Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Pure Pop Bands

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Mar 2012 12:47:19 GMT
suziex says:
I realise that I'll probably be laughed at but I don't hear any pure pop groups . I loved the sound of groups like the Nolans, Brotherhood Of Man , Bananrama and so on.I wish those days would come back.:-(

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:03:12 GMT
Spacepig says:
Try Marianas Trench if you dare!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 13:03:33 GMT
Val H. says:
I'm a lover of good pop music but my tastes may be a bit older than yours - Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, etc but up to and including ABBA and Nick Lowe. I think most of today's pop comes out of Europe and is more electro-pop. I've been listening to a bit of Donkeyboy (Norway) and I like El Perro del Mar and Miike Snow (Sweden). Then there's Phoenix (France) and Grizzly Bear (ostensibly American although I think they live in three different countries). And from my home country (Australia) I like royalchord. They probably are a bit remote from the sounds you're talking about but the (good) thing about music is that it rarely goes backwards so just enjoy what you have of those artists you mention. I've often said before on these threads that pop music should be fun and I don't think there is too much music around today (at least in the charts) that you can say is just pure, good fun.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:04:09 GMT
RAB says:
Coldplay?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 13:05:34 GMT
RAB says:
Val, I wouldn't call Grizzly Bear pop at all. Quite challenging stuff to get into I've found.

What about Foster the People? MGMT?

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:05:46 GMT
RAB says:
Naked and Famous.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:06:07 GMT
RAB says:
Right I'm done now.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 13:14:10 GMT
Val H. says:
RAB - I think "Veckatimest" can be listened to on a superficial level and just enjoyed as pop.

Still on electro-pop, Australia's Gypsy & The Cat also comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioier5yELZw

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:30:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2012 13:31:24 GMT
RedAlFire says:
I agree that good pop music is an art. There is plenty in Iberia but overall it is pretty dire (which is why so much UK and US music gets European airplay). The question posed is a good one suzie...I'll have a think on that over the next few days and post again. I must admit that the topic has been a conversation with friends a few months ago when relaxing over copious amounts of wine and good food. Trouble is I can't remember too much of what was said...;-)

I would say that Bruno Mars has done some pretty good 'pop' like songs.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:34:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2012 13:35:37 GMT
I miss the pop songs of my youth too...bands like White Plains , Middle Of The Road, Pickettywitch and so on , who were good for a bit of harmless fun. very little like that around any more unfortunately.
Your reply to Kevin J. Payne's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:34:47 GMT
Val H. says:
Al - good call with Bruno Mars, and his mate Cee Lo Green also puts out very catchy stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 13:37:25 GMT
Carradale says:
I miss The Beatles......

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 13:37:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2012 13:38:36 GMT
Cee Lo Green surely falls into the soul bracket rather than pop though Valerie ... I'd equate him to artists like Billy Ocean and Johnny Johnson , rather than the pop type things mentioned in the OP.

If he is pop though, I'd suggest Eli Paperboy Brown as retrospective souly/pop..

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 13:56:30 GMT
RAB says:
Cee Lo's pop with a Soul sound, I'd say.

Olly Murs does fairly carefree pop which is fairly listenable.

Val, there's a few songs like that on Veckatimist, but I imagine if you said to Grizzly and their fans that they're pop, they'd be offended.

Just thought of another. Best Coast.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 14:07:17 GMT
Post Soviet says:
Yes, John and George paticularly.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 14:10:54 GMT
suziex says:
I got the Cee Lo Green album , but it's not pop to me even though I like it. Don't like Bruno Mars at all , and certainly not Coldplay.
Thank you for all your answers.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 14:12:22 GMT
....wish I'd missed the Beatles too, Carra .......

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 14:16:46 GMT
Carradale says:
Sorry, Kevin. Couldn't resist!

)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 16:18:15 GMT
RedAlFire says:
Maybe not suzie but you have got to admit 'The Lazy Song' is pure pop!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 16:33:04 GMT
li red al, agree re bruno mars ; his "you're amazing" gets plenty airplay here in france. as do keane, colbie caillat & 1 I quite like by lady antebellum, but don't know title of (sample lyric : "it's a quarter after 1, i'm a little drunk & i need you now"). suggest u sample some of these, suzie.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 17:19:29 GMT
suziex says:
Spacepig - I've just tried Marianas Trench, but I'd rather not again. Were you joking?
Thanks for all your help.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 17:31:03 GMT
RedAlFire says:
Think that's Need You Now GAID. Perhaps just a step up from pop...IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2012 18:14:25 GMT
Spacepig says:
Marianas Trench are a bit of a joke around here suzie. No offense intended, can someone dig out the thread(s) for suzie, I am working just now and can't do it until much later on.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 18:39:22 GMT
telly addict says:
suziex, try Olly Murs, quite good pop, know what you mean though, good pop is a bit thin on the ground lately. I also love good pop music.

Kevin, loved Middle of The Road too

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 18:59:52 GMT
RedAlFire says:
Bought Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep in Lloret in 1971 - smashed out of my box I was and that was all that was playing wherever we went! Nasally lead singer....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  15 Mar 2012
Latest post:  19 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions