Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors discussion forum

Sunday morning reading list

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Apr 2012 08:53:27 BDT
Gecko129 says:
Great books to read on a Sunday morning ....
Maybe lazing in bed with a cup of tea .....

The Flight of the Griffin
Living in their old boat `The Griffin' five young characters become the unlikely heroes at the end of time when a burglary sets them on the path to finish the `Last great Spell' - a spell to stop the balance of the World tipping into Chaos...

They become the Magician, Thief, Priest and Fighter when a magical book guides them upon a quest that pits them against magic, demons and `The Hawk,' an evil hunter of men.

Join a race against time to find three crystal skulls that must be brought together, while all the forces of Chaos try everything to stop them!

The Flight of the Griffin

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 09:41:46 BDT
Carl Ashmore says:
And The Time Hunters (Book 1 of the acclaimed series for children of all ages) is a freebie today.

Happy Sunday all,

Carl

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 12:27:12 BDT
For fast-paced, page turning action try The Scorpion or my first thriller in the series DEADLINE. Both are newspaper thrillers. Go behind the headlines!

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 14:18:24 BDT
1923: A Memoir Lies and Testaments 77p

Well, Harry had me with the Author's Introduction. "
Vickie Adair | 5 reviewers made a similar statement
"
More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired. "
Mihir Shah | 2 reviewers made a similar statement
"
He was born into poverty, abuse, and alcoholism during the Great Depression in England. "
Mary Crocco | 1 reviewer made a similar statement

To say that Harry Smith was born under an unlucky star would be an understatement. Born in England in 1923, Smith chronicles the tragic story of his early life in this first volume of his memoirs. He presents his family's early history--their misfortunes and their experiences of enduring betrayal, inhumane poverty, infidelity, and abandonment. 1923: A Memoir presents the story of a life lyrically described, capturing a time both before and during World War II when personal survival was dependent upon luck and guile. During this time, failure insured either a trip to the workhouse or burial in a common grave. Brutally honest, Smith's story plummets to the depths of tragedy and flies up to the summit of mirth and wonder, portraying real people in an uncompromising, unflinching voice. 1923: A Memoir tells of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 17:01:32 BDT
N S Cooke says:
Bandwidth: The Story of Devlin Mallard - Revenge of a Torbay Ghost

In the 21st Century West Country spirits have moved on from Ouija boards and séances, the dead now travel by broadband, hidden in the Bandwidth. They inhabit the chat rooms, plying their trade online, ever hungry for contact with the living.

Inspired to rediscover his roots and family history, computer programmer, Michael, soon learns that the past is sometimes best left undisturbed: for lurking in the history of his bloodline, is a twisted killer, Devlin Mallard. A man dispatched from this earth in 1929 at the end of a hangman's noose.

Fighting for his life, and that of his family, he joins forces with murder investigator, Detective Sergeant Woods, and rides a roller-coaster of global killings to the final confrontation. He must face his demon and return Devlin Mallard to the darkness.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 17:03:24 BDT
SIRIUS says:
Hello, Gecko. Good Thread.

Bending the Boyne

Why were the great Boyne mounds abandoned at 2200 BCE?

Fresh Eire! Bending The Boyne offers a fresh take on ancient Ireland. Myth and bang-on archaeology combine in this award-winning* fiction.
See product page for excellent trade and reader reviews.
*Winner, historical fiction, Next Generation Awards 2011. Finalist, Foreword Book Of The Year Awards.

350 quality pages, print and via Kindle/apps/Nook.

Top 100 lists since February ( USA):
#3 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > History > Europe > Ireland
#14 in Books > History > Europe > Ireland

Quoting from the most recent review:
"... I'm always super interested in how authors, especially those that write historical fiction, make their stories genuine and realistic. Dunn does a really fabulous job of pulling the reader into a very interesting story about the people of Ancient Ireland. "

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 17:25:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Apr 2012 17:28:12 BDT
Jim Webster says:
A sunday morning reading list is a tricky one to organise.

It really depends upon on how you organise your Sunday morning. I prefer to be wakened gently by minstrel maidens some time after second light, then my valet will come through and we will discuss the affairs of the day, my factotum will doubtless make an appearence about then, but for the next few hours my time is my own (obviously the Sommelier will come in at some point but that is a given).
I'm not sure one can discuss the book to read without first contemplating the music to read by, and when contemplating the music one is forced to contemplate the musicians. Admittedly these need not be any hardship, but it can be a distraction.
Therefore I feel that something not too dark is called for, I would feel that The Collected Sermons of Walter Brueggemann is probably too heavy for this time of day, The Symposium (Penguin Classics) I would recommend for later in the day.
This is one reason why I felt I ought to bring Swords for a Dead Lady to your attention.

The next question is who do you have to read it to you? I prefer someone with a clear voice, without too much accent, and with the ability to give character to the lines but resisting the temptation to act them out. Such can be difficult to find and beware of one with inferior oratorical abilities.
In fact, it can almost be easier just to read it yourself

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 14:22:04 BDT
The Barley Hole Chronicles: From Hell to Hamburg £1.27

A True story about life lived on the razor's edge of history (480 pages)

Barley Hole was for my great grandfather Canaan, the land of milk and honey. For my father, it was paradise lost and for my mother, Barley Hole was a curse. It was a place that haunted her spirit and her soul throughout her life. To me, Barley Hole is a name forever etched on the map of my family's heart; it is where betrayal and injustice nearly thrust us into oblivion.
The Barley Hole Chronicles are an odyssey of the human spirit that stretch across time and geography to incorporate, diverse personalities, personal hardships, World Wars and the struggle for peace and love, in a society fallen from grace. These Chronicles document one Yorkshire family's decent into the wilderness of poverty and hunger. It is a personal record of one young man's struggle to survive the great depression, the Second World War and the hazards and wonders of life in post war Germany. The Barley Hole Chronicles are a summation of two memoirs by Harry Leslie Smith 1923 and Hamburg 1947. The Barley Hole Chronicles are a true account of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real. It is also a social history of the 20th century at its bloodiest and deadliest time.
From the Back Cover
I don't know why but the winter rains stopped and spring came early in 1945. When Hitler committed suicide at the end of April, the flowers and trees were in full bloom and the summer birds returned to their nesting grounds. Not long after the great dictator's corpse was incinerated in a bomb crater by his few remaining acolytes, the war in Europe ended. After so much death, ruin and misery; it was remarkable to me how nature resiliently budded back to life in barns, in fields and across battlegrounds, now calm and silent. The earth said to her children; it is time to abandon your swords and harness your ploughs; the ground is ripe and this is the season to tend to the living.

I was twenty-two and ready for peace. I had spent four years in the R.A.F as a wireless operator. During the war, I was lucky; I never came close to death. While the world bled from London to Leningrad; I walked away without a scratch. Make no mistake, I did my part in this war; I played my role and I never shirked the paymaster's orders. For four years, I trained, I marched, and I saluted across the British Isles. During the final months of the conflict, I ended up in Belgium and Holland with B.A.F.U. My unit was responsible for maintaining abandoned Nazi air fields, for allied aircraft.

When Germany surrendered, to the allies in gutted Berlin, I was in Fuhlsbuttel, a northern suburb of Hamburg. Our squadron took up a comfortable residence in its undamaged aerodrome located not far from the main thoroughfare. At the time, I didn't think much about Fuhlsbuttel, I felt it was between nothing and nowhere. It was much like every other town our unit drove through during the dying days of the war. Nothing was out of place and it was, quiet, clean and as silent as a Sunday afternoon.

While I slept in my new bed, in this drowsy neighbourhood; the twentieth century's greatest and bloodiest conflict came to an end at midnight on May seventh. On the morning of the eighth, our R.A.F commander hastily arranged a victory party, for that afternoon. The festivities were held in a school gymnasium close to the airport.

No one considered or asked on that day of victory "what happens next." That was tomorrow's problem. I certainly didn't question my destiny on that spring afternoon. Instead like the Romans, I followed the edict carpe diem: I ate too much, I smoked too much and I drank too much. And, why not I reasoned, the war was over and I had survived whereas many others had been extinguished as quickly as it takes to blow out a flame on a candle.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
NOT Free - but really good value! 21 12 minutes ago
Kindle books under a £1.00 495 1 hour ago
recommend your books 2470 1 hour ago
Indie Authors Self Promo 4150 1 hour ago
Plug Your Kindle Books Here! 1310 3 hours ago
I do want to read your book 1496 3 hours ago
Great reads for the weekend! 4296 3 hours ago
Looking for something to read this weekend? 824 3 hours ago
Keep on Plugging..... 1548 3 hours ago
science fiction genre titles 617 3 hours ago
Shameless self-promotion 1965 3 hours ago
Rainy day reading list... 395 3 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  22 Apr 2012
Latest post:  29 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions