Customer Discussions > mp3 discussion forum

I cherry-picked loads of songs I'd always wanted but didn't want to buy a whole album of..

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2009 17:05:15 GMT
Yeah.
So hurrah for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2009 16:31:58 GMT
LiteraTec says:
Bet you paid more for the individuals than for the whole album.

Posted on 4 Mar 2009 21:35:10 GMT
R. Laurie says:
Yeh, individual songs are more expensive, but if there is one or 2 songs from an album you like then you save money by not having to buy the songs you dont like. It just depends on the amount of tracks you want against the price of the album.

Posted on 11 May 2012 12:38:24 BDT
I do this too...I think most people do. The slight problem with cherry-picking an album is that there is no current way to select, say, 3 songs off an album of 12 tracks and have all 3 of the songs you selected download at once. You have to pick one song, then navigate back to the album and pick another. All in all, I really love Amazon's mp3 service, so it's only a slight nit pick of mine, but it seems this issue could be easily remedied.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 19:21:20 BDT
K. Hannay says:
Can't you just add them to basket and download all of them together?

Posted on 12 May 2012 14:04:30 BDT
yes you can

Posted on 14 May 2012 14:11:10 BDT
ah, yes. I have one-click ordering turned on, so when I pick a song, it automatically downloads, then directs my browser to the page that says "Thanks for your purchase... (blah blah blah)." Then, if I want to pick another track, I have to navigate back to the album. I guess I'll have to turn the One Click function off to choose multiple songs.
Thanks

Posted on 15 May 2012 13:44:42 BDT
JayJayDee says:
Your big mistake.
Often the lesser tracks turn out to be the greater.

Classic example was the sixties when Beatles fans thought sides one were always better than sides two of successive LPs.
Then later........

Posted on 15 May 2012 15:35:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012 15:39:01 BDT
Alan says:
Hmm, such as? Abbey Road? Or TWA? Or well just about any album LP ever made I reckon. Plus, of course, listen to it thirty years later and guess what: the whole thing sounds completely different anyway. So, you pays yer money, eh? I'm having difficulty deciding just exactly which cheap deal album to spend my FREE 3 credit on! Any (nice) suggestions? NOT Arctic Monkeys/David Bowie/Kate Bush/Elvis/1980s/King Creosote/ELO/Doves/etc.

101 Love Songs anybody? xD

Posted on 15 May 2012 22:11:40 BDT
vilma says:
Can anyone PLEASE give me instructions on how to download "UPTOWN GIRL" on to my computer ...mobile phone..or MP3 player..thanks

Posted on 15 May 2012 22:17:12 BDT
vilma says:
Can anyone PLEASE give me instructions on how to download "UPTOWN GIRL" on to my computer ...mobile phone..or MP3 player..thanks

Posted on 23 May 2012 09:28:55 BDT
You are almost certainly losing out by cherry-picking the tracks that have an initial impact. The ones you leave behind usually turn out to have longevity and offer deeper satisfaction. You're just licking the icing off a cup-cake. For the same reason, I rarely buy best-of's because you are not getting the performer in his/her career context but I accept some people don't care about that. I have a colleague who possesses untold Gigabytes of downloaded cherry-picked tracks but if I ask him "Who's this playing?/What's it called?" he usually doesn't know. To me, that's somehow wrong.

Posted on 26 May 2012 18:06:56 BDT
good point well-made G Fielder - fully agree that the best tracks, the ones you end up loving are often not the first ones that grabbed you. But with cautious readings of reviews and so much, coupled with listening to the tracks first on spotify - you have a clear idea which things you might like. I do fully agree that cherry-picking isn't a good way - I do buy albums too - and value the informative booklets - feel robbed when they have no info on. So good on you. and happy listening.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 10:20:54 BDT
Peter Lanky says:
I've no personal experience with cherry picking, but my children have reported to me that those who cherry pick tunes are frequently the same ones who delete them (forever in many cases) from their portable devices 6 months later because they are bored with them, and want to listen to something new that somebody in the media has told them that they should like.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 20:30:41 BDT
2009 this thread started - sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow but steady it thrives... - yes Peter Lanky (loved your robot dances during the last world cup and soz Woy didn't bring you to Europe this time) - I never listen to the media about what music to buy (er..what are the media saying these days)

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 00:34:40 BDT
Re: Peter Lanky - While what your children are reporting to you may be partly true, (at least from their perspective), it is also a very limited one. I'm not a kid and have never deleted any of my music collection. I do buy the entire album from time to time, depending on what it is, but I find that if I'm buying songs particularly from my era of music, (mid 70's to late 80's), in many cases I have previously owned the music either as a cassette, an album, a 45, or even a 8-track. I know going in which songs have stood the test of time for 30 to 40 years, at least to me. So it seems like I'm wasting money to repurchase an entire album of songs that I had 30 years ago, some of which I will never listen to. Another thing to consider is that before the digital age of music, many songs on an album back in the early 80's (not ALL) existed simply to "fill out" an album. I can remember being disappointed by several album purchases in my youth where there were 2, maybe only 3 of songs of any real quality. There were exceptions to this of course, (like Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" album or Micheal Jackson's "Off The Wall" album) but back then, these were the exception, not the rule. Now that the digital age has hit, more artists seem to be churning out albums with much more quality content. So yes, these days it might be a bigger mistake to cherry pick if you haven't done your homework. Still, I wouldn't categorize ALL Cherry Pickers as some preteen listener with a reckless regard for their collection.

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 07:28:16 BDT
Peter Lanky says:
CatKen; I did say 'frequently' as opposed to 'all'.

I also stick by by view that there are very many people around who buy to what the media tells them they ought to like, the best example being people planning to buy the X Factor winner before they even know who it is, or ignoring a song/album when it's first released but rushing to buy it later because it suddenly becomes trendy.

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 18:05:06 BDT
I have a horrible feeling you might be right Peter, its depressing I agree - honestly I don't - last downloads I did were cherry picking from Durutti Colum - as I lie the ambient guitar stuff but am less keen on the songs.....and noone told me to.
Modern life is -I am afraid _ a bit grim

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 01:55:23 BDT
Peter- I don't disagree with you. It's extremely more rewarding to find a hidden gem among your collection for yourself, ...a song that speaks to you, without ever hearing it on the radio or hearing a rehashed karaoke version on American Idol. My warning had more to do with the condemnation of frequent "Cherry Pickers" for the sins of a few. There are very different motives for doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012 13:27:55 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
I tend to fill up my ipod nano with those very tracks in my collection that I rarely, if ever play and take them on holiday with me. Apart from forever looking to see who the songs are by, it's great fun and I always come back with some new future classics.
Never going to happen with cherry picked downloads.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:35:14 BDT
cherries are subjective : noone can pick your cherries for you -

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2012 21:30:12 BDT
I agree with what you have said in the 70's and 80's artists quite often wrote 2 or 3 killer tracks and kicked back and didn't try for the rest of their album, lots didn't but not enough and cherry pickers are teaching them that in this day and age you can't get away with it. I always listen to all samples of a collection and if I like enough songs to make the purchase of the album I purchase the whole thing and yes sometimes the other tracks grow on you, but who has time to listen to albums over and over for a track to grow on them these days, it's sad I know but true, for me at least. This sound like a warning to enjoy listening to whole albums before you lose the chance to catch growers lol

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 22:30:18 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
We all still have time to listen to whole albums and let them grow on you. We share the same time, although it might only play the forth dimension in timespace continuum.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2012 08:33:08 BDT
Goff,Cambs says:
Any Steely Dan ...

Posted on 11 Jun 2012 12:08:04 BDT
M. Watkins says:
I can quite happily say that I cherry-pick songs frequently, seen as I usually have next-to-no idea about the artist whatsoever. If a song speaks to me, or if it sounds great, I will probably purchase it on its own, as I have no idea what the rest of the album(s) are like. I do buy albums, but not often. If I see a band live and enjoy their music, or I find myself listening to two or three songs by the same artist that I enjoy, I will buy the album to see what it's like. But most of my music is picked from everywhere. Aside from rap. I hate most of the rap I have heard. But let's not get into that right now.
Cherry picking helps because a lot of the music I hear that has come out recently, I don't like. The same artist that touches my emotions in one song might completely miss them in the next. I don't need to know the names of most of the artists I listen to. I have next to no current music general knowledge. If I like a song, I listen to it, I find it on youtube, I buy it. It's simple. It may mean I miss out on a lot, but I have a decent sized music library which I just have on random nearly all the time, as almost all the songs I have I am still into.
So, if you don'thave any current favorites, or are looking for something new with a good chance of liking, by all means, get the album. But if you are happy grabbing a song now and then from a wide range of artists, cherry-picking does work, if you know what you are looking for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the mp3 discussion forum (370 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  mp3 discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  21 Feb 2009
Latest post:  11 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions