Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 535 posts in this discussion
Posted on 26 Jul 2012 22:14:54 BDT
Gecko129 says:
Shadowland

We grow up with the Legend of King Arthur ... But where did he come from? Who was Merlin? What part did the Druids play in bringing Arthur to his round table? This is the story that came before, when Britain was just a Shadowland.

Shadowland  is a story of historical fantasy set in Dark Ages Britain.

`I have lived more years than I can remember, probably more than the sum of all your years combined. Kings have called me friend and brigands have sworn to burn the flesh from my bones even if they have to search all seven halls of the shadowland to find me.'

On the night of midwinter's eve, a storyteller takes his listeners back to the Dark ages and a tale from his youth.

Deserted by its Roman masters, Britain has been invaded by the Saxons at the invitation of Vortigern, traitorous leader of the Britons. Now, as the tribes unite to reclaim their land, one man must rise to lead them and become their true and only king.
Shadowland

Posted on 30 Jul 2012 15:15:07 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hello again everyone
Thanks for posting here.
Happy writing and reading ;-)

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 09:44:08 BDT
Somewhere between fantasy and YA... urban fantasy with a harder, real edge would probably be more accurate.

But it's on offer FREE today and tomorrow... Blind School (Mystery, fantasy thriller (Urban fantasy, YA))

None can see like the Blind...

Ryan Lorimar and Jessica Werner have a special gift: they can see `fallen angel' apparitions within other people. But as the fallen angels in turn know that they've been `viewed', it's a gift that will get him killed. They need protection. They need to enter `Blind School'.

Their only hope is Ellis Kendell and his team of agents. Day in, day out, Kendell's team trawl through street-cam images from across the nation to pick up that tell-tale eye light-refraction of `viewers'. Can Kendell's team get to the viewers before the fallen angels and get them to safety in `Blind School'? But there's also an added agenda: Kendell's department want the `viewers' help in tracking down more `fallen angels'.

Yet is Kendell deluding himself? Setting this small group of teens against a legion fifty-times their number of the most cunning and vicious murderers and criminal masterminds the nation has to offer - is he simply throwing them to the wolves? Fated to watch them one-by-one die. The odds are against them.

Blind School reviews:
'An adrenalin-rush, one day read. If you've ever wondered what might make mass-murderers and megalomaniacs tick, now you know. Never has the ongoing fight between good and evil been so much fun, or so frighteningly real.'
- Wendy Mellor, Simply Scripts.

`Harry Potter with attitude. Plumbs into the teen readership that has made Harry Potter and Twilight so popular, but with a wry slant that would also make it appeal to adults. Has `kidult' written all over it.'
- Tom McIntyre, Xanadu Productions.

John Matthews reviews:
`Matthews maintains the suspense... an engrossing odyssey into the seamy side of a world that is so near, yet sometimes seems so far. Compulsive reading.'
- The Times

'One of the most compelling novels I've read... an ambitious and big novel which will keep you enthralled to its last page.'
- Cork Examiner

'A classy, well-written and unusual thriller.'
- Yorkshire Post

'Matthews delivers one of the best debut thrillers in years, brave, ambitious and remorselessly entertaining. Past Imperfect is a stormer.'
- Dublin Evening Herald

'Move over Grisham, your reign is over! Reminiscent of vintage Grisham, but Matthews has his own distinctive style. Strong, believable characters and a plot that grips from page one and won't let go, twisting and turning its way towards a nail-biting climax - they don't come much better than this. One of the best and most memorable thrillers I've read in years. A winner all the way.'
- Bob Burke. Mystery Readers International.

Distinctively written... all the forceful energy of the best thrillers.
- Kirkus UK.

`A clever premise for an epic page-turner written with wit, compassion (and) highly evolved characters.
- Daily Telegraph.

`... A chilling and thrilling novel, one in which real people start to wonder if they are insane, and have to come to terms with a terrifying reality that threatens their own life. Mesmerising.
- Books Monthly

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 13:21:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2012 13:21:28 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hello again, John
Thanks for posting here.
Hope Blind School is doing well ;-)

Posted on 8 Aug 2012 16:53:46 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hello again, everyone
Writers of Young Adult Fiction, please promote your work here.

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 17:26:14 BDT
Gecko129 says:
A great summer YA read!

Shadowland

We grow up with the Legend of King Arthur ... But where did he come from? Who was Merlin? What part did the Druids play in bringing Arthur to his round table? This is the story that came before, when Britain was just a Shadowland.

Shadowland  is a story of historical fantasy set in Dark Ages Britain.

`I have lived more years than I can remember, probably more than the sum of all your years combined. Kings have called me friend and brigands have sworn to burn the flesh from my bones even if they have to search all seven halls of the shadowland to find me.'

On the night of midwinter's eve, a storyteller takes his listeners back to the Dark ages and a tale from his youth.

Deserted by its Roman masters, Britain has been invaded by the Saxons at the invitation of Vortigern, traitorous leader of the Britons. Now, as the tribes unite to reclaim their land, one man must rise to lead them and become their true and only king.
Shadowland

Shadowland
The ultimate buddy road trip as two boys set out on a journey pursued by a Saxon warrior and change the course of a nation.
The year is 432AD and this is dark ages Britain.

Professionally edited with great reviews.
Welcome to the Shadowland

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 17:30:52 BDT
Roger Weston says:
Just released: Fatal Return
When an eccentric billionaire hires Jake Sands, a maritime history professor, to give a
farewell speech for the Queen Mary's last voyage, in Long Beach, California, Jake readily
accepts the offer, not knowing he will be wrapped up in a fatal plot for revenge that
began with a disaster five times more deadly than the Titanic.

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 18:46:10 BDT
Kit's Reward, by Brenda Woodford, for people who like a historical novel. (or people who don't yet know they like historical) 165 pages.
An adventure of a 12 year old girl who lives on a barge in 1920.
Enjoyed by adults too.

Posted on 13 Aug 2012 10:58:12 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hi Gecko, hi Roger
Thanks for posting.
Hope the books are doing well ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2012 11:09:01 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hello Brenda
Thanks for posting ;-)
You can make it even easier for readers to find your book by turning its title into an active link. Just use the 'Insert a product link' button, like this:
Best of luck with Kit's Reward

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 00:04:24 BDT
PR Pope says:
Queens of Antares: Bloodline returned (Bloodline trilogy) The first volume of my Queens of Antares: Bloodline trilogy is available on Kindle and in paperback.

It's suitable for anyone from the age of 10 to 100. The heroes are three siblings, Caroline, Alex and Emily Wright; Emily, the oldest, is the best character and the real heroine, although her sister Caroline, the youngest, probably thinks that she is the heroine. Their brother, Alex, meanwhile is fed up that the girls get all the best rôles! Anyway, what is the story about? Read on...

What would you do if you found out your dotty old Gran wasn't from Surrey after all, but from a planet six hundred light years away across the galaxy? Not only that but she's really an exiled Princess from a Royal family that has been virtually wiped out by a tyrannical usurper. Would you believe it?
That's the question being asked by Caroline, Alex and Emily Wright, after moving in with Gran when their Father loses his job.

But you might find it easier to believe, if you were actually standing on that self-same planet looking into a sky with two suns.
That's the situation in which Caroline, Alex and Emily find themselves when they accidentally get transported across the galaxy.

Would you join the fight for freedom against the tyrant, if that was the only way to get back home to Earth?
Now you understand the dilemma facing Caroline, Alex and Emily.
What would you do?

"Already compared to CS Lewis and CJ Cherryh, PR Pope weaves an enchanting tale around three young people who are accidentally transported from their mundane lives to a new world, where they must find the strength to lead a revolution in order to make their way home. On the way they discover who they really are, where they belong and the enduring power of a bloodline."

Following on from what André said right at the start of this thread, you don't have to be young to enjoy YA titles - just young at heart ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2012 09:04:18 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hello again, PR
Thanks for posting here.
Best of luck with Queens of Antares ;-)

Posted on 20 Aug 2012 11:47:28 BDT
I. Black says:
Noontide Owls A Crossover Fantasy/parable - this review says it all:
`At one level a fantastical adventure story... at another about universal truths of the human condition; about general insights into the often fatal workings of both national and international politics.' (From 5-star review by Mr E)

Thanks for having enough faith in me to give my books a go. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Posted on 20 Aug 2012 22:07:22 BDT
Gecko129 says:
If you like YA but not just YA romance, then check out Shadowland
The ultimate buddy road trip as two boys set out on a journey pursued by a Saxon warrior and change the course of a nation.
The year is 432AD and this is dark ages Britain.

Professionally edited with great reviews.
Welcome to the Shadowland

Posted on 20 Aug 2012 22:52:35 BDT
Hi Alison, I'm still promoting this until the third in the series comes out at Halloween...

The Mystic Accountants (The Banned Underground)

A Broken Throne, a dwarf Blues band and an apprentice Dark Lord who's out for revenge, collide with Mad Monks and an off-white witch.
Another day, another gig. But this time the feedback has blown apart the Throne of the Mountain King, and the Banned Underground must find a replacement on pain of, well, pain. But the junior Dark Lord is out for revenge, if his SatNav doesn't defeat his efforts to follow the band. Grizelda, the off-white witch, is a bit busy with some Mad Monks whose attempt at World Domination is starting with Wales. Maybe Dai, the drunken dragon can help? Will the Tuatha stay out of the pub long enough to render assistance? If not, Jailhouse Rock looms for the Banned Underground...

Posted on 21 Aug 2012 12:01:03 BDT
Sarah Dalton says:
My young adult dystopia. Think Uglies with a Margaret Atwood twist.

The Blemished (Blemished Trilogy)

A beautiful world comes at a price...

In a world filled with stunning clones Mina Hart is Blemished. Her genes are worthless and that takes away her rights: her right to an Education, her right to a normal life and her right to have a child.

Mina keeps a dangerous secret which she never thought she could share until she meets Angela on her first day at St Jude's School. But their friendship is soon complicated by Angela's adoptive brother Daniel. Mina finds herself drawn to his mysterious powers and impulsive nature. Then there is the gorgeous clone Sebastian who Mina is forbidden from even speaking to...

The Blemished is a frightening take on a fractured future where the Genetic Enhancement Ministry have taken control of Britain. It will take you on a ride filled with adventure, romance and rebellion.

The Blemished is picking up a buzz on Goodreads and already getting 5 star reviews. Enjoy!

Posted on 21 Aug 2012 12:03:15 BDT
B Pankhurst says:
Hi Ali,

Brian, His Granddad and the Cup of Ages is available now in both paperback and as a Kindle download.

'When eleven-year-old Brian Pankhurst has to stay with his grandparents, he's not exactly enthusiastic. He barely knows them, after all, and they're a little strange. They're stranger than he realises, in fact. Very soon after he arrives at their ancient house, Brian starts to feel that something isn't right. Why has someone sent his granddad a completely blank letter? Why don't people who go in to the local bookshop ever seem to come out again? What does his granddad mean when he says Brian's father wasn't really an accountant? Then Brian wakes in the middle of the night and finds he's going to have to adjust to three things very quickly: magic is real, monsters are real, and he and his family are in terrible danger...'

For Young Adults of absolutely any age.

Posted on 22 Aug 2012 03:23:06 BDT
Tycho

In the year 2154, sixteen year old Tycho McGrath is an advanced genetics student at the prestigious John Brooke Academy in Tampa. Life seems fairly dull, until he accidentally discovers that in less than a week, a recently designed bacterium known as the Orion Strain will almost certainly wipe out every human being on earth.

Tycho and his friends quickly form a desperate plan to steal an experimental spacecraft and flee to the partially-terraformed Moon, hoping to ride out the plague until it's safe to come home.

But the survivors of Earth soon discover that the Moon has its own dangers. Horrific storms, radiation poisoning, and mutant insects all lie in wait, and worst of all, they must soon face the betrayal of one of their own.

Will Tycho and the others find their way back to Earth, or will they be trapped forever on the dying Moon?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2012 23:10:56 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hi Will
I hope The Mystic Accountants is going well and I do like the spooky timing of your next launch ;-)

Posted on 26 Aug 2012 10:43:13 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Hello again, everyone ;-)
Writers of Young Adult Fiction, please promote your work here.

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 14:06:25 BDT
ROOM 403: a young adult paranormal romance (teen fiction books)

A blend of supernatural horror and coming-of-age teen drama, the story follows 19-year-old Grant and his best friend Susan as do their best to cope with suburban boredom and adolescent growing pains. When lines Grant never thought he would cross begin to blur, his only solace is an abandoned room in a derelict block of flats. But Grant's confusion only grows as he discovers that whatever lurks within the darkness of the building seems to be interested in him, and in keeping him from leaving. Soon both Grant and Susan will learn that the truth is more twisted than either of them want to admit. Because when Grant unveils his secrets, they will either bring the two friends together...or tear them apart for ever.

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 16:39:17 BDT
Oldman Brook says:
The Wizard of Crescent Moon Mountain: Elven Resurrection

Hello, my debut children's fantasy book 'The Wizard of Crescent Moon Mountain', released in July 2012, is gaining some good press from the likes of The Bookbag, SF Book reviews, Books Monthly, and readers on both Goodreads and Amazon. Doodled Books has got it down as the 'Hot self-published title of the year'.

I've just found out that it will be featured as a 'Debut of the Month' in October on Lovereading.co.uk kids section (9+ and 11+ age range categories) and will be reviewed on that site by Julia Eccleshare (The Guardian Newspapers Children's books editor).

I've got a fair few reviews to come in from bloggers, review sites and readers who took up the offer of a free paperback for a review - hopefully they will like as well, although realistically some people will and some people won't.

Check out the link and learn a bit more about it, if interested. If not, it seems like there are some great stories and titles on here to whet the appetite.

Regards

Oldman Brook

Posted on 29 Aug 2012 16:59:44 BDT
On offer FREE today and tomorrow, 29th and 30th, August....

Blind School (Mystery, fantasy thriller (Urban fantasy, YA))

A crossover urban fantasy/YA novel - Harry Potter meets X-Men/X-files, as one LA producer termed it.

None can see like the Blind...

Ryan Lorimar and Jessica Werner have a special gift: they can see `fallen angel' apparitions within other people. But as the fallen angels in turn know that they've been `viewed', it's a gift that will get him killed. They need protection. They need to enter `Blind School'.

Their only hope is Ellis Kendell and his team of agents. Day in, day out, Kendell's team trawl through street-cam images from across the nation to pick up that tell-tale eye light-refraction of `viewers'. Can Kendell's team get to the viewers before the fallen angels and get them to safety in `Blind School'? But there's also an added agenda: Kendell's department want the `viewers' help in tracking down more `fallen angels'.

Yet is Kendell deluding himself? Setting this small group of teens against a legion fifty-times their number of the most cunning and vicious murderers and criminal masterminds the nation has to offer - is he simply throwing them to the wolves? Fated to watch them one-by-one die. The odds are against them.

Blind School reviews:
'An adrenalin-rush, one day read. If you've ever wondered what might make mass-murderers and megalomaniacs tick, now you know. Never has the ongoing fight between good and evil been so much fun, or so frighteningly real.'
- Wendy Mellor, Simply Scripts.

`Harry Potter with attitude. Plumbs into the teen readership that has made Harry Potter and Twilight so popular, but with a wry slant that would also make it appeal to adults. Has `kidult' written all over it.'
- Tom McIntyre, Xanadu Productions.

John Matthews reviews:
`Matthews maintains the suspense... an engrossing odyssey into the seamy side of a world that is so near, yet sometimes seems so far. Compulsive reading.'
- The Times

'One of the most compelling novels I've read... an ambitious and big novel which will keep you enthralled to its last page.'
- Cork Examiner

'A classy, well-written and unusual thriller.'
- Yorkshire Post

'Matthews delivers one of the best debut thrillers in years, brave, ambitious and remorselessly entertaining. Past Imperfect is a stormer.'
- Dublin Evening Herald

'Move over Grisham, your reign is over! Reminiscent of vintage Grisham, but Matthews has his own distinctive style. Strong, believable characters and a plot that grips from page one and won't let go, twisting and turning its way towards a nail-biting climax - they don't come much better than this. One of the best and most memorable thrillers I've read in years. A winner all the way.'
- Bob Burke. Mystery Readers International.

Distinctively written... all the forceful energy of the best thrillers.
- Kirkus UK.

`A clever premise for an epic page-turner written with wit, compassion (and) highly evolved characters.
- Daily Telegraph.

`... A chilling and thrilling novel, one in which real people start to wonder if they are insane, and have to come to terms with a terrifying reality that threatens their own life. Mesmerising.
- Books Monthly

Posted on 30 Aug 2012 11:23:10 BDT
mountainmama says:
Just in time for the weekend!

YA adventure time travel: Chronicles of Time: Book 1 (trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBxe1CUwB4&feature=channel&list=UL)

YA adventure: Novel Ideas

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2012 23:37:17 BDT
Alison Buck says:
Like the trailer, MM ;-)
Hope Chronicles of Time is doing well.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  109
Total posts:  535
Initial post:  14 Dec 2011
Latest post:  6 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions