Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

* * * FREE Kindle Books - Tuesday 8 April 2014 * * *

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Apr 2014 09:46:41 BDT
I've just got a few pages left to read before it's finished, and I can't recommend this book enough. Mine is the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation, but a friend who's read this one (Maude) says it's brilliant. If you haven't read this amazing book yet, there's no better time than now.

War and Peace: With bonus material from Give War and Peace A Chance by Andrew D. Kaufman
Tolstoy's epic masterpiece intertwines the lives of private and public individuals during the time of the Napoleonic wars and the French invasion of Russia. The fortunes of the Rostovs and the Bolkonskys, of Pierre, Natasha, and Andrei, are intimately connected with the national history that is played out in parallel with their lives. Balls and soirées alternate with councils of war and the machinations of statesmen and generals, scenes of violent battles with everyday human passions in a work whose extraordinary imaginative power has never been surpassed.
The prodigious cast of characters, both great and small, seem to act and move as if connected by threads of destiny as the novel relentlessly questions ideas of free will, fate, and providence. Yet Tolstoy's portrayal of marital relations and scenes of domesticity is as truthful and poignant as the grand themes that underlie them.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 09:54:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2014 10:00:07 BDT
Fighters Up
The year is 1940. Pilot Officer Howard has been flying Hurricanes as war draws closer. Now, with the conflict underway, he is looking forward with confidence to taking on the Luftwaffe's Messerschmitt 109s heading for Britain's shores. But his Wing Commander has taken against him and in an act of petty retribution sends him to defend Norway in an campaign where RAF casualties are high.

The Unprevented War: Why the First World War was Fought
The First World War was one of the defining events of the 20th century. It was supposed to be the war to end all wars but instead it had disastrous repercussions, some of which are still reverberating today. A direct line can be drawn from the end of the First World War to the rise of Nazi Germany and to the beginning of the Second World War, while the fighting over the break-up of Yugoslavia in the 1990s and the on-going conflicts in the Middle East have roots which can, in part at least, be traced back to that conflict. It resulted in the dissolution of the German, Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires, the redrawing of maps across Europe and many other parts of the world, and, after the Russian Revolution in October 1917, to the rise of the Soviet Union. The terrible nature of the fighting and the number of casualties it incurred has meant that the First World War continues to be commemorated today and is regarded as being the epitome of the horror and futility of war.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 10:05:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2014 10:09:44 BDT
Nine Days on the Road
In 1937 Walter and Frieda Morrison took a trip from their home in Illinois to the Rocky Mountains. Frieda kept a trip journal that is fascinating in its description of travel in the 30's.

When a Flower Grows in the Street
This novel is based on the true story of my first year as a teacher in Northwest Indiana. I accepted a job in the region without understanding the challenges of being alone in an unfamiliar urban area while trying to start a new career with little experience, uncooperative students and a cantankerous custodian.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 10:11:59 BDT
Lipstick and Lies
Rising to the challenge of a second marriage and the emotional baggage that comes with it is tough. The last thing Cass needs is the reappearance of husband Jamie's ex-girlfriend Selina. Gorgeous and glamorous but utterly unstable, Selina once stalked Cass and contrived to split her and Jamie up. And now Selina is engaged to Jamie's business partner, Ethan Fareham. Seemingly it is appalling coincidence.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 10:42:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2014 11:33:50 BDT
Thanks for 'War and Peace' Miss Annie :)

This looks interesting:

The Letter by Kathryn Hughes

Tina Craig has one mission in life - to escape her drunken, abusive husband. She works all the hours she can to save up enough money to leave him. She spends as little time as possible in the violent household she is forced to call home, even volunteering at a charity shop at the weekend to escape Rick's clutches. One day, whilst sorting through the pockets of a second-hand suit which has been donated to the shop, she comes across an old letter. It is still firmly sealed and unfranked. Unable to resist the pull of curiosity, Tina opens the letter. It was written on 4th September 1939. She is so moved by the contents and bemused as to why the letter was never delivered, she embarks on a quest to find out what became of the writer and his intended recipient, a journey with consequences she could never have predicted.

Billy Stirling knows he has been a fool, but he also knows how to put things right. On 4th September, 1939 he sits down to write a letter that will change his life forever. He slips it into his jacket pocket and, with a spring in his step, and full of optimism, he heads for the nearest post box. How was he to know that his heartfelt missive would not be read for another 34 years, and then by a complete stranger?

The Letter tells the story of two women, born decades apart, but whose paths are destined to cross and how one woman's devastation leads to the other's salvation.

xx

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 12:01:32 BDT
Michelle says:
Bloodlines (book 1) a spin off from Vampire Academy dropped from £3.99 to free!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 13:36:07 BDT
Thanx Michelle, have taken Bloodlines xxx

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 13:46:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2014 04:59:38 BDT
 says:
These links go straight in Amazon.co.uk offering thousands of free kindle books and will get updated every day, so if you copy this into your notes to keep links handy you will always be able to find free books
Kindle Store › Kindle eBooks › £0-£0
Showing 17 - 32 of 40,659Results
New Releases
Last 30 days
Last 90 days
Coming Soon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A341677031%2Cn%3A%21341678031%2Cn%3A341689031%2Cp_36%3A0-0&page=2&sort=price&ie=UTF8&qid=1359843840

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A341677031%2Cp_n_date%3A367747031%2Cn%3A%21341678031%2Cn%3A341689031&bbn=341678031&sort=price&ie=UTF8&qid=1379120562&rnid=341678031 offering thousands and thousands of FREE kindle books from Amazon UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=free+kindle+books+top+100&qid=1379662876&rh=n%3A341677031%2Ck%3Afree+kindle+books+top+100&sort=-price free kindle books top 100

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store/zgbs/digital-text/ref=zg_bs_fvp_p_f_digital-text?_encoding=UTF8&tf=1 Amazon Best Sellers Our most popular products based on sales. Updated hourly.
Best Sellers in Kindle Store. Top 100 Free
(Just keep checking it daily to see if link changes Everytime)

Best Free Books for the Kindle Fire, updated regularly (from the Amazon AppStore)
Free Books for Kindle Fire (& recent price drops)
Best Free Books for Kindle Fire, Best Free Books for Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 13:50:03 BDT
Michelle says:
I've been waiting for that one for a while! I enjoyed Vampire Academy but it's not free. Worth taking a look at the series if you haven't read it as I think Bloodlines is a spin off set after Vampire Academy.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 13:56:27 BDT
Jen key says:
Hi Miss Annie hope you are well, have got a battered but well loved copy of war and peace in the loft will now add a kindle version and rediscover!

X

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 13:58:12 BDT
Jen key says:
Thanks also to ever have taken the The Letter can't wait to read this x

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 14:01:10 BDT
Jen key says:
Hi Michelle, I have all the Vampire Academy ( my youngest daughter and I share our books) but haven't read Bloodlines yet. Now I have got reorder my "to read" list :) x

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 14:35:31 BDT
CarolW says:
B, thank you for these links. I've bookmarked this page - it will come in very handy.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 14:49:55 BDT
C says:
Cast of Stones, A (The Staff and the Sword Book #1) Epic Medieval saga Fantasy.

In the backwater village of Callowford, Errol Stone's search for a drink is interrupted by a church messenger who arrives with urgent missives for the hermit priest in the hills. Desperate for coin, Errol volunteers to deliver them but soon finds himself hunted by deadly assassins. Forced to flee with the priest and a small band of travelers, Errol soon learns he's joined a quest that could change the fate of his kingdom.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 14:53:54 BDT
C says:
Pride and Honour - The Battle for Saxony Historical Fiction

Like a bloody storm, Charlemagne's armies ravage early medieval Europe, leaving devastation and misery in their wake. They have subdued the kingdom of the Langobards, defeated the duchy of Bavaria; they threaten the Moors in the west and, in the south, the pope in Rome.

Yet Charlemagne has even more ambitious plans: he covets the Saxon territories in the north. The Saxons put up an unexpectedly fierce resistance. When Charlemagne's troops destroy the Irminsul shrine, the Saxon holy of holies, there ensues a struggle to the death. Led by the legendary Duke Widukind, for decades the Saxons fight savagely for their beliefs and their independence. And they will have their revenge...

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 17:23:41 BDT
Amber Nine by John Gardner - a tongue in cheek spy thriller.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 17:30:09 BDT
Serenity (Afterlife) by Willow Rose
It is Meghan's second year at The Academy.
While trying to help and care for Jason on earth she is struggling to keep up in school, where they this year will learn both to ride Pegasus' and fly through severe storms. Meanwhile Mick is becoming more than a friend to her and soon she finds herself facing the unavoidable choice.
But something evil is threatening the students at the Academy and Meghan is no longer safe within the walls of the castle. Something causes several of the students to be caught in the middle of a nightmare, that they can't wake up from.
Soon they realize that they might have a traitor in their midst.
Serenity is the second novel in Willow Rose's Afterlife-series. Its a Y/A Paranormal Romance. It is followed by Endurance - Afterlife#3 and Courageous - Afterlife#4.

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 19:04:58 BDT
Little Egret says:
A Small Town Affair by Chrissie Loveday
Romance in Cornwall

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 19:07:11 BDT
Little Egret says:
A Practical Guide for European Canal Boat Charters by Heather C. Thomas and Kent Christian

Posted on 8 Apr 2014 19:53:45 BDT
Little Egret says:
The Delicious Dump Cake Cookbook: 23 Easy Dump Cakes Recipes That Anyone Can Bake... Even If You've Never Baked Before (The Essential Kitchen Series Book 11) by Sarah Sophia

decadent chocolate gateaux, cakes bursting with fruit, coconut cakes, vanilla infused cakes and much, much more

MUG RECIPES: JUST RECIPES SERIES

Kain Po! A Collection of Simple Filipino Recipes by Cooking Penguin

Posted on 9 Apr 2014 00:14:39 BDT
evertheoptimist, many thanks for your post of The Letter as well, and also cheers Jen key. This is definitely my second favourite book, the first being Les Miserables. Hope you are keeping all well and i've just taken the lot from the days' posts. Ta x

The Nude: full-length historical romance
Overview of The Nude: Upon my honor! If not for that shocking painting... It has ruined everything. A handsome marquess promises to repair my tattered reputation. But how can I trust him or his clever kisses when he's clearly hiding a deep, dark secret of his own?

The Shadow of the Norman Arrow (Shadows from the Past Book 7)
The Battle of Hastings will soon be fought on English soil. King Harold knows the Normans are coming, but first he must head up north to fight the Vikings. Who will come to his aid? Taking another trip back in time as they continue the quest to find their missing parents, twins Joe and Jemima Lancelot find themselves in the year 1066, together with their friend Charlie, and their wonderful talking cat Max. Many dangerous adventures await them during a hazardous journey across the country to help the king repel the invaders. Will they manage to change the course of history or will Harold fail to heed their advice?

Finn And The Magic Chest
Meet Finn a little boy who just loves dressing up and having adventures. But little does Finn know, that dressing up is going to bring him his biggest adventure yet. The day he comes across a magic chest in his grandfathers attic. Follow along with Finn as he finds out what it really means to be a true superhero.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
310 10 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
545 9 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
135 10 Apr 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  8 Apr 2014
Latest post:  9 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions