Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Fantasy books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Mar 2012 13:14:13 BDT
Okay, I'm a big fantasy reader & have literally gotten through EVERY major fantasy book out there!

I've read JRR Tolkien, Robin Hobb, George RR Martin, JK Rowling's Harry Potter series (yes, I count that as fantasy), Brent Weeks & a lot of others. I've recently read & enjoyed John Flanagan's Rangers Apprentice series, so if anyone can recommend me anything like that, I'd be grateful!

I also like stories about witches & vampires (no sparkly ones though!), stories with dystopian elements, elves, ghosts etc!

Thanks in advance. Oh, & I'd prefer it if they were available on Kindle, simply because I can't wait for books to arrive in the post!!

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:27:28 BDT
Knightmare says:
I recommend Harry Harrison's West of Eden, which has recently been Kindlised. It's the first part of a trilogy.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:30:05 BDT
Walker says:
The Way of Kings: The Stormlight Archive

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:34:05 BDT
Brian says:
A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy 1)

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:36:17 BDT
CBRetriever says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
Patrick Rothfuss's books are definitely worth it (think of it as Harry Potter written for adults)

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:37:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2012 13:38:47 BDT
Walker says:
The Immorality Engine Ghosts of War The Affinity Bridge The Osiris Ritual Ghosts of Manhattan

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:40:37 BDT
Chookgate says:
Authors to try:
Brandon Sanderson
Peter V Brett
Glenda Larke
Jon Sprunk
Jim Butcher (particularly Dresden Files if you want vampires and fairies)
Elizabeth Moon

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:40:43 BDT
C. Bessant says:
Anything by Brandon Sanderson I would suggest. As K. Beavis suggested The Way of Kings Part One: The Stormlight Archive Book One. Very long book but it is brilliant.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 13:48:43 BDT
I would also suggest The Spellwright Trilogy (1) - Spellwright: Book 1 of the Spellwright Trilogy which is quite good andThe Left Hand of God

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 14:09:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 May 2012 23:22:33 BDT
I second the Dresden files also Jim Butcher has an old fashioned sword and sorcery fantasy series Codex Alera Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera 1)
There is an excellent new series Rivers of London really good urban fantasy.
I like The Last Wish but have been waiting for ever for the third book
Weird Russina fantasy The Night Watch really excellent
Finally whether people like it or not I am going to recommend my brother's books
The Unicorn Crisis (The Hidden Academy)
The Digital Wolf (The Hidden Academy)
Again urban fantasy set in the midlands.

I know you say you have read the biggies but have you read The Belgariad and The Malloreon? They are excellent series by David Eddings whose influence on modern fantasy writing is very evident.

Happy reading!

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 16:55:04 BDT
AndyBSG says:
Obvious Authors not in your list would be

RA Salvatore
David Gemmell
Raymond Feist
James Barclay
Terry Brooks
Steven Erikson
Joe Abercrombie

A good alternative, especially if you like George Martin's works, would be some of Bernard Cornwell's books who has done some very good historical fiction books on things like the Holy Grail, King Arthur etc.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 17:01:14 BDT
Alien Girl says:
I'm guessing Wheel of Time is on your already read list!

(I know, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record concerning this series, but seriously, I have no idea how I'm going to live without these people when it's finished! Although I do have till January next year to wait for that)

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 17:19:06 BDT
Humourous ones----Terry Pratchett's Discxworld series. The Colour Of Magic (Discworld Novels)
Classic fantasy----Andre Norton's Witchworld series. Sorry, can't find them on Kindle, but worth reading in traditional form!

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 18:23:50 BDT
C. Bessant says:
You mentioned dystopian novels, you could try:

Oryx And Crake
The Year of the Flood
Brave New World
Divergent
Inside Out
Wither: Book One of the Chemical Garden (Chemical Garden 1)
The Hunger Games
Unwind
Wool Omnibus Edition (Wool 1 - 5)

I have read lots more but these are the ones I can remember.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 18:42:42 BDT
CBRetriever says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
not on kindle, true, but there are tons of Andre Norton books available at Baen for approximately half the cost (in some cases free) of amazon

and the Wool Omnibus was quite good

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 16:51:21 BDT
Thanks for the recommendations! Have downloaded some samples =D

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 17:18:25 BDT
Yes, Baen is brilliant, I have lots of books from them, both free and bought. Andre Norton, Randall Garrett (Lord Darcy omnibus, another "alternate timeline" series), Christopher Anvil, James H. Schmitz....OK, I'll stop now! :-)

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 17:53:45 BDT
GenRen says:
Hi Ms. K. N. L. Walker,

I share your reading tastes and loved A Sword for Hire (The Silent Blade Chronicles) which is fantasy humour, and for a series the Lodestone trilogy will keep you very engrossed with good twists and turns The Lodestone Trilogy (Limited Edition) (The Lodestone Series)
:)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2012 22:44:10 BDT
M. Whiteway says:
@GenRen Thanks for the recommendation!!! The Lodestone Trilogy (Limited Edition) (The Lodestone Series)

Mark W. (Author)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2012 23:15:08 BDT
Flumpz says:
The Wardstone Chronicles by Joseph Delaney
The Spook's Apprentice (The Wardstone Chronicles)

I am on book 3 and loving every page!

Posted on 17 May 2012 23:20:11 BDT
Isabella says:
Alexei Pehov.

Posted on 18 May 2012 01:15:44 BDT
Thank you everyone. Flumpz I have read every book in the Wardstone Chronicles, & it so happens that my father knows Joseph very well, as he lives around here! I've met him a fair few times & I'm always trying to get him to tell me more about the series!

Can't wait for Spook's Blood! Oh & btw, if you think the earlier books are good, wait till you get to the later ones! Book 5 is my fave!

Posted on 18 May 2012 09:18:34 BDT
Flumpz says:
Ha! That's great!

I only just found out about these books 3 or 4 days ago thanks to these discussion pages and although they appear to be for 'kids' I think they are amazing, well written and totally engrossing! Only trouble is I am getting through them so quickly and payday is forever away!!! It's been a long time since I was so taken with a series of books and it's good to know the quality of the stories doesn't diminish and I have some happy reading time ahead of me!

If you get the chance please thank the author for these absolutely wonderful stories - even for those of us who are pushing 45 yrs of age! I guess some of us never really grow up!

Posted on 18 May 2012 16:13:04 BDT
Ignite says:
Fantasy is such a broad genre. The Serpent in the Glass (The Tale of Thomas Farrell) is supposedly Young Adult but I loved it.
The Glass Apple and Spider'S Web (The Glass Apple) are based on Celtic mythology and I enjoyed them immensely.
An Orc Not Like Others is traditional fantasy but Darren Humphries does a good line in funny stuff too. Look on his page for more.
If you like your fantasy dark, gothic and beautifully written there's Words to the Wise: Book One (The Awakening) and Words to the Wise: Book Two (Towards Darker Climes) by Cornelius Harker which will draw you in and never let you go.
For a good laugh you need Few Are Chosen (The K'Barthan Trilogy) and The Wrong Stuff, K'Barthan Trilogy: Part 2 by M T McGuire.
Funny again, The Dark Lord's Handbook by Paul Dale. Turns the genre on its head a bit!

Posted on 18 May 2012 17:48:52 BDT
walrus says:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/fantasy-with-humour-1/lm/R6180ZD63FXN4/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full
you ought to find a few to your liking here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/fantasy-with-humour-2/lm/R173961HH5PFD7/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full

http://www.amazon.co.uk/fantasy-sf-with-humour-3/lm/R1P6TCK5KZ5FGC/ref=cm_lm_byauthor_title_full
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
83 8 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
118 7 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
334 24 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
56 18 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
506 3 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1001 16 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
81 18 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
99 28 Dec 2013
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013
my kindle won't charge 20 1 hour ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xa30ab2b8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  30 Mar 2012
Latest post:  18 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions