Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Kindle Fire - Can I hide a book from other kindles on my account ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2014 16:05:41 GMT
Kayleigh says:
We have a reading group and all kindles are linked to my account. This has worked fine for more than a year. But now I find I would like to purchase a book that I would prefer the others on my account not to receive.
Is there a way of me purchasing the book and not having it sent to the other kindles on the account (a mix of Kindle Fires , Keyboard Kindles & a paperwhite)

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2014 16:09:04 GMT
Damaskcat says:
The books won't automatically go to any other Kindle except the one you designate when you purchase it but it will show in the archive/cloud on the other devices registered to the same account. The only way you can prevent the others seeing the book is to set parental controls on all the other devices - which their owners may not be willing to let you do.

Alternatively you could set up another account for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2014 17:34:54 GMT
CBRetriever says:
and it's going to show up on the carousels of those with Fires

Posted on 5 Mar 2014 17:45:28 GMT
Kayleigh says:
Thanks so much for your responses.

I knew somewhere down the line there would be a drawback to 6 adults on 1 account.
If I open a second account for myself can I deregister my kindle fire from the joint account.
re-register it on new account - download the book I want - read it then de register from new account and re-register myself back on joint account ??

Would that work as a get round ?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2014 17:51:48 GMT
Damaskcat says:
No - it wouldn't work and it is against Amazon's terms and conditions as books and other media belong to accounts rather than people or devices.

Posted on 5 Mar 2014 18:41:12 GMT
The Other says:
It already goes against the tos as accounts are then register to people...six people presumably unrelated and of different households would be a pretty big breach. I would suspect an author would rather sell 6 copies or have their books checked out of a library six times than the buy one copy get five free which...is sort of mind boggling.

Apologies, this is probably my first snooty post. Seems odd to wish to hide a book in general nth. Except adult material from children I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 13:20:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Mar 2014 13:28:10 GMT
Ive just had a rather long chat with a Kindle agent because my father has a kindle which I bought him and because he didn't have an Amazon account at the time, we registered his kindle against my account. I gave him my Amazon account details so he could log on as me and buy books via my account/credit card. However, now he has his own Amazon account and we both want him to buy books from his own account/credit card. Agent told me if he deregistered from me/my account/card and re-registered against his own account/credit card, yes he could buy new content himself but would lose access to the previously purchased content via me. The relevant part of the discussion regarding Kayleigh's post, is the agent told me he could still access the old content by deregistering from himself and re-registering to me again. This way he WOULD be able to access and read the previously purchased content via my details but, consequently, not the new content via his. When he wanted to view new stuff via him, he could deregister from me again and reregister to himself to see only the new content again. Which is what Kayleigh is suggesting so surely that WOULD work as a work around in this situation?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 16:46:51 GMT
CBRetriever says:
deregistering a Kindle Fire basically sets it back to Factory Defaults and it has to be set up all over again from scratch (all apps, music, videos, books, etc will be removed from it) each time which is a real pain

Posted on 8 Mar 2014 16:58:33 GMT
Would it also set a Kindle paperwhite back to factory defaults? That's what my father's is. Or did the Kindle agent give me duff advice or just didn't really tell me the WHOLE story?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2014 17:43:35 GMT
CBRetriever says:
No it won't, but hopefully your father won't find it too difficult
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
18 3 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
263 3 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 4 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 23 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
545 28 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1018 13 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  5 Mar 2014
Latest post:  8 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions