Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors discussion forum

Short Storys, Are they Worth It?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on 30 Mar 2012 20:47:05 BDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-59 of 59 posts in this discussion
Posted on 29 Mar 2012 15:01:27 BDT
Caz M says:
Yes, if they help you to spell properly!

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 19:22:06 BDT
I may be being too soft-hearted for my own good here but I feel a bit sorry for Kindling209MB. I get the impression he may well be the author of "Breaking Locks" and was pretty excited about and pleased with his story, and the fact it was published on Amazon. If that is the case, I know that he broke the rules and that he invited the criticism he has received by doing so and by his poor presentation, but I can't help thinking of him slaving over his keyboard on what he imagined was a great piece of work, only to find that his best was far from good enough in the eyes of others. The humiliation seems to have been too much for him, since the story has now disappeared altogether. I can't rid myself of the image of this broken man sitting in his garret with his head in his hands and unable to believe that he has no ability to spell, use grammar and punctation or even tense correctly, and absolutely no writing talent whatsoever. I would expect he has never read a book on the subject, and in that, sadly, he is not unique amongst the multitude of writers who publish here. (I am not being critical of indie writers in general by saying this, some are very good, merely stating the obvious). Nevertheless, I still can't help but sympathise with him over his shattered dream. (Or am I being naive?). At least no one can accuse him of plagiarism. By the way, K209MB, I rather liked the first title.

I also posted this in the other thread on this topic.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 21:10:21 BDT
Minijax says:
I also felt a bit sorry for him/her, Lindsey. I actually wondered if it was a rather young person, good on the technology, but not so hot on the writing and spelling.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 21:39:16 BDT
Yeh, I agree. I said I thought he might be a teenager on the other thread.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 09:41:27 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings just for the heck of it, but just because someone is (apparently) a teenager we do them no favours by wrapping them in cotton wool. Sooner rather than later such an individual will be going into the real world and a bit of constructive criticism at this stage will, one hopes, make them better prepared for that world's harsh realities. Two options may arise from this "baptism of fire": 1) the individual will realise they're not really cut out to be a writer and move on to something else which may prove more fulfilling, or 2) they will realise that much improvement is required and work hard to get their writing up to scratch. Either of these options is preferable to them carrying on with the delusion that their writing is currently good enough for publication.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 09:59:49 BDT
Now here's some wisdom. Wanted to say the same, but since my posts all get deleted on that matter, what's the point? It's 100 words or so I could add to my novel, where they would most probably stay and have a bigger impact. :-)

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 12:42:12 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 7 Apr 2012 16:36:32 BDT]

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 08:23:56 BDT
Garscadden says:
Looks like Borken Lox / Turn of fait is back - I wonder if we'll see the spam again?

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 11:06:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2012 11:07:45 BDT
With the next error in the pitch.

I still couldn't fix mine, by the way.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  26 Mar 2012
Latest post:  7 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions