Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors discussion forum

Indie authors - recommend me some books!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 527 posts in this discussion
Posted on 25 Apr 2013 22:31:03 BDT
mountainmama says:
✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭

Political intrigue: M.O.D.. Where would you draw the line between right and wrong? (check out the YouTube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It9YGWR8W54)

Time travel adventure: Chronicles of Time: Book 1. Would you be able to save the world? (trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBxe1CUwB4&feature=channel&list=UL)

Adventure: Novel Ideas. When the sun sets on a young girl's life, she takes fate into her own hands. (trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8gf1oVYZAI&list=ULjyBxe1CUwB4)

Happy reading. ☼ ☼ ☼

✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted on 26 Apr 2013 11:27:10 BDT
Carol Arnall says:
The Other Place
Chrissie James is a troubled soul: with family problems, unexplained phobias and a stalker to contend with, she seeks help with a hypnotherapist. Whilst in therapy, Chrissie discovers she has led a past life.
Will living a previous life help Chrissie to discover the truth of what caused her fears and phobias, and will she find out who is stalking her?
The Other Place is a paranormal mystery. Its many twists and turns will keep you guessing to the very end.

A Haunted Past Life (Jen's Story)
Jen's unhappy life changes forever when she finds herself leading a past life in the 1960s.
She is astonished to discover she is happily married, with a husband and an eight year old daughter.
Jen is suddenly torn from her only daughter and taken back to 1965. Could this be a past life? Is she dreaming?
Trapped and confused, Jen tries to unravel her tormented emotions with newly discovered relationships, living and dead.
Jen is haunted by these two lives but has her spirit guides to reassure her. She needs to make an important decision - Should she stay or should Jen find her way back home again? But how can she possibly leave if she has fallen in love?

Dancing With Spirits
A novel of love and time travel that spans the centuries.

Posted on 26 Apr 2013 11:35:19 BDT
Bugtown is FREE today!

Posted on 26 Apr 2013 15:37:03 BDT
The dark side of Afghanistan you didn't know about.
The Dancing Boy
When Ex-soldier Tom Gillet discovered that the kid who saved his life from an IED had been sold into sex slavery as a dancing boy, he returned to Afghanistan to search for him. Captured by Al Qaeda he is taken to the Tora Bora caves on the Afghan/Pakistan border. Under threat of death by beheading he is forced to appear on video discrediting the coalition. Then a sudden twist triggers off a startling sequence of events.

Greed is good.
All In
Driven by the lure of big money Carla uses her charms and skill at the poker table. Trouble is, she doesn't like to lose, and those who posed a threat meet an untimely death. But what she didn't know was that her mentor, Fat Yang, has something far more dangerous than a game of cards in mind for her.

A 5* thriller full of twists and turns that hits the ground running and doesn't let up.
Hidden In Plain View
Gabriel Horn loved to kill, to watch the light slip from his victim's eyes. It felt like a lovers kiss, sweet and satisfying in its embrace.
He thought Sir Adrian Gold was joking when he offered him 40,000 to kill the Prime Minister and his deputy.
"Cost you one million pounds," he laughed.
Sir Adrian didn't hesitate. "Agreed."
Horn stared at him. He was deadly serious.

Posted on 1 May 2013 13:13:40 BDT
Hi all,

The Rattler

`Read all about it! `Manor Murderer' strikes again!'

On March 13th 1896, a renowned artist, Charles St Claire, wouldn't have believed that a simple family portrait of his nephew would lead to death and destruction. The press soon dub the killings as the `Manor Murders'. A select few believe there is a curse, which hangs over Charles's brush strokes. However, when a former employee is arrested, and later hanged for being the `Manor Murderer', it's assumed the killings had stopped.

Posted on 1 May 2013 14:37:57 BDT
If you like fantasy and adventure stories, please try Small Vampires: Picus the Thief

5 stars on Amazon - winner of the Writer's News Indie Book of the Year Award - longlisted for British Fantasy Society Awards

"Great escapism, made a long train journey go a lot quicker! Very interesting and imaginative story and characters. Looking forward to the next installment." 5 stars

"Fantastic! The brilliantly imaginative world of Picus, I had no idea that small vampires were so capable and funny. It's unusual for me to laugh out loud whilst reading but got used to it from half way through the intro all the way to the end - v much looking forward to the next episode..." 5 stars

"It's not often you take a chance on a book and get so richly rewarded. Picus The Thief has all the hallmarks of a superbly crafted and well told story. This book is highly original, beautifully imaginative and utterly engaging.
It is no mean feat that the author has managed to create a series of interconnected worlds, a loveable central character, as well as a host of other characters that all have genuine depth. Add an intriguing and often surprising story line, an easy going and humorous narrative, and you have this little gem of a book." 5 stars

"Entertaining and funny from a gentleman with clearly a vivid imagination and too much time on his hands.
i would recommend to adults and teenagers alike!" 5 stars

" really loved this book as it's a great fantasy adventure (just the sort of thing I am into at the moment) but it doesn't take itself too seriously. Good escapism.Picus the Thief (Small Vampires)" 5 stars

Picus has a lot of powerful enemies. His aristocratic parents have disowned him for supposedly being a coward; the violent vampire, Raben, is after him to exact revenge for theft; the faie, Queen Mab (aka the Tooth Fairy), wants his teeth; and the vampire Eltern want him to steal the sacred sword of Exkylipyr for them or else lock him up in a dungeon. In the course of avoiding Raben and Mab, he goes to Angleland, befriends the humans and the witch Ambrosias and manages to win (not steal) the sword he was sent to pinch. But on his return he faces the ultimate test, to keep Exkylipyr from his family and thereby prevent her from starting a civil war amongst the vampires. Small Vampires is essentially a grail quest story set amongst vampires and others in the Hidden Kingdom. After a period of several millennia, this furtive world is beginning to clash with the human world.

Volume two, Mousch the Crooked: No. 2: Small Vampires Series, out soon!
www.smallvampires.com

OR if you're looking for children's books with a bit of mystery and adventure, you can try my Creake Castle series, all in paperback and Kindle format -

The Pepper King (Creake Castle)

Deep below Creake Castle there lies a secret...

A ghost story with hidden tunnels to boot. Can Fred solve the mystery of the Pepper King in time to save Creake Castle from being bulldozed?

This is an adventure story about a remarkable boy, Fred Longshanks, who lives in Creake Castle with his parents and several unruly hedgehogs.

Tobias Brown Inventor Esquire (Creake Castle)

Adventure and magic: Mad inventors, shark submarines and England's deepest lake under Creake Castle. Fred Longshanks is invited to tea in the village by Tobias Brown, Inventor Esquire. Before he knows it, he has embarked on an insane journey to get to the bottom of England's deepest lake in the grounds of his parents home in Creake Castle. What they discover on the journey changes both their lives for ever.

Miles Byfar (Creake Castle)

Miles, who lives with his grandparents and does not get to see his parents much, finds out his computer does things that it really shouldn't. Transported to Lapland, he discovers that he's forgotten his slippers and that someone has stolen the Christmas Spirit. Miles has to steal it back, and in doing so, he goes on an exciting, sometimes terrifying journey that takes him from England to the perfect beaches of the West Indies, New York in a snowstorm and the Himalayas.

I've also written a YA ghost story, set in WW1 Angel of Mons:

Ben's father is in prison and his mum, a former child genius, is barely hanging on to her sanity.

When Ben and his classmates are nearly killed in a coach crash in Belgium, Ben starts to experience flashbacks: visitations to the brutal start of World War 1 and the uncertain world of Corporal Sam Lyle.

Is Ben going mad too, like his mum, or is there another reason why he finds himself in a war zone in 1914? Who is the spectral figure that haunts both the boy and the soldier? Do angels exist?

Alternatively, I've got two picture books for younger children, Bad Boris and Bullets and Bones, which have illustrations by Kate Shannon, and a book of illustrated poems Nervus Rex and other Rhymes.

Please take a look at my author page for more.

Thank you for reading!

Robin Bennett

Posted on 1 May 2013 14:49:22 BDT
A great recommendation for today!

--Amazon Promotion puts both my books - The Back Road and Only the Innocent on special offer at just 99p!

THE BACK ROAD - "The quietest places... hide the darkest secrets" - with over 60 Five Star reviews - reached number 2 in the Kindle Store after less than one month

ONLY THE INNOCENT - "Women are rarely cold-blooded murderers" - over 300 reviews, and was the 2nd highest selling self-published title on Amazon in 2012

I'd love you to give them a try and let me know what you think.

Posted on 12 May 2013 21:34:41 BDT
Minijax says:
If you are looking for a holiday read, why not try my genealogical novel, Tainted Tree? It's 367 pages in print - that's 115,000 words; under 2 for the Kindle; with 32 reviews, average 4.5 stars.

When Addie Russell inherits a house in Surrey, it gives her a once in a lifetime opportunity to find out about her English family. Addie, adopted at birth in Boston, knows very little about her mother, who died just after her birth, and nothing about her father. However, she knows that her grandparents wanted nothing to do with her. She is soon faced with shocking information about her family, and her emotions reach the depths and the heights at her discoveries.

Set in Guildford and the West Country in 1991, Addie's research goes back to the early part of the century. A bit of history, mystery and romance in one package.

Posted on 19 May 2013 18:42:29 BDT
I got my first review and it was five star one. To celebrate I am offering it for free on May 20th and May 21st in the hopes of maybe getting another one.

Daughter of the Oceans

Have fun reading.

Posted on 19 May 2013 19:53:01 BDT
ANN SELF says:
Stay in your favorite chair and travel from New England to Florida and The Bahamas. High adventure and suspense that starts at Springhill Estate in Massachusetts. Showhorses, beautiful people and just a whisper of spectral in this ROMANTIC THRILLER series of three large ebooks. Visit the Estate if you dare, and mingle with a hodgepodge of personalities; some not so nice and some not so visible.

They're waiting for you...

ELLIOT WHITBECK: `Grand Poobah' keeping tabs on his 2,000 acre estate; supreme nitpicker and bully of employees.
CECILY WHITBECK: Silver-haired and tanned to leather. Runs the showhorse operation with an iron fist.
LUCINDA WHITBECK: Wealthy, blonde and vicious, still beautiful despite avoiding most food groups. Always eager to kick up a little trouble to amuse herself.
JANE HUSTED: Show rider and coach, training high-dollar show horses and demanding riders; newly cognizant of a talent for ESP that's starting to connect her to things she'd rather ignore. A childhood on welfare makes her an easy target for Lucinda. To further complicate life she's blindsided when a man from her past appears on the scene.
DYLAN RIPLEY: Head stable boy, fresh out of high school. Handsome, wisecracking, full of jokes and mischief. Secretly refers to Lucinda as `Stinkerbell'.
OWEN FLINT: A legend in his own mind. Narcissistic and bad tempered, spooking horses and women alike, strutting around in breeches and long boots.
LARS WALLENBERG: Coach from the Spanish Riding School in Austria; European classy and smooth, but good natured and easy to get along with.
BRIAN CANADAY: Wealthy investor in the Estate's imported sport horses; a new face around the barn.
SAM NOONE: Former jockey, now stable manager. He watches the soap opera unfold around him and begins to sense nasty vibes creeping in the shadows of the monster barn, making hair stand straight off the back of his neck.
Something or someone was not quite right...

SOMETHING MOST DEADLY , SOMETHING VERY GHOSTLY , and SOMETHING MOST EVIL . Clean, long-term romance.

Posted on 19 May 2013 20:25:27 BDT
Roger Cave says:
Ten books, one very British hero, and each one available for 1.03.

Join Fincham and his team as they are dispatched on numerous dangerous missions.

It's fast plots, fast cars, guns and adventure all the way.

The Barcza Gambit (The Alec Fincham Novels)
Sicilian Defence (Alec Fincham #2)
White King (Alec Fincham #3)
Zugzwang (Alec Fincham #4)
Octopus Knight (Alec Fincham #5)
Medusa Defence (Alec Fincham #6)
Deep Blue (Alec Fincham #7)
Grand Prix Variation (Alec Fincham #8)
Queen's Knight (Alec Fincham #9)
Snake Variation (Alec Fincham #10)

Each book description contains a word count to indicate how long each book is.

Posted on 20 May 2013 07:42:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2013 09:15:40 BDT
This is an excellent book, artfully crafted with language to keep you coming back for more. Riveting. I recommend this book highly.
Duncan McDonnell speaking of the professionally edited second edition of the best-selling
HIDING THE ELEPHANT (Simon Grant Mysteries) in Kindle format

Also available in paperback at:
Hiding the Elephant: The first Simon Grant Mystery (Simon Grant Mysteries)

Enjoy!

Posted on 20 May 2013 14:32:22 BDT
Tomorrow Blossoms

When Kate's husband, Ward, locates the son she put up for adoption as an unwed teen, she's understandably wary. What if he looks like his father instead of Ward?

The boy, now a man, is also wary. Who are these people who suddenly want him to be a part of their lives? Where were they when he was growing up, when he needed to feel a part of something bigger? After meeting each other, everyone's fears dissipate.

When Ward passes away unexpectedly, Kate is devastated but thankful he never knew the truth. Facing the rest of her life alone, she returns to work in the company he founded. She's still coming to grips with life as a single when she learns her son was adopted into the family of Jesse, the boy who turned her away as a pregnant teen. Now, she must deal with her feelings of anger and betrayal while also keeping her son and daughters from learning the truth.

Tomorrow Blossoms

"Having bought this book on the strength of reading Serendipity House I expected it to be a good read. I was not disappointed. It was that and more. Lovely read. I shall be happy to read all other books by this author."

Posted on 20 May 2013 17:31:28 BDT
I. Black says:
Noontide Owls The occupying army leaves, the city is free, but its inhabitants turn on one another. It is left to 14-year old Maara to try to bring peace, with the aid of a talking book, two mysterious trumpeters, a huge bird and a troop of cat-faced camels.

Posted on 20 May 2013 18:51:51 BDT
Jim Webster says:
The Flames of the City
A third book set in the acclaimed 'Land of the Three Seas' background.

To quote an Amazon Top 500 reviewer
This is Jim Webster's third book and though it doesn't carry on from the previous two it is set in the same fantasy world. We follow a young man named Freelor as he takes on a job to cover a winter time when he's unable to get home, where he is due to marry. There are other sub-plots in this story and if you have read his earlier books, you will recognise the name of the city which falls and is destroyed by fire. One of the subplots concerns a shaman's amulet worn by Freelor, which grows hot in the presence of the evil god Hkada whose followers are able to summon him. There are exciting battles and some serious temple raiding resulting in a possession by the god Hkada.

The story is a quest tale with Freelor leaving his usual haunts to undertake a journey to a temple where his friend, the academic Tolshin, hopes to find information about Hkada. It's a fantasy classic and I particularly like some of Jim Webster's phrases, for example, the merchant's expression, "I keep my grandmother freshly washed and presentable, against the possibility of impulse buyers." And the exchange between the soldier and his superior, "Just got my boots off for the first time for three days." "Exotic pleasures of the flesh are reserved for officers. Get your boots fastened and get over here!"

A really good read!

Posted on 22 May 2013 22:44:27 BDT
Here are two short books about pivotal episodes in American history. Why shouldn't you know more aboujt American history than most Americans?

America's Unknown Wars includes two wars forgotten today, that were fought under the British flag! Have we learned their lessons yet?

Maryland In The Civil War, the bestselling account of this critical border state, shows how close it was that Maryland might have joined the South ... and decided the fate of the American Civil War then and there! Learn about the most famous battles, and the controversy still surrounding the assassin (and famous actor), John Wilkes Booth!

By the way, would you believe a story that said that Booth saved Lincoln? It happens to be true, but the Booth was Edwin Booth (the brother of the assassin) and the Lincoln was Robert Lincoln, the President's son. Truth really is far stranger than fiction!

Posted on 25 May 2013 23:27:02 BDT
Minijax says:
If you are looking for a holiday weekend read, why not try my genealogical novel, Tainted Tree? It's 367 pages in print - that's 115,000 words; under 2 for the Kindle; with 32 reviews, average 4.5 stars.

When Addie Russell inherits a house in Surrey, it gives her a once in a lifetime opportunity to find out about her English family. Addie, adopted at birth in Boston, knows very little about her mother, who died just after her birth, and nothing about her father. However, she knows that her grandparents wanted nothing to do with her. She is soon faced with shocking information about her family, and her emotions reach the depths and the heights at her discoveries.

Set in Guildford and the West Country in 1991, Addie's research goes back to the early part of the century. A bit of history, mystery and romance in one package.

Posted on 26 May 2013 05:26:20 BDT
Sheila says:
I'm excited to announce that Las Vegas - the first novella of The Girls Series - is at the formatter. Las Vegas brings us Adeline, Anna and Carolyn - three women set on making their next few years more fun than the last few.

Tea and Honey (book nine), is in the hands of the editor - if you haven't started The Tea Series yet -- now would be a great time to start. =)

The characters in The Tea Series are people you'd like to know and part of a family that welcomes you with open arms. More than 150,000 copies of the books in this series have been sold. You will find that each book in the series is a fast and fun read. Each installment of the series is a hybrid of the traditional novel and the serial novel (each is a full-length novel and leads directly into the next installment - the books are best when read in order.)

Hot Tea (First book in The Tea Series)
Sweet Tea (Second book in The Tea Series)
Iced Tea (Third Book in the Tea Series)
Green Tea (Fourth Book in the Tea Series)
Peppermint Tea (Fifth Book in the Tea Series)
Tea to Go (Sixth Book in the Tea Series)
Summer Tea (Seventh Book in the Tea Series)
Traditional Tea (Eighth Book in the Tea Series)

You can also get them bundled for even more savings. The First Four - The Tea Series (The Tea Series - Bundles) -- or -- The Tea Series - Books Five through Eight (The Tea Series - Bundles)

I hope you will give them a try.

Sheila

Posted on 26 May 2013 10:07:55 BDT
Fiat Driver says:
Why not try "The Mind Palace" who have some gems already picked out for supporters of indie writers: http://peduaor.wix.com/themindpalace#!the-indie-pub/c1b8e

Mervyn.

Posted on 26 May 2013 10:20:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2013 10:21:33 BDT
Indie Bites
Fourteen diverse tales that showcase the hidden talent bubbling away in the 'indie' scene. Featuring psychotic arsonists, insufferable bureaucracy, werewolves, porn stars and child murdering skeletons (amongst other things), this book really does contain something for everyone!

Posted on 26 May 2013 16:26:21 BDT
ANN SELF says:
ROMANTIC MYSTERY/THRILLER series of three large Kindles. Heart-pounding suspense DEAD ahead.

Springhill Estate in New England. Stone mansion, monster gothic barn, high-dollar showhorses and beautiful people. Visit if you dare.

Sam was a former jockey, fit and strong, but the middle was spreading. Hard to stop it when he was no longer burning up calories clinging to the back of a thousand-pound racehorse. Still, the job as barn manager on Springhill Estate was easier and more of a soap opera than even the backstretch at Churchill Downs.
Rich women prancing around on showhorses, attended to by arrogant trainers. Not to mention his employers the wealthy Whitbeck family residing in the estate's mansion. Lucky thing Elliot Whitbeck didn't show up at the barn too often or he'd have to quit. His fellow working-stiffs were more likeable.
Dylan, the head stable boy, chunk of keys hanging with a death-grip on baggy pants, workboots unlaced and flapping. Wisecracking, witty observer of people and funny to a fault.
Jane Husted, show-rider and coach. Rich in talent, but poor as a churchmouse; usually training someone else's horse as these things go, her own mount being an off-brand unlikely to carry her into the upper echelons of success. A former recipient of `Public Assistance', she was an easy target for Springhill's elite snobs
Then there was Lars Wallenberg, coach extraordinaire from the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. European classy and smooth, but easy to get along with.
Owen Flint was another matter. Narcissistic and bad tempered, he spooked horses and women alike; a legend in his own mind, strutting around in long glossy boots.
Lucinda Whitbeck. Rich, beautiful and spoiled with a collection personality faults rivaling Owen's. Big surprise they couldn't stand each other.
Brian Canaday, investor in the estate's imported European sport horses. Jane had looked stunned when he first showed up, and was acting strange and jumpy ever since. What was up with that? The whole atmosphere in the monster barn was a little off lately, sort of unsettled. Sam sensed an eeriness creeping around in the shadows that raised hair straight off the back of his neck.
Something was really off...

SOMETHING MOST DEADLY , SOMETHING VERY GHOSTLY , and SOMETHING MOST EVIL . Clean, long-term romance.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2013 16:41:31 BDT
Atlantic City Nazi is Free 26 and 27 May on Kindle; it's a 1930's romantic spy thriller with a surprise ending.

Posted on 26 May 2013 23:38:54 BDT
I have several to recommend by Indie Authors...

The Selkie Spell (Seal Island Trilogy, Book 1)

Second Chances

Hybrid (The Evolution Trilogy) - this is mine!

If you want more let me know
Vanessa

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2013 05:43:31 BDT
✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭

On sale!

Do you enjoy thrillers on the end-times in Bible Prophecy? You might enjoy SCARS.

SCARS catapults you into a mesmerizing thriller of the end times in
this heart-wrenching story of a young girl who struggles to survive as
earth shattering events lead up to the Apocalypse as foretold in the Bible.

SCARS: An Amazing End-Times Prophecy Novel AVAILABLE in Kindle, paperback and in audiobook

✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭ ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted on 27 May 2013 18:14:13 BDT
The Broken Horizon Please have a look. Thirteen 5* reviews can't be bad. Chrissie Reid recieves a letter from her husband she believes she killed 14 years previously.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  151
Total posts:  527
Initial post:  15 Nov 2012
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions