Customer Discussions > music discussion forum

Tunes that grab you by the cojones and blow your minds

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Mar 2012 12:53:59 GMT
Nugent_Dirt says:
How often is it that you hear a tune that totally blows you away, that you have to get immediately and when you do you play it back to back time and again. It's like seeing a someone who's looks make you turn to jelly..a rare thing happening as frequently as Halleys Comet or Michael MacIntyre telling a funny joke. What's the last tune you heard that had this effect? For me it's Blind Faith by Chase & Status released over a year ago

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=JN46c6_ptVY

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 12:57:48 GMT
RAB says:
Little Black Submarines by The Black Keys and The Wolves by Ben Howard.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 12:58:16 GMT
Spacepig says:
Someone (I forget who) mentioned Suicide on the dance/electronica thread a few weeks back. That one just grabbed me by the short and curlies. Listened to a few tracks on youtube and just had to buy the CD. Hardly been out of the CD player since. Also ordered up another couple of theirs which have yet to be delivered.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 12:59:56 GMT
RAB says:
Should probably add that I only heard Little Black Submarines after buying the album... Does that disqualify it?

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:00:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 13:03:43 GMT
Is there any need for this thread Nuge? ...what's wrong with the Juke Box Jury thread if you want to suggest a tune? you've just given a load of straight misses there...are you expecting everyone to slate this on?

My verdicton Chase And Status ...MASSIVE MISS...horrible noise.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:03:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 13:05:57 GMT
RedAlFire says:
Good one Nuge...remember watching that on telly and thinking ''now that's the way to get the crowd going...''. Think I've only heard it live though, if I've heard a studio version it didn't have the same effect.

I get to hear a lot of stuff, many of which raise the hairs of anticipation...some fail..sadly fewer fulfill. The first time I heard this though I thought WOW...great beat, great voice, excellent content..

Raise Me up by Hercules Love Affair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtuBtWQ4wRM&feature=related

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:06:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 13:17:05 GMT
Hercules & Love Affair - Raise Me Up

Close but no cigar.Started off OK but got a little monotonous. Just on the MISS side...if only it had been the proper Love Affair with Steve Ellis on vocals!

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:07:59 GMT
nocheese says:
I have never been grabbed by the cojones.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:08:27 GMT
...yet :-)

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:08:38 GMT
RAB says:
Ooh, ooh, slag mine off next Kev!

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:10:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 13:16:36 GMT
Not if it's a goodie ...i only just realised you put two up , as there wasn't a link. I'll have a listen.

Edit
Black Keys - Little Black Submarines
It's a ripoff of the tunee to "Stairway To Heaven" . MISS for plaigerism.

Ben Howard - The Wolves
I like this. A bit of guitar strumming. Singer in tune . Sound interesting enough. HIT

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 13:13:32 GMT
RedAlFire says:
That's ok Kev...I'm just grateful they weren't the Everlasting Love Affair they threatened to be. Phew...;-)

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:16:04 GMT
...now they're only Bringing On Back The Good Times and are no doubt still performing in Rainbow Valley

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 13:16:36 GMT
Carradale says:
Are we back to the balls of Kirriemuir?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 13:26:53 GMT
RedAlFire says:
..Let Me Know if in there, there's Only One Road for Someone Like Me. Accept Me For What I Am, I'm Happy but Gone Are The Songs Of Yesterday and that Brings My Whole World Tumbling Down! ;-)

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:46:25 GMT
Ben Basing says:
I heard the Creedence Clearwater cover of Heard it Through the Grapevine (at a graffiti show!) and spent a bit of faff trying to get hold of it, but the (studio) recording I have doesn't quite make it. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with my memory or alternative versions of the same tune ... I think the one I originally heard was live- a ten minute job anyway.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:49:56 GMT
T. Franklin says:
Heard this on the radio a week or two back. Lots of obvious influences but they've managed to create something that isn't wholly derivative.

Howler - Back Of Your Neck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swg9X1LcXm8

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 13:52:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 13:55:07 GMT
...not live BB , but the album original release of Cosmos Factory ,the CCR album from which IHITTG is taken was 11 minutes and 5 seconds...perhaps that's what you're after ?

A single edit was released around 1977 (CF was 1970) and made the US top 40.

Howler - Back Of Your Neck
The Cars meet The Knack circa 1979 . Minor HIT

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 13:59:34 GMT
T. Franklin says:
S'funny. I was thinking more the Strokes in a car crash with the Beach Boys. At least it wasn't a miss, eh ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 14:04:36 GMT
RedAlFire says:
Was it this version BB....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icm6xX8tyJQ&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 14:16:58 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Mar 2012 14:56:11 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 14:39:34 GMT
Post Soviet says:
That's funny Nuge, my first reaction was - Nuge likes something by that post 60s supergroup?!?! (you know, with Clapton, Winwood). Of course my mistake. '0)

One of the latest tunes grabbed me particularly was 'It's Not My Fault' by JPT Scare Band. Don't expect same effect on any other, as tune is overly catchy, nothing original, even refrain in the end stinks of 'Hey Jude', butt...... some magic works for me. It fills me with joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDLpfmmhA08

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 14:45:53 GMT
Nugent_Dirt says:
Yes Kev there's every need for it. The Jukebox Jury thread has nothing to do with suggesting tunes for comment. It's about peeps telling us what recent tunes have grabbed them by the nads big time. It's just that if anyone names a tune that's not widely know to one and all it helps give an idea what we're on about. If people want to slate this they can though that's not the aim of this thread, not that I give a flying one anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 14:48:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 14:52:02 GMT
Nugent_Dirt says:
I think Kev and a few others are missing the point here. It's not about throwing up links to ditties you quite like. It's about telling us what recent ones have blown your mind big time, that gives you that kick in the guts feeling , just like when some drop dead gorgeous babe walks in.

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 14:48:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 14:58:04 GMT
I know that by now Nuge :-) ...must admit it's been many years since any tune has totally blown me away to the extent of your OP though...but I'll give most tracks you and everyone else puts up a listen.

...as for JJB..you should know by now I've got dyslexic tie-pin!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa3463618)

This discussion

Discussion in:  music discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  19 Mar 2012
Latest post:  19 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions