Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Disatrous Holiday

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jul 2012 06:54:41 BDT
Don't get me wrong 17 days of sunshine and no clouds in Greece is much better than you lot have been experiencing in UK but after 8 days my Kindle died.

First, it needed rebooting and then it lost all the collections. This happened just after subscribing to a free copy of the Guardian. Finally after many charges and rebooting, it died completely which made me very jealous of my wife finishing book after book.

Luckily I did have an i phone which I could read but not on the beach because of glare.

I will get onto CS today but I do not hold out much hope. It is my second KK 3g, the first suffered similar faults.

Given that I might have to purchase a replacement, has anybody any recommendations on which model of Kindle it should be?

Many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 06:56:56 BDT
Suze says:
Robin, I got the new Touch, and quality wise it is a world apart. I'm really impressed with it after being less than impressed with the keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 07:24:44 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Robin, do you by any chance have a lot of books on your KK? I believe that was the reason mine stopped working quite recently, but connecting it to my Laptop and removing the bulk of the books has it working as good as new. I can't say if it was simply connecting it to the computer, removing the books or just coincidence that cured the problem but my money is on the number of books causing the problem as that's been reported by many people. It's worked perfectly for the last couple of months - not even one freeze.

If you do decide to get a different model I can echo Suze's endorsement of the Touch, but as all three current models have unique features I think only you can decide which best suits your needs. The KK is the only model where the 3G allows you to visit any website or check emails. The Touch 3G is limited to Amazon and Wikipedia, although via wifi you can connect to any website. I think £60 extra is too much for 3G on the Touch, but I have no need of it. Others may well think it's good value for an otherwise free service.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 08:20:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jul 2012 08:24:34 BDT
Fi esta says:
Edited this post out - as it was double-posted.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 08:22:51 BDT
Fi esta says:
After having different types of problems with my kk wifi (battery and casing cracks) and having it replaced at about the 10 month stage, I decided to buy the touch and a 3 year extended warrenty...I would hate to be unlucky and have a kindle die just out of warrenty.
Very pleased with my touch, as Dennis says different people have different requirements, but the touch fits mine...
Sorry this happened to you on holiday...I took my old one as well when I went away, talk about paranoid...

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 10:08:05 BDT
Gelcam says:
I am on my 4th Kindle. I had problems similar to yours and have found that the first 3 had problems after using the internet. My 4th i have not used the internet on it and decided that i use the internet on a computer and as the KK is experimetal with the internet i will leave it alone, books i download obviously but nothing else.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 10:12:14 BDT
Kelp Bed says:
Rocking Robin
Can recommend the "Touch"..
Had it since April. It has a faster processor than my previous KK3g

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 10:23:19 BDT
Lisa says:
I have the Touch wifi not 3G as I never used 3G on my KK. I love the touch and if this one had a problem wouldnt hesitate getting another.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 15:16:11 BDT
anne says:
I've always thought whats the point of upgrading to a touch if I have a K3 but after having a short play with one recently I am well impressed with the touch and may even buy one soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 16:09:25 BDT
Denis - I think we had a discussion on this sometime ago and I too removed a lot of books from my kindle and also reduced my collections and since then have not had any freezing problems which made me believe you could be right.

However I have been on a bit of a '1-click spree' lately and my book count has gone up to almost what it was, but as yet no freezing so I am beginning to wonder if that really is the reason.

When you consider Amazon say in their promotion for kindle keyboard 'Carry up to 3,500 books--keep your library with you wherever you go' - then the amount of books shouldn't really cause problems.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 16:15:31 BDT
Nurrie says:
Could be a file of one of those books many books was slightly corrupted/not saved properly, effecting the kindle? Can kindles get virus?

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 16:23:54 BDT
J. Keegan says:
my kindle froze and stopped working after only 2 mths, i bought this off e-bay and the seller is sending me a new one, i know this is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if i can retrieve the books from the original kindle, as i was in the middle of a couple of books, and i am abit gutted about this! ( won't say wat books they r, needless to say everyone seems to be reading this triology at the moment!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 16:27:40 BDT
Nurrie says:
Just make sure you register the kindle to the same account you used for the other one. Then you can go into "manage your kindle" and resend it for free, or sync it and it might show up on the kindle or in the archives.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 16:32:23 BDT
J. Keegan says:
ok thanks i will try this, i just hoped someone might know wat 2 do, much appreciated!!!

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 18:21:14 BDT
I've been on to CS who have suggested that I upgrade the operating system to the latest version. Unfortunately I have as yet been able to the the Kindle to wake up. I'll keep trying but at the moment it looks like a new Kindle Touch. The wife will be jealous.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 20:54:42 BDT
Robin I realise you are on holiday but when you get home try plugging the kindle into the computer, it can force out of a freeze.

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 12:22:18 BDT
I sympathise with your problems, a holiday without books(tree or Kindle) is not a holiday but a disaster is when you didn't realise there would be a kid's club and free child places and you thought it was adults only ;-)

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 12:39:43 BDT
Manc girl says:
Perhaps Im a bit thick but what do you all mean about it being quicker than a KK? I've only ever had a KK and Im chuffed to bits with it

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 12:58:06 BDT
Damaskcat says:
The latest Kindles are faster than the Kindle Keyboard but like you I'm still pleased with my Kindle Keyboard even though it takes longer to do things than my Kindle touch. Speed isn't everything :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 13:12:30 BDT
Kelp Bed says:
Manc
And it's not that much quicker than your KK, really..
The KK is a great reader...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 13:21:11 BDT
Peter Lee says:
Sounds like it could be a faulty Kindle more than related to being in Greece - I took mine to southern Rhodes last summer for 2 weeks and the temperature was in the 40s. Even though I was using the Kindle in direct sunlight, leaving it on the lounger etc. it worked perfectly, as it did in Gibraltar when I took it there, and Skiathos, and Halkidiki... This is a Kindle Keyboard by the way which I've had for just over two years.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 14:00:36 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Peter, high temperatures can damage batteries so I certainly wouldn't advocate assuming the temperature limits stated in the User Guide are of no value.

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 15:04:38 BDT
Manc girl says:
Im still confused! quicker doing what?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 15:14:30 BDT
Peter Lee says:
Dennis - I wasn't doing anything of the sort. I was merely describing my experience with using the Kindle in hot environments.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 15:16:48 BDT
Peter Lee says:
Quicker at responding to operations e.g. turning pages, navigating menus... I have a Kindle Keyboard and although nippy enough there are times it does seem to slow down a little.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
324 8 hours ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  10 Jul 2012
Latest post:  13 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions