Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 May 2012 21:30:17 BDT
A. Channelle says:
Apostrophien - a story about curiosity
OK, so I've just added my first fictional book to the Kindle store and I've set the price at 3.49(GBP) and 3.99(USD). This, I've noticed is a little higher than most other first time novelists on the Kindle store (especially for a book that weighs in at 150 pages), but my rationale is this: 3 quid is roughly the cost of a cup of coffee in one of the coffee chains, it lasts approximately 30 minutes and, while enjoyable, is pretty much the same as every other cup of coffee. My book took two years to think about, will take a good few hours to read (even for a fast reader) and is a one off. It's worth more than the price of a cup of coffee.*
I'd be interested in your experiences of pricing and how it affected sales.

*Of course I reserve the right to drop the price (people write to be read...)Apostrophien - a story about curiosity

Posted on 23 May 2012 21:59:43 BDT
willie wit says:
We have an ongoing glut of hundreds of free books every day on Kindle, i think any new author going above 99p is risking instant oblivion, especially for a book that may be regarded as 'short'. lots of well respected and reviewed books are readily available for under £2 as well.
I never go to place where a coffee costs 3.49 so i'm not sure if it is a good comparison to make.
Even when their books are available for free many authors get but a few downloads, it tends to be friends and family who will pay top dollar.

:o)

Posted on 24 May 2012 07:32:27 BDT
Jim Webster says:
I had a look at it and discovered that there was no 'look inside' feature. I wouldn't 'buy' a free book without looking inside it first I'm afraid.

Posted on 24 May 2012 07:49:43 BDT
Ethereal says:
Surely you can sample on the pc without needing "look inside"?

I think the page equivalent should be included on the book info as not everyone will see this thread and may be disappointed about its length.
The length wouldn't be a problem to me if it's a great read but I don't think it's a good idea to say it deserves that price because of the author's time and effort ... it's asking for the retort, "Who cares?"

I think authors should value their work but it's also wise to be market-aware and get noticed first. So I might knock it down to, say, £1.99 to start and see how it goes.

I'm interested in why it's a one-off - no plans to write more?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 09:15:38 BDT
Jim Webster says:
You can download etc but I can use the 'look inside' on any computer

From the sellers point of view 'Look inside' makes it easy, lowers the threshold and lets the casual browser read.
In absolute terms the price isn't expensive, and if the 'look inside' is big enough and good enough to draw the reader in then they might happily click the 'buy' button.
In fact an 'unusual' price might well inspire the reader to 'look inside' if only to see what the book has to make it worth the extra.

There is so much out there the book has to stand out and be easy to access. Then if it is any good, it gets a chance to sell itself

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 09:20:45 BDT
Ethereal says:
"You can download etc but I can use the 'look inside' on any computer"

Good thinking Batman. And about the unusual price bit (though if everyone does that it won't work!).

Posted on 24 May 2012 09:31:32 BDT
I read somewhere that the 'sweet spot' pricewise is between $2.99 and $5.00 I'm not sure what that is in stirling so I've just put mine in at £1.50 for the shorter and £2.05 (with the VAT) for the longer one on .com they're both $3... I wonder why we aren't 'allowed' to sell our e-books through Amazon Australisia, South Africa and India. If they want to make money out of us, I'd have thought a country's most widely spoken language would make more sense than geographical location. I know, I know 150 different dialects in India but they all speak English - much the way there are all those dialects in Italy but everyone speaks Italian.

Cheers

MTM

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 10:20:28 BDT
Jim Webster says:
If you look at the bottom of the page you'll see as well as Amazon.co.uk there are Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, United States
But no Australia or India. And Canada doesn't seem to support Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 10:22:29 BDT
Jim Webster says:
Amazon kindly ensures through their policies that everyone seems to stick with certain prices ;-)
I've noticed that some publishers will put the price forward, Amazon will add their bit which takes the price high, but after a fortnight will then put it on permanent discount.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 13:04:22 BDT
A. Channelle says:
I have plans for more - and even more on this story. But not in the same style, so I wouldn't see it as part of a series. It's written in a very specific way. The length is actually crucial to the narrative - in my mind, I wrote it as a 150,000 word novel masquerading as a 50,000 word novel; what's not there is as important as what is.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 13:06:44 BDT
A. Channelle says:
Didn't think about that, thanks. I know the 'sample chapter' thing is available. I'll look into the look inside option now.

There's also a little bit of an issue about the look inside for this particular story. If you read chapter 1-5, you might think I just have bad grammar. But this just comes from the situation the correspondent is in, the time, her age and me being pedantic about being authentic.

Posted on 24 May 2012 13:23:23 BDT
A. Channelle says:
Apparently it will take a little time for Look Inside to be enabled, and the books only been up a couple of days. I'm not sure about adding a page equivalent to the description, though it might be worth an experiment. I've discovered I'm in the top 20,000 for paid books, which is actually 170,000 places higher than one of the books I wrote for a publisher (though that's still in the top 100 for it's sector).

Posted on 24 May 2012 15:33:36 BDT
Jim Webster says:
From my own limited experience the ranks seem perfectly respectable. I certainly wouldn't panic over price at the moment.

Posted on 24 May 2012 18:02:28 BDT
I. Black says:
I have my 3 novels all priced at £1.53, which is fine for me because it actually gives me about the same in royalties as the paperback versions do.

The books (available ib Kindle and paperback versions)

If you like novels about families and 'roots' this one may be just right for you.

Darshan: a Journey - a `who do you think you are' novel, that is currently being used as an English Literature Baccalaureate book in France .

Set mainly in Oxford and India: Sara, a young Indian student in Oxford sets out to find her estranged Welsh father - and to escape the prospect of an arranged marriage back in India. The result of her quest, which takes her through Europe, America and India, is not quite what she expected as she gets involved with a dangerous religious cult, a series of romantic catastrophes and discovers disturbing facts about her family history.

'An involving story, beautifully told.' Oxford Times Literary section

A gripping adventure and a poignant romance set in exotic lands.
The Moon's Complexion: A romantic thriller set in Surrey, India and Sri Lanka. Hannah, an English journalist, is fleeing from a stalker. She meets Ashok, an Indian doctor. Together they set out to trap the stalker. They fall in love but their romance is hampered by issues involving their overlapping past, as well as some cultural misunderstandings. It's also available in paperback.

`I challenge anyone to put this book down' Editor, London Student Newspaper

Even if fantasy is not your thing, this novel will surprise you. - try a sample and see!
Noontide Owls A Fantasy for young and old: The Conquering Army of Shoog the Awesome has marched out of Ambamar after 100 years. But freedom does not bring peace. It is left to 14-year-old Maara and the two noble Trumpeters to try and stop the city from destroying itself and all the marvellous beings that inhabit its world.
Pen and ink drawings throughout.

I could not put it down... I really cannot wait for my son to read it. It was fantastic.
Anjali Mittal, children's book author

Posted on 25 May 2012 10:33:48 BDT
John Moralee says:
£1.53 is the minimum price allowed for books to receive 70% royalities - earning the writer about a pound per copy sold.

Cape Mistral is a crime novel set at that price.

Posted on 25 May 2012 12:13:06 BDT
Gaspar The Thief

By British author, David A. Lindsay, Gaspar The Thief is a fast-paced, humorous, fantasy adventure involving thieves, brigands, sell-swords, goblins, scheming mages, and even a tricksy wight.

Now at just £1.99 for the Kindle version for a limited period only, which is a £6.00 reduction compared to the paperback price.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 12:14:11 BDT
I. Black says:
Yes, John, that's absolutely right - and paperbacks at £8.99 (which mine are) bring in around 10% in royalties! So I'm quite happy to sell as eBooks, although, I still think there's nothing like a 'proper' book in your hand. Both have a place and as long as I'm selling both I'm happy!

Posted on 25 May 2012 13:55:49 BDT
A. Channelle says:
Thanks for the responses so far, this is an important discussion to have. I've decided to stick with my pricing as it is and see how things go. I'm slightly taking my stance from the songwriter and performer Chris TT who has written that most gigs are underpriced and this leads to a devaluing of the art of performance. Read more here: http://louderthanwar.com/are-gigs-too-cheap/

"People immediately react badly to this idea, until they start comparing an evening of live music in a small venue to any other kind of cultural experience, or even any other kind of evening out."

I think the situation is slightly different for authors because writing is a process that can live alongside other (more profitable) work with less trouble than being a touring musician. However, his suggestion that consumers will see cheap or free products as largely 'worthless' is important. He says: "people who've paid negligible entry are less interested in the music and are simply less good audiences."

If someone pays for your work, I think that makes them more likely to read it, and stick with it beyond the first few pages. I have a number of 'free' books calling forlornly from the darkest corner of my Kindle and I honestly mean to get around to them, but then other stuff gets in the way.
Your reply to A. Channelle's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2012 14:59:10 BDT
Jim Webster says:
I think that if people aren't careful they'll get what they pay for (or rather what they don't pay for ;-))
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Meet Our Authors discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  23 May 2012
Latest post:  25 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions