Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

2 kindles one account sharing with child

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jul 2012 20:02:36 BDT
L. Jordan says:
I have a kindle and am just about to purchase one for my 10 year old daughter. I want to use the same account. I understand that that this will mean she will be able to access my books, some of which will probably be inappropriate for a 10 year old. Is there any way of 1. deleting these books on her kindle without deleting them on my kindle 2. putting them in an archive so she cannot access OR 3.preventing her access in any other way.
Looking forward to receiving a response.
Thanks
Lorna

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 20:23:41 BDT
Willber G says:
The K4 (£89) has parental controls which allow you to restrict access somewhat. Check the product page for more details (although I'm sure somebody will reply with more info as well).

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 20:25:52 BDT
Li says:
I did exactly this and could not find a way around it - plus they may be able to access amazon via wifi and 'click' and buy books without you realising.... so I created another account on amazon in mine name using a different email address.

It also means that my son can add items he would like to his wish list, so if he deserves a book for being good/doing chores etc I can buy them for him. He had some amazon vouchers for his birthday so he has those on his account and there is no card registered on there so no risk of me being hammered on my bank account!

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 20:40:09 BDT
I think you can load books on to it then deregister it. Some people on here have mentioned that, it will stop said child accessing other books and account. However I think groundrules are the way to go. Tell her she is not allowed to download any book without your permission and if she does penalties will ensue. You will be able to see what's on her kindle from the manage my kindle page.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 00:32:38 BDT
@LJ: An alternative way of looking at it. An Amazon library is forever (or at least a very long time). Perhaps books not suitable today will be fine tomorrow or in 20 years time. Sharing a library could be good for the long term.

On a slightly controversial note, it might be that your son/daughter has very different views from you in the future and would not like YOU to share their books - so setting up their own library may be the enlightened way. I really am in two minds on the topic since there seems to be arguments either way. CW.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 07:33:40 BDT
J. H says:
As someone said above, the K4 has parental control on it since the last software update.

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 08:07:36 BDT
Suze says:
I do think Amazon needs to alter the product page for the K4, showing there are parental controls on it. I've just checked and there is no mention of them at all, and it is a big thing for some people buying for children.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 09:41:26 BDT
Ogsowl says:
Hi
As someone who has a teenage son(nearly 15 years old) on my amazon account I know where you are all coming from. I have an arrangement with my son that he does not download any books without my consent and any books he has have been "vetted" by me prior to being sent to his kindle. I check "manage my kindle" on a daily basis and since he has had his kindle (since last Christmas) he has not downloaded anything himself. He knows that I can see if he breaks the rules regarding his kindle and realises the "trust" that exists between us

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 09:44:01 BDT
J. H says:
Poor kid, he is nearly 15 not 5 !!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:12:06 BDT
Damaskcat says:
My parents certainly weren't vetting my reading at 15!!! Will you still be doing it when he's 18 when he can legally marry without your consent, vote, buy a house etc?

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 10:16:29 BDT
CBRetriever says:
by the time I was a preteen I could read anything I wanted and I always read all my mother's library books after I finished mine

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:17:16 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Same here CB :-)

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 10:21:52 BDT
J. H says:
I don't remember ever being censored, its unhealthy.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:24:51 BDT
Kelp Bed says:
CBR
I was actively encouraged to seek out books for myself from an early age, by my parents.
They felt that vetting, was too restraining and restrictive.
I do thank them for that..

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:34:42 BDT
S O says:
Absolutely agree. Read the original post and was a little horrified.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:36:58 BDT
Frenchie says:
My children, 11 & 9 have both a K4. What you have to do is to go to settings on your child's Kindle, press parental controls and it will ask you to enter a password. Make up a password (and make sure you do not forget it) and then you can set up whatever parental controls you want. For my son, 11, I have left the option to shop in the Kindle shop and the web browser, on the understanding that as I am the one paying, I have the right to see what he wants to buy. But we usually surf the Kindle shop together. I have disabled the archives because I do not want my son to see whatever book I read, good or bad, this is not his business. As for my daughter ,9, she cannot surf the web and she cannot see my archives either but she can shop in Kindle shop, again under the understanding that she can look at books but she cannot buy until I have said so. I gave my children the freedom to search the Kindle shop but if they do buy without my knowing then this privilege will be revoked and they know it. The choice is theirs.
By the way, in order to do so, you will need to check if you have the updated version. Go to settings and check the version, if it is says : Version 4.1.000 something like this (you need to have the 1) then you have the updated version and you can set parental controls. If you do not have the updated version, then go to thread Updated for £89 kindle, and follow their instructions to download it.
I have done it and I am a techno dinosaur, so, it is not that difficult.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 10:44:51 BDT
Frenchie says:
Don't worry about the comments. You child is your child and you know him better. As your are the one paying, I assume, it is your right to have a say on what he is buying.
I understand your ''vetting'' because there are some books out there supposedly for teenagers but they are crapitos. I surely would not like my child reading erotica. But if they do so behind my back, well... it shows they have entrepreneurial and independence skills and ideas. I would not be happy and surely they will hear me but hey... I have read a few books behind my parents back and it is what growing up means. Independence.
But be aware that sometimes, as parents, we forget there is a thin line between ''vetting'' and ''censoring''... Your child is 15, maybe you could start by trusting him and give him a gift voucher, he could download books that he wants and you can still check. Then you can decide to carry on this way or not.
I hope this is what I will do with my children. At 15, I will trust them not to download trash.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 11:26:28 BDT
Ogsowl says:
I am the one paying for his books- I have fallen foul once before in a well known book shop when an assistant showed me the latest reads for teenagers- I bought it thinking it was okay- it was only when a very irate ex-husband showed me that it was indeed NOT suitable for my son. The trouble it caused was unbelievable!!
I agree there is indeed a thin line between censorship and vetting and would like all you who think I am the worst parent ever for the way I manage my Kindle account with my son that I am not- he has a choice in books and for his age when so many teenagers stop reading he is a prolific reader-so i must be doing something right ??

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 11:37:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2012 11:38:47 BDT
Frenchie says:
Oh, I would not think you are the worst parent, I am sorry if my post led you to thing that. To the contrary. Bad parents are those who do not care whatsoever about what their children do. Myself, I have been labelled as ''over protective'' by one of my children's teachers and she did not mean it in a nice way. Oh well.. we cannot please everyone. **smiles**
Do you go to the Children Books Forum? there are always plenty of good ideas for teenage read.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/childrens books
edited: Copy and paste in new browser, otherwise, direct link does not work because of the space.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 12:28:52 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I don't think anyone said you were a bad parent :-) I felt 15 was too old to have reading vetted by a parent - especially as I did not have my reading vetted after I reached the age of about 10 or 11.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 12:38:46 BDT
J. H says:
Ogsowl, I certainly don't think you are a bad parent!

I'm sure you are just fine, a little over protective on this subject but that's only my opinion. Over protective is also VERY understandable........

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 08:47:31 BDT
Lil Fonz says:
Anyone having opened 50 Shades of Grey will sympathise with Ogsowl. There is not much expanse between overprotection and being too liberal. I can sympathise both sides of the discussion here.

It's not easy trying to do the 'right' job. :0) I think the fact that we're even looking at this thread shows that we care about our kids.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 09:33:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Aug 2012 09:39:53 BDT
Elaine4Wales says:
This is the reason why people are reluctant to ask any questions or advice on here anymore! I don't see what business it is of yours to question anything about how a person parents their children. How many years ago were you 15? Society is a lot different these days and even if you don't agree with the OP's way of monitoring her child, firstly, it doesn't warrant your negative comments and secondly, we all have different ways of doing things and we do what works for us, and that shouldn't be any concern of yours!

I thought this may have been your impersonator sending nasty replies, but after checking your profile, it is really you! I guess nothing should really surprise me anymore!

edited for clarity :)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 10:37:57 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Have you read the date on my post? Are you trying to start an argument? If people say how they are parneting their children on here then I can ask a question. I think your post is pretty nasty actually and I shan't be responding to you anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 10:41:58 BDT
Elaine4Wales says:
No I admit, I didn't read the date of the post and I hold my hands up to that mistake, but I don't see why the date it was said should justify what was said. Just because it was said a while ago doesn't make it ok in my eyes. I am not out to start an argument, not at all, but I am so used to hear you saying how you only come here to help people and then I read a comment like that. I knew you wouldn't reflect on your post and maybe say, ok it was a little harsh, because you never think you are doing anything wrong. I am glad you won't be responding to me anymore, no loss to me that's for sure. I don't like people with holier than thou attitudes!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
147 4 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
334 1 day ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
256 9 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
111 26 Mar 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
279 15 Jan 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 28 Oct 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
111 1 Mar 2015
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  18 Jul 2012
Latest post:  20 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions