Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > laptop discussion forum

HP250 G1 laptop

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 May 2014 11:41:43 BDT
Ivor Shed says:
I want to be able to reboot my laptop remotely from my 2nd home.
I have taken out the battery and powered it from a Wemo IP mains switch which I can turn on/off remotely.
How do I set up the laptop to reboot when power is restored without being around to press the on/off button on the keyboard. I made a BIOS change to my desktop but can't find the equivalent in the laptop BIOS

Posted on 19 May 2014 10:40:08 BDT
search for "wake on lan"

What are "Wake on LAN" capabilities?

Applies to Windows 7

Sometimes called Remote Wake-up, Wake on LAN is technology that allows someone to turn on a network computer remotely by sending a special data packet (called a Magic Packet). Even if the computer is turned off, the network adapter is still "listening" on the network, so when the special packet arrives, the network adapter can turn on the computer.

Wake on LAN is mainly used by system administrators to perform computer maintenance tasks remotely. The computer receiving the Magic Packet must have a motherboard, network adapter, adapter driver, and computer basic input/output system (BIOS) that work with Wake on LAN.

In Windows 7. Wake on LAN is enabled by default in desktop computers but disabled in laptops. For more information, go to the Microsoft TechNet article Power Management for Network Devices in Windows 7.

Posted on 19 May 2014 10:59:35 BDT
Ivor Shed says:
Wake up on LAN won't work if the machine has been powered off at the mains. We can power off/on the machine remotely with a Wemo IP switch. We can remove the laptop battery so it goes on/off when we use the Wemo switch BUT when we switch the power back on the laptop needs a visit by someone to press the on button. Wake up on LAN only works with sleep mode - which we can do with Logmein remotely. I need an IP digit beside the laptop to press the button. It isn't a problem with a desktop as the BIOS can be set to start up on power on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the laptop discussion forum (171 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  laptop discussion forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  12 May 2014
Latest post:  19 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions