Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Downloading books to one device

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jan 2014 15:13:50 GMT
Macey says:
Daughter has kindle hd fire registered to my account. I have an Ipad with kindle app. When I download a book from amazon it goes to both devices even though I specifically request that it is downloaded to the Ipad. Any suggestions please

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 15:54:14 GMT
ChrisJ says:
I doubt if it does go to both devices. If it did, your's would be the only Kindle and account that works that way. Possible, but unlikely.

What happens is that as both devices are registered to the same account, when you buy a book it is available to both devices. It is listed in the Cloud tab. The book is sent to just one device (the one you specify) and is available in the Cloud tab on any other devices registered to your account, so they can easily download it without having to pay again.

You ask for suggestions?
Do you not want your daughter to see what is in your account? In which case you will need to create her a new account.
Or do you not want her to download the books? In which case Parental Controls or the Free Time app are what you want.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 16:09:47 GMT
Macey says:
Thanks for the reply. It's defiantly on both devices and from what your saying it is something to do with the cloud. I think the easiest thing to do is set my daughter up with her own account. Would I have to register the kindle to her account and if so how ? Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 16:19:36 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Not everything shown on the Carousel of the Fire are actually on the Device. On mine, the vast majority are only in the Cloud.

To see what books are on the Kindle you need to go into Book and Device. I only have 4 books on my Fire but hundreds of them listed on the Carousel.

If those books are on the Fire they've either been sent from Manage Your Kindle or downloaded by tapping on the cover, either on the Carousel or the Cloud tab of Books.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 16:28:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2014 16:29:39 GMT
ChrisJ says:
My daughter is late 20's: and is very happy sharing our books and therefore our Amazon / Kindle account.
If your daughter is under 10: then she should probably be on your account under your close supervision.
In the intervening years:! It can be sensible to set them up with their own accounts.

You can create this at Amazon for them (create them a useful email address at www.outlook.com first), register your credit card, buy a gift voucher, then delete your CC details.
It is still a good idea to put Parental Controls or use the Free Time app on this account before you hand it over to her. You need to hand over both the password for Amazon and a different one for her email account - both of which are vital and need to be remembered!

((But, as Denis says, the books are not on both devices. Only the book cover is shown on the carousel of the second device. The contents of the book are not downloaded until you click on it, and if Parental Controls are turned on you cant download it)).

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 16:41:02 GMT
Macey says:
Thanks Chris. The book is defiantly on the device so it would seem I have done it through manage my kindle,. What do I need to do to change it?
My daughter is 11 so may well set her up on her own account. Thanks again.

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 18:44:20 GMT
ChrisJ says:
The book might well be on the device by now. Clicking on it on the carousel will download it for you. Nice and quick and easy.

To delete it / remove it from the device, just do a long hold on the book title.
If you don't want it to be downloaded in the future, then you need to turn on Parental Controls.
Or set up a new account and set Parental Controls on that.

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 19:04:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jan 2014 19:07:13 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
As she is eleven I'd start a new Amazon account for her. Start it with your card and buy a couple of small things. Then remove your card. You can then finance the account with Amazon gift vouchers. - either on-line from your account to hers (using your card to buy them on your account) - you just type the e-mail address used for her Amazon account as recipient - or shop or store bought ones - you can even buy them at Sainsburys - they have a code printed in them and you just type the code into HER accounts page when you apply the certificate. You choose the value.

To start a new account - You'll need a different e-mail address from the one you use for your Amazon account. A Google one will do - you'll also need to think of a password for reading mail in the the Google mail box that Amazon will send to you.

You just have to remember to sign out of either account. So that when you are going to buy something you sign into the right account. Don't tell your daughter the new Amazon password. You will also need to set up parental controls on her Kindle Fire to stop her from connecting to WiFi without you being there for a couple of years longer.

When she is mature enough you can let her deal with the account herself.

One thing - Kindle Fires REMEMBER any passwords you might type in and they are shown as ********** but she can just click GO to bypass it. You need to set the Kindle Fire to NOT REMEMBER the passwords of any websites.

Once you deregister her Kindle Fire from your account - it will disconnect from your account and card details - it will lose all her media, books music etc., all her games levels as they are all based on your account.

Posted on 2 Jan 2014 22:30:45 GMT
Macey says:
Thanks for the replies. Is there anyway I can put things in the "cloud" so that if I do due register her account I can get all the books back. Just worried as she has about 25 books .

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2014 22:56:59 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
No, sorry.

The books are not lost they will remain on the account that they were bought by. Once her Kindle device is registered to another account she'll lose access to the books on the first account.

How much have those 25 books cost you ? If she has special favourites amongst the you could rebuy say 5 of them. I bet she won't be bothered about the others. She will mentally outgrow them soon anyway. If she is desperately unhappy you could let her read one or two of them on your Ipad.

I bet if you explain she is to have an account of her own and she has to choose 5 of the books to be rebought and give her some time to read a couple of the others. Like I said she'll outgrow the stories anyway before she gets much older.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2014 19:25:06 GMT
Macey says:
Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  2 Jan 2014
Latest post:  3 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions