good unlike as Space already mentioned White Eagle which is excellent.
Logos, a live outing 'aint too shoddy either.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 17:35:07 BDT
2old4925 says:
Gotta be a contender for my funeral music!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 17:33:28 BDT
Spacepig says:
Well, that more or less sums it up. Couldn't have put it better myself :-)

Zeit was the first one of theirs I heard, and I have had to buy it a few times since. Still a great album, but you have to be careful of the surroundings when listening to it, it really sucks you in.

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 17:28:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2012 17:29:28 BDT
2old4925 says:
Been planning Zeit over & over all afternoon. Hawklord review on zon.com sums it up better than I ever could:

Perhaps no other album better defines the aims and techniques of kosmische musik than Zeit. As Julian Cope explains in his Krautrocksampler, "...its remarkable unchanging unfolding near-static barely-shifting vegetable organic-ness takes over the room and permeates the whole house...the room in which Zeit is playing becomes that room." To say that Zeit is otherworldly is understating the matter considerably. These are the sounds the stars make as they exhaust their nuclear fuel and collapse inward through the fabric of space itself to some inscrutable fate. These are sonic portraits of yawning alien vistas, hymns to the staggering distances between the island galaxies. Zeit evokes ancient memories of our extraterrestrial origins, visions that are at once immense, incomprehensible, profound, amorphous and utterly cosmic. The sustained cello note that slowly emerges out of the silence at the beginning of "Birth of Liquid Plejades" resonates like some fearful cord of memory being struck at the base of one's brain, dredging up dim shadows of mystical transfigurations from the inorganic to the sentient, from nonexistence to being. Like an iceberg slowly forming, the piece adds layer upon layer of sound, eventually drifting into an interlude of stasis and calm supported by Edgar Froese's plaintive organ and the aqueous flow of guest Florian Fricke's modular Moog. "Nebulous Dawn" ushers in Eno's ambient music program a decade ahead of schedule. Rising out of a primordial drone, the piece quickly turns into a lysergic nightmare, visualized in sound and transmitted on the radio waves of the subconscious mind. Its detuned bell tones klang ominously atop a background of carefully mixed and modulated electronic sounds, ranging from high-pitched shrieks and sub-harmonnic rumblings to disembodied moans and the spectral effluvia of ectoplasmic generators. Both "Origin of Supernatural Probabilities" and "Zeit" are similar in design, though more minimalist in execution. Quiet and introspective, both of these tracks utilize primarily the same sound sources from "Birth of Liquid Plejades" and "Nebulous Dawn," yet achieve a more muted, autumnal effect. "Origin..." and "Zeit" take on the character of phantom landscapes lost somewhere on the border between consciousness and unconsciousness. Listen to Zeit one evening when you're taking a dip in the isolation tank, and you may never find your way back to reality.

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 17:27:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2012 17:30:41 BDT
Gordon Dent says:
I'd second Spacepig's recommendation of Encore: Live and add the full album of Stratosfear and Hyperborea. While you might not immediately think of them as a live album band, Logos: Live at the Dominion, London 1982 and Ricochet are very good, too. Cyclone is the Virgin-era one to avoid (because of the comical vocals). I like Force Majeure and Tangram but wouldn't recommend them as highly as Encore, Stratosfear and Hyperborea. Of the later stuff I've heard, Tyranny of Beauty is okay but nothing special.

I know you don't want non-TD recommendations, but Tangerine Dream/Ash Ra Tempel founder member Klaus Schulze has produced some fantastic solo stuff. Have a quick listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kmZIfNAGsI and then try some of his later techno stuff.

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 15:12:44 BDT
Wharf Rat says:
Only have Phaedra in the vaults but can remember
the late John Peel ravin'n'droolin' bout the Tangs in the early 70s on his
'Top Gear' radio show.

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 14:27:31 BDT
Lez Lee says:
I started off with the soundtrack Thief and then got The Electronic Journey (10 CD box set) for, I think £4.99 a couple of years ago. I'm no connoisseur but most of them are pretty good. There's just one with female vocals which is rubbish.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 14:18:28 BDT
2old4925 says:
Good that TD has become a family business handed down from father to son so newbies can see them live, but in doing so they have become a shadow of their former greatness (much like Hawkwind it pains me to say!!!).

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 14:02:17 BDT
Spacepig says:
I don't have any of the Esoteric releases 2old, got all my TD before they came out and haven't upgraded (too much else to buy). But, sooner or later I will get Tyger as I don't have that one yet. Not suitable for this discussion though as it has vocals and can't really be considered a classic.

I suppose with TD it's all a matter of what you are looking for. I really like all the early stuff, but I can also appreciate a lot of the mid and late works too. I think I am the only person in the world who actually likes Cyclone (and yes, even the vocal tracks). The problem with them is, there are just so many CDs that it's impossible to even make an attempt at keeping up.

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 13:38:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2012 13:45:51 BDT
2old4925 says:
In my opinion Nuge all albums before the Virgin Years are amazing, while those after are non essential (except Sorcerer soundtrack). Buy the Esoteric reissues if possible. Not often I disagree with Space but I'm not a great fan of either TD's or Hawkwind's non 70's classic output. Also essential are:
The Bootleg Box Set Vol.1
The Bootleg Box Set Vol.2
Solo (1974-1983) The Virgin Years

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 12:22:30 BDT
Spacepig says:
And for a live one, Encore: Live is hard to beat. Just noticed, great prices on the TD CDs now as well, good time to buy.

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 12:16:06 BDT
Spacepig says:
My favourite has always been White Eagle. I had it for about 2 years before I managed to listen to it right the way through. In a certain state of herbal intoxication, it does weird things to the brain.

Initial post: 8 Aug 2012 12:00:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2012 12:02:04 BDT
I've sorta got into TD retrospectively through going back to the source of the electronica which spawned the likes of Orbital and Underworld. I've got The Virgin Years: 1974-1978 which has their bona fide classic albums but am looking for TD stuff that's as good. But it's got to be vocal-free and pure atmospheric electronica and no 'proper' instuments. Please dont mention other acts. I'm only interested in TD. Go for it..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  8 Aug 2012
Latest post:  14 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions