Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Can you create text files with Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Feb 2014 00:26:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2014 00:27:58 GMT
Simon Jepps says:
Hi guys.

Regarding the £59 basic Kindle...

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

I know you can "create notes" about the books you've been reading...

... but can you create your own separate "text files" about anything else, for example not related or attached to a book?

Please let me know.
Thanks,

Simon Jepps

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 00:30:38 GMT
ChrisJ says:
What do you mean by "Kindle"??
If you mean one of the e-ink Kindles, then:
No. BUT I think someone was selling an empty book at one point for 99p. Why? Because he described it as a note taker app for the Kindle. The "book" described the steps you had to go through: create notes. Then you could enter your own notes as comments on the "book".

You can create a .TXT file on a PC and send it as an attachment to your Kindle. This will get converted for you, and you can add your own comments to it on the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 00:37:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2014 00:38:25 GMT
Simon Jepps says:
Yes I mean the e-ink.

Oh I see... not quite what I was hoping, but sounds like a work around.

If you actually could create your own text files from scratch then that would surely be awesome, since it would be like a very basic pocket PC.

Hmm. Interesting little device. It seems appealing but I'd like to write text files... you know make notes about other stuff. They don't really make little electronic organizers like that anymore.

The Kindle's features are very attractive for work and all sorts... but no text file creation is a major negative in my opinion. Text files are so small in size I can't believe they didn't think to make it a feature.

But thanks for your response.

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 00:47:35 GMT
Little Egret says:
As noted, My Clippings.txt /is/ a text file which contains the text of all notes made since you last cleared it. Entering text on a Basic Kindle will be a pain (no keyboard) however the others would be better and a tablet or a smartphone better still.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 05:19:51 GMT
Denis Powell says:
I have a Sony e-reader that does that. You can also create drawings. I use the latter feature for creating quick maps.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 07:50:52 GMT
CBRetriever says:
it would be incredibly painful on the Basic Kindle as to type the word text would take these steps:

tap on the keyboard button
toggle to the t, press the cemetery button
toggle to the e , press the center button
toggle to the x, press the center button
toggle back to the t, press the center button
then toggle to the space symbol and press the center button

painful

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 19:48:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2014 19:50:15 GMT
Simon Jepps says:
Are those text files and drawings created completely separate from the e-books then?

I mean are they saved with your own choice of file name and completely individual like your own filing system?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 20:02:38 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Yes, they are nothing to do with the books.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 20:06:14 GMT
Simon Jepps says:
Heh that's ace. Thanks so much for telling me about the Sony. That definitely seems more appealing. Ever since "they" stopped making electronic organizers I have been quite lost. I don't need a Netbook, just something like the Sony e-reader. Cheers have a great day.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 21:02:34 GMT
ChrisJ says:
Take a look at the new 8" Windows tablets. With a touch screen and pen input and OneNote... Ideal modern notes system.

The Dell Venue Pro 8 is a great step forward. The devices with a wacom digitiser are even better at fine detailed writing, as well as using the more normal on screen keyboard.

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 21:15:02 GMT
Simon Jepps says:
Thanks but maybe you only skimmed my comments. I am not after a Tablet, Netbook or other expensive device. Just something inexpensive with text file creation, document (e-)reading and minimal web browsing. The Sony e-reader seems about right. Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 08:30:20 GMT
Damaskcat says:
But can the Sony be used for web browsing? Sounds to me as though a smart phone could meet all your requirements - though it wouldn't be brilliant for reading.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 09:24:10 GMT
Simon Jepps says:
Yes it can browse web pages. The customer reviewers mention searching Google and Wikipedia with a browser function.

Sony PRS-T1 Wi-Fi eBook Reader With Superior Paper Like Display Colour WHITE

Nah I hate fancy phones - but they are cool I' agree. An e-book with a bit more pizazz is my line of thinnking. The Sony seems great.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 09:43:07 GMT
essercizi says:
Although they're still available, that model was discontinued over a year ago, so you might need to be quick to get one. There have been two replacements, the latest being the PRS-T3 - but there are suggestions that Sony may be abandoning the e-reader market to the "big three" (http://www.e-reader-info.com/sony-abandons-us-e-reader-market-will-not-offer-prs-t3). It does look like a nice machine, though unlike the Paperwhite it's not a lit display.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 09:51:57 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Sony's software is notoriously difficult to use. I had an MP3 player of theirs which was a brilliant machine let down by the software and I have heard similar complaints about their e-readers which put me off buying one.

You wouldn't be able to read e-books purchased from Amazon on it - though you may consider that an advantage.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2014 10:09:03 GMT
Denis Powell says:
I have to concur with the comment about the software used to manage and copy books to the Sony. I hardly ever used it as a result, finding Drag and Drop worked just as well.

It's still a useful device for me and I have quite a lot of books in epub format but it doesn't get a lot of use now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 5 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 5 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 6 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  2 Feb 2014
Latest post:  3 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions