Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors discussion forum

recommend your books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 27 Jul 2012 08:51:59 BDT
N S Cooke says:
Did someone say 'Thriller?'

Bandwidth: The Story of Devlin Mallard - Revenge of a Torbay Ghost

Ever wanted to trace your family tree; gather in dusty, old photographs and gaze at the black and white souls that stare out? WELL DON'T!

Computer programmer, Michael, soon learns that the past is sometimes best left undisturbed: for lurking in the history of his bloodline, is a twisted killer, Devlin Mallard. A man dispatched from this earth at the end of a hangman's noose.

Fighting for his life, and that of his family, he joins forces with murder investigator, Detective Sergeant Woods, and rides a roller-coaster of global killings to the final confrontation. He must face his demon and return Devlin Mallard to the darkness.

Old photographs - leave them!

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 10:44:10 BDT
The Dancing Boy

Ex-soldier Tom Gillet returned to Afghanistan to search for the boy who saved his life. He was stunned by the complexity of the challenges he faced.
Far beyond the corridors of official power, he entered into a maze of corruption, betrayal and child sex slavery. He found that evil threatened his life. He found an evil so profound that it threatened everything he cared about.

This novel has been described as darker than dark, and so it should be, it's that close to being the truth.

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 11:23:07 BDT
I. Black says:
In Darshan: a Journey, my Indian heroine, Sara, knows knows very little about her father or his family, apart from that they were Welsh hill farmers, and she sets out to find out more and to try and trace his whereabouts - a quest that is peppered with ups and downs, and results in some heart-searching questions about her own identity.

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 17:35:49 BDT
Minijax says:
My genealogical novel, Tainted Tree is a definite book for a sunny day, whether for beach reading, or a weekend in the garden.

Addie is an adopted American girl, who would love to know more about her family. Her English mother, touring in America, died when she was born, and there was no sign of a husband or partner. All Addie knows is that her grandparents didn't want anything to do with her. But out of the blue, Addie discovers that an elderly man has left her a house in Surrey. What can she do but come over post haste to find out about it. Could it be the grandfather who has relented? Will the trail lead her to more family, perhaps even to her father? And what secrets will be revealed when she's given access to old letters and diaries? For a family history that spans the 20th century, a bit of a mystery, and a love affair, in addition, why not try Tainted Tree?

It has 16 reviews, 11 of them five star, and is 367 pages - 115,000 words. A good size for a holiday or the weekend.

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 18:20:13 BDT
Gareth Flood says:
5 star thriller novel Oil and Corruption is available free on 10th-12th August on kindle at Amazon sites. Enjoy! http://t.co/X1wPETU0

A Russian politician and high level Western Oil Executive have been assassinated within minutes of each other.

Their murders become inadvertently linked through the everyday work of an oil analyst, Jonathan Marshall.

A leak of Jonathan's work causes consternation at the highest levels of Governments, business and beyond, sparking deployment of assassins and agents to silence the source and prevent the uncovering of global corruption in the oil industry. With his life in danger, Jonathan battles to discover the truth and stay alive...

(Genre: Contemporary Thriller)

Published by North Shield Publishing

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 14:02:04 BDT
Here's a sizzing hot summer offer for you!!
My 4 and 5 star rated romantic novel, THE SECRET is FREE to download for the next 5 days...12th -16th August. I'd also like to mention it has been professionally edited.

This contemporary, romantic novel is a fast paced, wickedly woven web of dark secrets, emotional conflict and romantic intrigue, that will keep you guessing until the bitter sweet denouement.
Recent reviews said:
"Funny, sad, romantic, sexy, intriguing and a great read."
"Pacy modern storyline, believable characters and enough twists to keep you glued to your Kindle."
"I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found the story moved along very fast, and took me with it!"
"I quickly became involved with the characters who were all totally believable."
"This is a very well thought out, intriguing book."
"Congratulations to the author on a stunning debut novel."

Now the Olympics are drawing to a close, this novel is perfect escapism for the coming Bank Holiday weekend or indeed ANY weekend or holiday.
It's FREE anyway from tomorrow (Sunday) for 5 days, so well worth giving it a go...
Best wishes
Jan

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 17:43:21 BDT
ANN SELF says:
Hi Sammylee---if you want to read a ROMANTIC THRILLER series I have one for you! Grab a chair, get comfortable and get ready to take your mind for a ride.

Terror in New England. Romantic Thriller series on Springhill Estate. Stone mansion, gothic barn and high-dollar show horses. Add a gaggle of wealthy people, mix them with working stiffs, and you have a recipe for jealousy, psychological suspense...and murder.

SOMETHING MOST DEADLY , SOMETHING VERY GHOSTLY , and SOMETHING MOST EVIL . Clean, long-term romance. Large books. Approx. £ 1.91 .

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 20:32:52 BDT
A. Calder says:
The Stuart Agenda
My first novel is a pacy suspense/thriller set just into the future when Scotland goes independent from the UK. Robert, a young member of the long defunct royal Stuart dynasty returns to claim the throne lost by his ancestors to the Hanoverians over three hundred years ago. A political conspiracy hatched by his family sets him on the path but along the way he falls for the charms of the lovely Princess Victoria, second in line to the British throne. Amazon reviewers have loved the romance, intrigue, espionage, murder, and the settings in Scotland, England and France. A story for Scottish romantics everywhere.

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 21:07:52 BDT
ECLECTIC: TEN VERY DIFFERENT TALES
Starting with a relationship spanning an entire lifetime in just several pages and ending with a boy's struggles both at home and school, via stories including a woman's disastrous brush with modern art, a teenager's deadly obsession with video games, a man's ghostly encounter and even a humorous poem, this five-star book of eclectic tales has something for everyone and has been read and enjoyed by both readers and non-readers of short stories.

Posted on 26 Aug 2012 23:00:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Aug 2012 23:02:26 BDT
Mr. D. Menon says:
Gypsy

I'm delighted to share this 5 out of 5 review for my novel 'Gypsy' which spans 30 years of murder and mystery in the Peak district.It's from www.mirandastork.com

Good Points

David Menon mentioned to me that this book `was his baby', and I can see why! I am blown away by Mr Menon's first offering. The characters were definitely my favourite-and being from the North of England, I chuckled a little at his embittered Northern ladies made their way onto the pages, as I'm sure I know a few! All of them were vivid, colourful, and (I felt) true to life, and I the main protagonist really shone through, with both his good and bad. There was also enough drama in this novel to put any soap opera to shame! You all know I don't give away spoilers in my reviews, but the main character, `Gypsy', does something to one of the female characters and someone close to her that will make you go, "Uh oh!". The suspense was cleverly weaved in, and crafted so that you were questioning everything all the way until the ending-which was unexpected and I didn't see coming at all. The story flowed very well, it was fast moving, but nothing was missed and skipped.

Bad Points

That now I'm going to have to read the rest of David Menon's novels? Seriously, I couldn't find anything wrong with this novel, and I was impressed that this was his first novel.

Overall

This is a wonderful offering, and if you haven't got a copy yet-go and do it now! The book is a finely tuned detective story, with element of homosexuality, Russian businessmen, vivid Northern women, and the past, all crafted in and delivered in an amazing package. I enjoyed this book from beginning to end and couldn't turn the pages fast enough to devour the story.

I give this book......5/5 Stars!

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 00:30:45 BDT
Here's a short read, perfect for the beach:
Petectives
It's almost Halloween and freewheeling feline private eye Gatsby and his cerebral mentor Yoshi have decided to help a pretty young cat find her missing brother. What starts as a routine missing pet investigation soon pits them against both a gang of vicious criminal pit bulls as well as the neighborhood dog police, who are looking into rumors of dogfights. While Gatsby's up to his whiskers in danger and romance, Yoshi's putting together the pieces of a puzzle that could rock their community. Can the boys find a missing cat and shut down a dogfighting operation while staying two steps ahead of the local dog police? It's all in a night's work for the Petectives!

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 07:55:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2012 08:26:22 BDT
Catherine says:
Follow the Dove Might sound like woman's historical fiction, and it is, but all the many people who have phoned me, stopped me in the street and emailed me to say how much they enjoyed it, tell me they could not put it down, and have described it as a real page turner. (men too) Amazon has only three left in stock of the tree book, and the kindle version is a competitive price. Go for it. I want to know what you think. Book two is with the publishers.

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 14:46:07 BDT
Bill Todd says:
Hello, If you fancy a hard-hitting, sexy and action-packed read, I'd like to suggest my crime thrillers featuring Danny Lancaster - former soldier, private investigator, optimist, hero.

THE WRECK OF THE MARGHERITA
A little harmless looting turns serious for Afghan veteran Danny and his mates when they find a lethal cargo in the wrecked container lost overboard from the Margherita in a Channel storm.
A shadowy conspiracy of gangsters and crooked politicians want it back. And their search costs Aqualung his life.
As Danny picks his way through the menacing maze of intrigue, Emma is tormented by an urgent secret.
Dancer Minty is in danger.
Her archaeologist sister Claire has her own agenda.
Skidmarks's minicab business is going bust.
Wanda worries if Bob is strong enough for the task his pride has set for him.
And Danny enjoys a surprise sexual encounter as he edges towards the truth.
It's going to get bloody.
The Wreck Of The Margherita (Danny Lancaster Investigates)

DEATH SQUAD
For Danny, a wounded ex-para trying to make it in Civvy Street, it should have been an easy job. The beautiful Camilla D'Allessi hires him for a simple surveillance, watch Seventies rock star Mickey "Tattoo" Carpenter.
But Danny's nosey nature leads to a gruesome discovery at a Cornish farmhouse.
Someone is killing the rock band Death Squad. And the bodies keep piling up.
Drummer Keith "Nutter" Nugent and keyboard player Eddie Shapiro are already dead.
Lead singer Richard "Jackal" Wilkinson" is terrified, hiding behind the razor wire around his country mansion.
And Danny is wanted for murder.
Only he can clear his name. The fiery Camilla wants her revenge. But first Danny must persuade her to help him.
But nothing will stop him hunting down the assassins.
Danny and Camilla are heading for a showdown of mud and fire.
Death Squad (Danny Lancaster Investigates)

www.billtodd.co.uk

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 14:50:29 BDT
Mr. D. Menon says:
Kind of Woman

Well here you go, my first collection of short stories, centred around women and their men, with some funny, sad, and downright macarbe twists at the end.
Check it out and let me know what you think!

David

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 15:11:19 BDT
Mel Comley says:
Cruel Justice (Justice series (Book one)) reduced to 77 pence for a few days.

Top 5 police procedural 2012

The headless body of a wealthy widow is discovered
decomposing in Chelling Forest. Then a second victim is found. Detective
Inspector Lorne Simpkins and her partner, DS Pete Childs are assigned the case.
Before they can discover the identity of the killer they must make a connection
between the two victims.

After a third murder, Lorne receives a grisly surprise. Clearly, a vicious
serial killer is on a rampage...and Lorne has become the killer's fixation.

Lorne can't allow her failing marriage or her new boss--a man with whom she
shares a sensuous secret--keep her from focusing on her job. She must catch the
macabre murderer, or risk becoming the next victim.

Also in the series:

Impeding Justice (Justice series (Book Two))
Final Justice (Justice series (Book Three))
And the latest release Foul Justice (Justice Series (Book four))

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 16:03:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2012 16:05:37 BDT
I'm working on a really big space fiction series at the moment and it's called The Valkyrie Chronicles. I have the entire series almost planned out my head with a continuation series (The Nightingale Chronicles) also planned a few one shots set in the same universe but mainly in the past.

The main idea of the series follows the small crew of the Valkyrie which is a civilian operated transport ship. They somehow get pulled into things that really don't concern but on some occasions they do get pulled into something that does concern them greatly.

Valkyrie (The Valkyrie Chronicles - Book 1)
Crimson (The Valkyrie Chronicles - Book 2)

Nightingale (book 3) is expected to be released sometime within the next few months.

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 21:14:17 BDT
Mrs Pugh says:
Hi Sammylee, my husband Michael Pugh has written a vampire book called The Liverpool Vampire. It's a crime story which follows a very old vampire down the centuries and a murder investigation in 1965. It's £1.97 and it's an ebook on Kindle. There is a sequel planned that will be coming soon :)

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 22:29:28 BDT
Minijax says:
If you're looking for a book with a cocktail of history, mystery and romance, why not try my genealogical novel, Tainted Tree? Good value at just under £2, with 367 pages. 16 reviews, 11 of them five stars.

It's the story of Addie, adopted American, who comes to the UK in the 1990s to claim the house she's inherited, and goes on a quest to find out about her blood relations. She unearths the dark family secrets and traces a history that goes back to the First World War. Set in Guildford and the West Country.

It's in the top 100 in these categories:

#65 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Family Saga
#66 in Books > Fiction > Romance > Sagas
#67 in Books > Fiction > Family Sagas

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2012 22:35:20 BDT
writingbug says:
Raw Heritage
Never Assume! and other stories
If you like variety and never knowing what you'll get next in a book of short stories then you should read my book Never Assume! They're a mix of amusing, sad, funny and chilling tales.
My novel Raw Heritage is a family saga that follows characters' self-discoveries some of which are inherited traits, some exaggerated; shocks and surprises.
Let me know what you think if they're up your street!

Posted on 27 Aug 2012 22:36:24 BDT
The Bub says:
Here are some of my books on a summer promo at the moment:

Down The Tubes
Fall of the Flamingo Circus
Far Cry From The Turquoise Room
Tales By Kindlelight
Savage To Savvy
Did You Whisper Back?
Thalidomide Kid

Posted on 28 Aug 2012 20:26:14 BDT
Catnap says:
May I recommend my new (and first) e-book, The Monster Inside?

The Monster Inside

Here's the blurb:

Monsters come in all shapes and sizes...

As Carson discovers when his estranged teenaged daughter, Jodie, turns up on his doorstep, soon followed by her boyfriend, Nick. His appearance puts a strain on Carson's attempts to rebuild his relationship with his daughter. It won't end well for any of them.

Meanwhile, for eleven year old Emma, it's bad enough having to cope with life after her mother's death. A death that she blames herself for. Having to deal with bullies as well makes everything seem horribly unfair. But are the monsters in the playground any more frightening than the one she imagines living in the abandoned house round the corner?

Posted on 7 Sep 2012 10:49:05 BDT
tomovjunior says:
NEW POST - APOCALYPTIC BOOKS!
SHOTR STORIES FOR FICTION AND POST - APOCALYPTIC LOVERS!

Unexpected Tales from the Ends of the Earth

FUTURE GONE

Posted on 7 Sep 2012 16:27:38 BDT
ANN SELF says:
Great reading for a few weekends.

Springhill Estate in New England, centcom for mystery, intrigue, jealousy and psychological suspense. Right to the edge of terror without forensic gore. Showhorses, gothic barn, beautiful people and a touch of spectral to stand your hair on end in this ROMANTIC THRILLER series.

Former jockey Sam Noone was strong and fit, but the middle was spreading. Hard to stop it when he was no longer burning up calories hanging on to thousand-pound Thoroughbreds. Still, the job as barn manager on Springhill Estate was easier and much more of a soap opera than even the backstretch at Churchill Downs.
Rich, snobby women prancing around on high-dollar showhorses, attended to by snobby trainers. The wealthy Whitbeck family residing in the estate's stone mansion. Lucky thing the Grand Poobah, Elliot Whitbeck, didn't come down to the barn too often or he'd have to quit. Put his blood pressure in the red zone.
His fellow working-stiffs were much more likeable. Dylan, the smart-alecky head stable boy, chunk of keys hanging with a death-grip on his baggy pants, workboots unlaced and flapping. The kid was a witty observer of people, a shameless mimic and funny to a fault. Jane Husted, show-rider and coach. Beautiful, but poor as a churchmouse. Rich in talent and usually training someone else's horse, as these things go; her own mount being an off-brand unlikely to carry her into the upper echelons of success.
Then there was Lars Wallenberg, coach extraordinaire from the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. A pretty fancy guy, but smart and easy to get along with. Owen Flint was another matter. Misogynistic, narcissistic and bad tempered, spooking horses and women alike, strutting around in impossibly long boots and tight breeches.
Lucinda Whitbeck---pixie sized, but not someone to tangle with. Rich, spoiled and arrogant, she had a collection of personality faults rivaling Owen's. No big surprise they couldn't stand each other.
Brian Canaday, filthy rich businessman and an investor in the estate's European breeding stock. Jane acted jumpy whenever the man appeared on the scene. What was up with that? Did she know him? The whole atmosphere in the monster barn was off lately. He sensed an eeriness creeping around in the shadows that raised hair straight off the back of his neck.

SOMETHING MOST DEADLY , SOMETHING VERY GHOSTLY , and SOMETHING MOST EVIL . Clean, long-term romance. Now £ 1.97 each

Posted on 8 Sep 2012 00:13:03 BDT
Gaspar The Thief

Gaspar The Thief is a new humorous fantasy adventure by British author, David A. Lindsay.

There's no reviews on Amazon yet (sigh), but it's received four 4 Star reviews at Goodreads, plus it's neither a short story nor a novella - it's a full-length novel of 126,000 words. Here's the blurb:

Follow the adventures of Gaspar, a freelance thief who stubbornly refuses to swear fealty to the Thieves' Guild.

Cursed with a special affinity for calamity and mishap, and a talent for snatching defeat from the brink of victory, our hero blunders from one misfortune to the next, yet somehow always manages to survive to tell the tale.

Accompanied by his long-suffering companions - Hubris, a spellbroker who refuses to pay his dues to Wizards' Hall, and Marna, a feisty thiefess with a quick tongue and a quicker temper - our unlikely hero encounters looming retribution and imminent catastrophe at every step.

From a sinister funeral ship to a scheming seductress; from a puzzling murder to a gang of merciless ship-wreckers; and from a goblin army laying siege to an ancient border fortress to a mischievous wood-wight with a penchant for table legs and floorboards, there's no end to the troubles he can find!

Told with an appealing mixture of seriousness and humour, this is an exciting romp based in a fantasy world where anything can, and usually does, happen!

Please visit the new website at www.highland.co.uk.

Posted on 8 Sep 2012 12:36:34 BDT
Bill Todd says:
Danny Lancaster - Afghan veteran, private detective, optimist, hero.

What lethal cargo was the container ship Margherita carrying when the storm hit?
"Witty, gory, sexy, educational in parts, it's a fantastic read" -The Sun
The Wreck Of The Margherita (Danny Lancaster Investigates)

Who is murdering members of Seventies rock band Death Squad?
"Great stuff, with lots of bodice-ripping - by both bullet and basic instinct." -The Sun
Death Squad (Danny Lancaster Investigates)

www.billtodd.co.uk
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  421
Total posts:  2863
Initial post:  1 Jul 2012
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions