Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

cant seem to download sample

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jul 2012 13:39:35 BDT
safsar says:
can anyone please help me understand why my kindle is not receiving anything> i go to my manage kindle and it says it has been sent but nothing seems to have come>> it says will be delivered within a minute it has now been two days!!!!!! cant understand it. have only had it for a few days was given as a gift wi fi is on have charged it up to as when bought only was showing half battery when they said it would last two months> am a little disappointed so if anyone has any way to help would be much appreciated

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 13:44:54 BDT
There's a couple of reasons I can think of why a sample would appear not to arrive. One is, if you got the sample from the website instead of the kindle store on the kindle, and you have kindle for pc (or Mac or android) that might be set as the default receiving device for samples (different drop down box to select in from the one for purchases), so the sample may have gone there instead of your kindle. (samples don't go to the archive).

The other reason, which probably doesn't apply if it is a new kindle, is that you've already downloaded the sample and secreted it away in a collection - re-downloading will put it straight in the collection rather than just to the home page.

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 13:45:20 BDT
Stevie McH says:
Try the "sync new items" option, that may help.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 13:51:01 BDT
Sorry cant help with your problem safsar, but good to see you offer help to someone else Stevie after your initial welcome to the forum. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 13:56:22 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Safsar, samples won't appear on the "Manage Your Kindle" page, but if you're not receiving anything at all then your Kindle probably only needs a restart. It happens to mine from time to time.

I turn on Wireless then hold the Power Switch to the on position for no less than 20 seconds. The screen will go blank initially, followed by a progress bar shortly afterwards. It's important not to press any buttons while it's Restarting. Eventually your Home page will appear and look as if you've lost all your books but you haven't. The Kindle is gathering the information. As soon as all your books appear it should start downloading any outstanding books or samples (If you had Wireless on at the start of the procedure - but otherwise, once it's finished the restart process turn Wireless on and do a "Sync....".

As far as the battery life is concerned it only lasts for two months if you read for less than 30 minutes a day, and then only if it's the Touch or Keyboard versions. Battery life will be less if you use Wireless, download books, use the menu system, perform searches etc. I read for at least 3 hours a day so I would expect it to need recharging at least every 10 days. In practice, with the amount of reading I do plus downloading new books etc., I usually need to do it about every 5 days.

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 13:56:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jul 2012 14:00:07 BDT
Nurrie says:
Has it shown up in archive? Have your tried resending it? Have you tried restarting?

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 13:59:08 BDT
Stevie McH says:
Oh a few idiots won't put me off Gregor and Ruby's Gran :)

Apparently though, my post was the only one considered worthy of a no vote lol.....Now I wonder who that was......?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 14:01:19 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Samples don't show in archive - I think - but they do show in pending deliveries if they've not been delivered.

Posted on 31 Jul 2012 14:25:07 BDT
safsar says:
many thanks to the helpfull response will try them all thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 14:36:02 BDT
Nurrie says:
You might be right on the archive thing for sample :) I've only downloaded one sample and it only showed up on the kindle and not in the pc app archives, just wasn't sure if that was the norm or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 14:37:59 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Yes samples have to be downloaded to each device separately and once you delete them they're gone.

Posted on 7 Nov 2012 06:26:18 GMT
Nevil says:
Where do you choose the device? I get no dropdown on the book's page in the kindle store.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2012 07:16:08 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Nevil, where you see "Send Sample Now", what does it say in the "Deliver to" box immediately below?

On the right hand side of the "Deliver To" box is a little "down" arrow. What happens when you click on that?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2013 22:58:29 BDT
Was having the same problem with samples not downloading to the kindle app on my ipad. Selecting the "drop down" arrow just below the "Deliver To" and selecting ipad resulted in success!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 3 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 3 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 4 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  31 Jul 2012
Latest post:  5 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions