Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Voucher for refurbished Kindle fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Aug 2014 21:07:41 BDT
Debra R says:
Hi all
Have just received info on a Free Voucher to Purchase a Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 16GB (previous generation) at £65 on Amazon Local. I don't really know much about these as my kindle is just the basic e-reader. Does anyone think this would be a worthwhile offer for books, films etc or would I be better spending more on a more upgraded model.
Thanks for any advice
Debra x

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 21:15:44 BDT
Denis Powell says:
That's a difficult question to answer as there are some significant differences.

The Fire HD (Previous Generation) has an micro-HDMI port so you can connect it to a TV by cable. It doesn't have the Collections feature for books however.

The new HDX has no micro-HDMI port so you need a "Miracast" compliant TV or extra equipment to connect it to a TV. It does, however, have Cloud Collections.

There are other differences in features but they'll probably be the most noticeable differences as far as movies and books are concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 21:18:50 BDT
Sharon4 says:
If you read a lot, you'll probably want to hang onto your ereader and use the KFHD for music, films, audiobooks etc. The Fires are lovely devices (my DH has one) but they have a backlit screen which most people find very uncomfortable for reading in direct sunlight and are heavier than most ereaders. Also, as they are tablet computers, they have a wealth of nice distractions waiting to lure you away from your book the minute your attention wavers. I find reading on my Paperwhite much more satisfying, whether it's the news (I download the Guardian every morning) or a book.

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 21:58:51 BDT
Debra R says:
Thank you Denis and Sharon, for your prompt helpful replies. Definitely food for thought x

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 09:57:54 BDT
@Debra: Well, that's the piggy bank empty apart from some old franc coins ^..^
I've been putting off buying a Skype tablet since it seems such an extravagance, however having to sit hunched over a pc is just too tedious. I had almost gone wild early on in the day and then came home to read your offer post - thank you very much :)

I'm really looking forward both to Skype and to hearing the improved Talk To Me feature. I'm not very brand loyal, but this one feature has wedded me to the Amazon ecosystem so (ashamed as I am to admit it) I'm actually excited :)

Many thanks once again :)

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 19:54:45 BDT
Debra R says:
@Combat Wombat - you're welcome though I'm sorry I've been the cause of you emptying your piggy bank. Still there's time to save more ready for the big C- day in December! Ha ha x

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 21:52:49 BDT
Little Egret says:
If you do get the Kindle Fire you might like Purple Leather Cover Sleeve Case With Stand and Sleep Mode For Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" (Previous Generation)

£3.99 and you can order it at the same time. If you have already ordered then order the case and do a combine orders. I didn't have to because I got Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Case (4th generation - 2011 release), Wine Purple for my refurbished Kindle Touch (special discount still active though I thought it was too late).

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 03:16:58 BDT
Thank you both :) I'm determined to try to let the Fire live nekkid for the time being @Little E. Not sure how long that will last - probably an hour.
I did look at combining an order since I've never done it, and it's not available but I'll keep an eye out and thank you - I never knew there was such an option :)

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 07:56:49 BDT
Little Egret says:
Looks like the combine orders feature has gone - Amazon can do it but we can't. I used to use it years ago when there was a minimum order for free postage and haven't tried since this came back in January last.

Only way would be to cancel and reorder.

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 09:22:37 BDT
Debra R says:
There's also a green cover for slightly cheaper - £3.49
Green Leather Cover Sleeve Case With Stand and Sleep Mode For Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" (Previous Generation)

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 09:38:01 BDT
Joy B says:
I have ordered one as well, thanks very much, plus a blue case. I had been saving up to update my ipad but got stung with a scam and have lost my money. Unfortunately I did not buy on Ebay so have no comeback. In the long run I cannot really complain as i have purchased items on Ebay and Gumtree for about 12 years and this is the first time it has happened, but it was not a cheap purchase.
So this new toy can console me for a while anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2014 13:31:55 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Aug 2014 13:32:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2014 14:05:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2014 19:05:02 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
Joy, I had this misfortune of buying a Kindle Fire off ebay, paid for through my Paypal account which did not arrive. Going through resolution on ebay - I was able to get the cost of the Kindle Fire back plus the postage.

I had bought a refurbished Previous Generation Kindle Fire from Amazon with the compensation and was happily using the refurbished one when a Post Office Investigation Officer came to call.

It seems the recorded delivery Kindle Fire was stolen by a Post Office employee. He was found out through other investigations. Other people's items plus the All New Kindle Fire I had bought for my grandson were found. A court case is to take place.

This is the most perfect case for a Kindle Fire HD 7" Previous Generation. I bought one when I got my first Previous Generation Kindle 7" bought new from Amazon. I really appreciate the holding strap and I loved the case then and I still do. I bought the larger version too for my 8.9" which I use as a personal TV - I don't think the larger size is still available.

When I received my cash back from Paypal I used it to buy a refurbished 32mb Kindle Fire HD 7" off Amazon and I bought the same Poetic case for that one, luckily they are still available.

Poetic HardBack Protective Case for Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet Black (Automatically Wakes and Puts the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet to Sleep)(Intergrated HandStrap)(Has Open Slot for Charger Port)(3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)

It has a three year warranty and would look just as good in a board meetings as in general use. You put the tablet in it's "tray" which you then turn to the position you want.

When you have finished with the tablet you'll find the "Go to Sleep when closed" works well as long as you ensure the connection sockets peep out through the cut out in the spine of the holder.

If you have the tray turned the other way with Kindle in the tray but with the connection sockets not visible through the cut out then the "Go to Sleep" function will not work and your Kindle Fire stays ON. If I am not going to use my for several days I turn it OFF and leave the tray turned so that the connection sockets are inside the case and not open to dust.

Just a pity that the case does not have 180 degree rotation but the case with Kindle inside will fit on the Amazon Basic stand so you can read or view portrait style.

AmazonBasics Portable Fold-Up Travel Stand for iPad 4, iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 7.0, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Touch (Black)

You can use the stand for photographs or any thing else. It is very adaptable.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2014 14:44:12 BDT
ScattyMe says:
did you report it to the police though as if they have scammed you they probably have done to others so report it.
PLEASE> we all know what happens when things do NOT get recorded as a crime. lets start the fight back NOW>
Good luck

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 14:47:59 BDT
ScattyMe says:
with regards to the stand does anyone know if there is one for the original Kindle as I like to read in the bath and now I have a bath rack I can risk putting my kindle on that if there is a stand for it that would hold it so I could read.
I too had one of those vouchers but have not received an email to say it is in stock which was promised. so are they now in stock? best go look
Thank you all for the info.

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 16:24:15 BDT
Joy B says:
thanks K.A. Newton for tips about the case. Unfortunately this person did not have paypal, not the first time I have met with this. And to be honest I bought my paperwhite kindle under similar circumstances plus many other items over the years. All arrived without problems. But this person promised to post the next day, then she said the day after and I had no replies from her over the next 36 hours. So I texted my niece and asked her to inquire if the ipad was still available. When she got an immediate reply that yes it was still available, I knew it was a scam.
@ ScattyMe. Immediately after that I contacted Gumtree ( I then found out they are also owned by Ebay !!) on the advice line. They sent me a long form by email to fill in and return. This has gone to the fraud squad and I have said I am happy to talk to them directly. I was offered counselling but of course the chances of getting a refund are minute.
My son sent her a very strong text and we got one back. She insists it was posted, but has declined to give details of the postage receipt etc. Since then she is ignoring any further contact. I feel the fact that she was ready to sell it to someone else 4 days after receiving my money speaks for itself.

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 16:34:04 BDT
ScattyMe says:
oh so sorry but at least the police can look into it and Gumtree should too. goodness knows how many she has scammed already.
HUGS

Posted on 3 Sep 2014 00:43:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Sep 2014 01:34:13 BDT
Little Egret says:
Ho ho ho.

Amazon Logistics tracking report

We're sorry. Unfortunately your parcel was lost in transit. Please contact Amazon.co.uk for next steps

And I have just finished a chat to have another one sent.

And of course the guy didn't read what was in front of him so the email read
==
Unfortunately, at the moment, "Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD [Previous Generation]" is currently out of stock and we can't send a replacement.

You can check this by visiting the following link:

Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]
==

Suggestions ?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2014 04:46:01 BDT
@Little E: That is rather infuriating :(

In the event that Amazon say that they will just cancel the order and refund is it worth considering taking out the extended warranty on the basis that covers replacement in the event of loss? Not sure it's much of an idea, but it's really rather upsetting to be anticipating arrival and then have it all dashed at the last moment ;(

Hope you do get a positive result <crosses paws>

Posted on 3 Sep 2014 08:24:12 BDT
ScattyMe says:
seems strange that the replacement got 'lost' too.
makes me wonder what might be going on in the system somewhere, whether AMazon or en route.
It needs investigating.
either that or they ran out and wanted to cover their tracks that way.
I think they should send you a non refurbed one as 'compensashun!'

Posted on 3 Sep 2014 08:30:24 BDT
Jo says:
That seems rather unfair and that's putting it mildly. I hope you get one too.

Posted on 3 Sep 2014 09:18:37 BDT
Joy B says:
fingers crossed for you. mine has come, it is ok but I am finding it very small compared with my ipad. I did know what the measurements would be, but using it is a different matter.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2014 12:16:55 BDT
DaveyH says:
You can check this by visiting the following link:

Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]
==

Suggestions ?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Shows In Stock when I click the link, maybe speak to them again (I even put one in my basket).

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2014 14:29:36 BDT
Little Egret says:
Thank you for the tip. That's the benefit of these discussion forums - I probably wouldn't have looked until tomorrow.

No, ScattyMe this was the original that was lost.

I have just had a conversation (I requested Amazon call me) and another refurbished Kindle will be sent first class and an email to confirm.

They also noted that the 'lost' Kindle will be marked by serial number so it can't be used with Amazon.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on 3 Sep 2014 14:55:01 BDT
huzzah!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  28 Aug 2014
Latest post:  6 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions