Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

can you read a kindle fire in the sun???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Dec 2012 13:54:40 GMT
N. Woodhead says:
can you read a kindle fire in the sun???

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 13:55:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jul 2014 07:43:43 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I shouldn't think so - it isn't an e-ink screen.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 13:55:37 GMT
S. Reason says:
NO is the simply answer. Fires are really not suitable for reading on anyway.

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 13:58:36 GMT
I get why Amazon used the kindle brand for their tablet, but I really wish they hadn't!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2013 18:23:51 GMT
S. Reason says:
I agree.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 07:59:36 GMT
I would imagine that a lot of people are going to agree with you Creepy. It's all very well saying,as some have on this forum, that they should have researched the device before buying it but as one of the selling points on the original kindle was the ability to read it in direct sunlight I can see why people expected the same from the kindle fire. I know of 3 people who received fires for Christmas and have been disappointed. In each case the purchaser thought that the fire was just an updated version of the ereader with colour and a backlight. Certainly the tv ads didn't point out that the fire wasn't a dedicated ereader. I'm sure I'll get a load of negs for saying this but I think if I'd bought a fire on the strength of the ads I'd be wanting to return it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 08:06:30 GMT
Suze says:
I'd return it too kittycat. after reading some of the posts on here I don't think they work half as well as they are supposed to.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 09:44:46 GMT
C. J. Pike says:
I have a Kindle Keyboard and Fire. The Fire I bought as a back up in case my Keyboard dies - which it did on Boxing day. At least I can read on the Fire untill my replacement arrived. It does exactly what says - it is a low priced tablet with book reading as an option. I love both my Kindles as they can each do things the other can't. I certainly wouldn't return either of them. A tablet has an LCD screen, e-reader a non-rflective screen. Each specifically designed for its purpose. The Fire works brilliantly for what it is suposed to do. Too many people on this forum only go on about the negatives and what it can't do, why not look at the positves and what it can do and be satisfied. For £99 which is what I payed I would never expect something as posh and up market as an Ipad mini or a Samsung glaxay.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 11:46:50 GMT
Hi C.J, I agree that the kindle fire is well priced and as a regular on the forum I would know what to expect from it. However I only meant I would return it if I had thought I was getting a dedicated ereader. I don't think amazon made it clear enough in their ads that it actually is a tablet especially as many non technical people were likely to buy them as presents. Personally I would have no use for a fire, I got a Samsung galaxy tablet as a free gift with a phone before Christmas and doubt it will get much use as I would only be using it to surf the net which I can do fine from my phone. Unsurprisingly I have a queue of family members willing to take it off my hands.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 18:11:18 GMT
Ryan Cawsey says:
They have made some special low profle screen though so that the display sits more on the glass reducing 25% of glare or something like that anyway?

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 18:57:06 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
I have just ordered some polarised lens (clip on) to see if wearing those makes it possible to read the Kindle Fire etc in the sunlight. They might help reading the bright screen out of the sun too. I will put my thoughts on this forum when the lenses arrive.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 19:26:37 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
Is it these?
Read your Kindle in the sun glasses

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 19:35:55 GMT
Back Porch says:
I really don't get what people are on about? I took my KFHD out in the brightest sunlight we have had recently and I had no trouble reading it. Personally I find the basic kindle unreadable in any light as it is too dim. If you like that dimness then you can simulate it on the KFHD anyway

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 19:38:23 GMT
Suze says:
I think you'll find it isn't so easy in summer. Plenty of people with tablets have complained about the glare and not being able to settle down and read because they are constantly seeking shade.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 19:38:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2013 19:39:00 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
No its these.

Polarized Clip On Flip Up Sunglasses

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 19:41:30 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
You could get two of mine for that price and keep a spare in case you step on them when you stand on your kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 19:44:02 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
These seemed to be the cheapest looking at them for value as well.

Used to wear glasses like these when I went fishing with my uncle - you could look in the water and see the fish under the surface.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 19:50:21 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
I did the same but I wore these.

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 19:53:25 GMT
© says:
Bj
Those Glasses do look fun, but will they burn and smash to smitherings if you put them near a FIRE; dont you think the lenses would get Hot?

;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 19:56:53 GMT
BeeJayTee says:
I don't read on my Fire.
I heat the greenhouse with it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 20:07:12 GMT
© says:
"¿)"

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2013 13:24:32 GMT
Wish I had read this before I bought. I have the original kindle and thought I would upgrade I live in Malaysia and went to the trouble of getting family to bring with them only to discover I can't read in the sun or any sunlight. Can't organize my books when I have read, can't take photos! What was the point. Very disappointed

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2013 13:29:48 GMT
Suze says:
Julie get yourself a basic kindle for £69. They're pretty good for a so called basic model.

Posted on 30 Jan 2013 13:38:32 GMT
Back Porch says:
I think people are confusing the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD. The latter has a far better display than the former. As I said before I have no problem with the HD.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2013 14:54:08 GMT
Walker says:
I, too, have a Kindle Fire HD and I can confirm that it is awful to try and read outside in sunlight. You can't beat a proper eink reader for outdoors reading.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
125 9 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
310 12 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
249 18 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
111 26 Mar 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
279 15 Jan 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 28 Oct 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
111 1 Mar 2015
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  28 Dec 2012
Latest post:  30 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions