Customer Discussions > mp3 discussion forum

Directing to US site

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Posted on 18 Nov 2013 18:02:35 GMT
I had the same issue of being redirected to amazon.com when accessing cloud player. I would then get blocked by a billing information modal asking me to enter card details. There is no way past this point. Having read this entire forum I then contacted support.

Solution:
- Contact support by phone from this page ('contact us' button on right hand side): http://www.amazon.co.uk/help/cloudplayer
- Inform them about the issue and that you need to migrate your cloud player from the US to the UK.
- They will migrate your account while on the phone
- My UK cloud player was now working but my songs where not in the list. Support had to manually add my albums (mp3 and autorip eligible). Not a huge mission as I only had 5 albums, but for people with a big collection it could prove tedious. I had to search my order history and mention what albums I had purchased, then support added them manually one by one.

All sorted after a 20 minute phone call.

The issue is apparently caused when you sign up for cloud player on the US website before the UK.
I don't recall doing this, but I probably did when I first heard about the service when it launched in the US.

Regarding lost mp3 purchases while migrating -
I was informed that I could loose an album I purchased on the mp3 store if I migrated. However it was added manually by support and is in now my cloud player.

Hope this helps others out there with the same issue.

Posted on 29 Jan 2013 21:22:40 GMT
I'm really annoyed they have managed to charge me for music yet I can't open my cloud player as my address is not AmeRican ! this is ridiculous and I have spent a lot of money on books so I wouldn't want my account to be switched if I lost it all. I can not understand why a kindle bought in the Uk and used in the Uk would sync with an American cloud player?

Posted on 11 Jan 2013 19:12:00 GMT
Sawyer says:
Hi Gashead.

Amazon customer service are capable of closing your US cloud drive/player and opening a new one on your UK account, if you manage to get hold of the right person. This will involve deleting EVERYTHING on your US drive (purchases included), but I believe it should be possible to have these restored with another email/call to customer service.

I wouldn't bet on AutoRip being launched for UK customers any time soon, but if you get the migration done, it should be possible.

Some people seem to have wangled themselves a free Premium upgrade in the process. It all depends on who you speak to.

Good luck!

Posted on 11 Jan 2013 09:11:23 GMT
Gashead says:
I have just chanced upon this discussion following the recent AutoRip announcement. My US-based cloud player now contains purchases from the UK MP3 store as well as a CSNY AutoRip eligible CD I bought yesterday evening from the US site. I don't mind them deleting my music but I certainly don't want to have to create a new UK account should AutoRip kick in for UK customers as I have bought hundreds of CDs since 1998. OK ramble over, is there any further progress on this issue? I'm on my second customer support email trying to upgrade my Cloud Player to Premium!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Dec 2012 21:36:29 GMT
kenpat says:
It's like online storage, where Amazon store your Kindle books or music downloads. You can play your Amazon MP3s from the cloud or download your purchases from it onto your KF. Some people seem to have issues with it but so far the one problem I had was fixed in 2 days. In most instances Google is your friend for info. Hope that helps.

Posted on 25 Dec 2012 17:39:27 GMT
katy says:
what is the cloud?? i dont understand it all! i got a kindle hd fire today and al struggling a bit with the jargon!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 13:13:22 GMT
I contacted Cloud Player support in the UK, who replied with the same brush-off as before. Then I clicked the "Did I solve your problem? > If no, please click here:" link and said that the solution was unsatisfactory, referencing this thread where people claimed to have been moved, and telling them that there was nothing in the US cloud player I wanted to keep.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2012 22:42:17 GMT
S McC says:
Who did you contact, was it customer care in us or the UK? I am getting no where with the UK customer care.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Posted on 9 Dec 2012 21:10:52 GMT
I asked them to "move my cloud" to the UK and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing they did it. At first all my very recent purchases (the only ones which were showing up) disappeared. Then about a week later all purchases, including older ones, started reappearing.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2012 19:07:55 GMT
Unfortunately weeks have turned into months I tried today (9th December) and still not working. Would have expected better from Amazon

Posted on 26 Nov 2012 22:35:53 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Nov 2012 22:36:12 GMT]

Posted on 26 Nov 2012 22:03:46 GMT
Looks like I have progress too, finally. Noticed that I had none of my previous purchases imported yet and I read M. Hamilton's comment above about how they are now doing migrations. So I decided to send them an email about it. They said they would get back to me by today. Over the weekend, my past purchases magically appeared and then I got a phone call from them today saying that I should back up all my music because it will likely be deleted when they migrate it over which he will action tonight.

Posted on 26 Nov 2012 16:19:53 GMT
After The Psychadelic Goths post above I logged in to check and found several albums that I had previously purchased suddenly on there, although it's by no means all of them, it's a good sign.

Posted on 26 Nov 2012 14:58:45 GMT
Happy with casual music listening here, it just doesn't feel right to recompress things is all (I'm the same with photos) :)

Just had an email from one of the support bods saying he's still working on it. Hopefully he doesn't go blindly deleting the account again as I've just got everything uploaded and working perfectly after 2 days of effort. Of course, I can't just email back to say "it's done now! Don't worry about it!" - that would be too easy - best I could do was get onto the chat system and ask if they could close the case... and then he started opening ANOTHER support case... argh. Told him to forget it and will just hope things stay as they are (working!)
Communication could use a bit of work on their end.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 17:58:18 GMT
Well something is happening. I have been directed to the us site all this time and haven't complained so far, waiting to see if they sorted it like they said they would in that email they sent to us 'affectees'. Today I logged on through the cloud player shortcut the installer placed on my desktop, and about 10 of my previous album purchases have suddenly appeared. Hope this continues. I have spent hundreds with them on mp3s so am not prepared to pay for premium and upload them again when other people will get their past purchases stored for free. I need all my amazon purchases there, before I see if I need a subscription. Keeping my eye on it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 21:25:25 GMT
Pretty calm over here lakesgeek! Perhaps I should've added a smiley- because I certainly wasn't raging or yelling. Sorry you took it that way.
The bit about getting a hifi bit was serious advice...you won't regret it.

: )

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 20:41:27 GMT
Wow, calm yourself. It's exaggeration, but it's also my personal opinion. Perhaps an "IMO" was required, but considering this is a simple comment from a randomer on the internet and not professional journalism for a review magazine, I don't think it's really necessary that you should be raging at me and taking it quite so seriously. Besides, if you prefer GM, good for you. Go forth, and use it.

I'm well aware that AAC is lossy as well and that there's no discernable difference between AAC and MP3 (or even FLAC unless you have particularly good hearing) and have no preference between either formats. But have been well trained over the years that doing a lossy compression on something that's already undergone it, multiplies the impact of it considerably. It's like taking a photocopy of a photocopy. It strikes me as really bad practice when I have perfectly usable files already. IMO, YMMV, if you don't mind that then enjoy the nice free service, and all other such disclaimers that may be required to prevent anyone yelling at me.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 19:49:57 GMT
Google Music is not "rubbish" and a sweeping statement like that isn't very helpful particularly when it comes to download/streaming services. I've used iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, 7digital, Samsung's MusicHub and now Google and all offer something slightly different for a wide spread of users. Google Music isn't a carefully manicured verbatim backup of your AAC/MP3/WAV/AIFF music collection so yes, some lossy-to-lossy conversion is going on. But all these services have cons. Google's system is a perfectly acceptable free solution for a mobile device: you cut your coat according to your cloth.

All this talk about transcoding is splitting hairs anyway. Public listening tests between AAC and MP3 have proven inconclusive, largely because it's simply a matter of taste and down to the individual's hearing ability.

Perhaps you've been in the Apple ecosystem for too long lakesgeek- because AAC is a "lossy" format also. So is CD, SACD, HDCD and dear old vinyl. If you care that much about quality then I suggest you do what I did and get yourself a decent hifi separates system, in a controlled environment and listen to some 192KHz studio master FLAC's:

They make both AAC and MP3 sound very much like "rubbish".

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 18:16:55 GMT
Oh wait, guess what! I just randomly checked and.... I'm now on .co.uk! Huzzah!!!
All the stuff I uploaded is gone which is fine, they told me it would be and I don't mind that. But it did find my previous purchase (I'd only made 1 while I was testing) and re-added it for me.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 18:14:26 GMT
Good luck!
Weekend now so I don't expect the conversion to be made til next week.

I also checked out Google Music and it's an option, but yeah they transcode AAC to MP3 which renders it useless for anyone moving from iTunes who cares about quality. I have yet to see a track that Scan & Match worked with despite them being available on their store. And you may only re-download your own music through the web browser twice - beyond that you must use their silly Music Manager software which won't let you download individual tracks, only the whole library. In short, it's rubbish.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 10:43:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Nov 2012 20:44:22 GMT
Sawyer says:
I was also considering Google Play Music as an alternative, but if it's true that they transcode anything other than MP3 (see the post by LakesGeek above), then for me that rules it out as an option. AAC transcoding to MP3 = no thanks, not even for a free service. It lessens its appeal as a streaming service, and even more so as a secondary backup.

I know they have a limited 'scan and match' service but much of my music isn't available in the Play Store to be matched to.

LakesGeek: I might try the same tack as you, if Amazon can confirm that my Amazon-purchased tracks will still be available. I don't mind losing the rest.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 09:30:16 GMT
Amazon (UK or USA- I don't even know which is which anymore!) promised a fix for this issue over 4 weeks ago. They never bothered to fix it or update me so I went with google music instead. It's free, fast (uploading your own MP3 collection) and it works with both an Android phone and an iMac. If you purchase an album through the Playstore, you can Google+ your friends a free listen of the entire album which is pretty neat! The interface on the phone version isn't as slick looking as the Amazon one but at least it actually works as expected, and I have 20k of my collection everywhere I have a connection.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 01:25:57 GMT
Mr Crazy and Other Tales

I need to find England....;)

Posted on 22 Nov 2012 15:30:36 GMT
Latest is I've confirmed with them that it's okay to delete the files and now the technical team will get back to me with further details in the next 2-3 working days. Let's hope it's not back to square 1 :)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 13:51:43 GMT
I only have existing music. Used to use iTunes before deciding to free myself from the Apple ecosystem. So it's not a concern to me, I'll just re-upload it.

Presumably you can download all your tracks for backup if you have purchased ones, I sure hope so?

There's an instant premium subscription in it for them though if they can sort it. Google's equivalent is free but it transcodes everything to MP3 (a lossy process), so it's far for ideal for migrations from iTunes which is mostly M4A.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the mp3 discussion forum (390 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  mp3 discussion forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  18 Sep 2012
Latest post:  18 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions