Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Free books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Aug 2012 08:26:41 BDT
ElaineRobo says:
Morning

I have a question i hope someone may be able to answer. I live in the uk and was wondering if it is possible to download free books from the Us amazon site.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2012 08:36:17 BDT
@ER: Whist technically "free" they are still a purchase and controlled by the Amazon trading rules, marketing rights and distribution rights of the publisher and author. Therefore the answer is essentially no. Regards, CW.

Posted on 4 Jul 2014 09:19:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2014 09:19:43 BDT
Actually - you can. I have 'purchased' a lot of free books advertised on Amazon US.
Look in to the upper right corner of the page and you should see a green box with 'Continue shopping on the Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk.' button which takes you to the same book on the UK site. Alternatively - change the www.Amazon.com to www.Amazon,co.uk for the same effect.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2014 09:38:50 BDT
Denis Powell says:
So, isn't that just getting the books from the UK site?

Posted on 4 Jul 2014 11:36:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2014 11:36:38 BDT
Lisa says:
I've found that books that are currently free, or available to buy on Amazon UK do show up when I go to Amazon.com, with the price either free or in $ conversion as appropriate. The purchase process takes me back to Amazon UK.

If a book is reduced price in the US but not in the UK (I have some US friends who let me know when a book I'd want is reduced on their side of the pond), the price on Amazon.com will show up as a $ conversion of what it costs me in the UK, not the reduced price.

If a book is available to buy on Kindle in the US but not the UK, the equivalent page on .com says "pricing information is not available."

So you can get your freebies from the US site, but there's no advantage because they're all available on UK and you'll be redirected anyway.

Posted on 28 Sep 2014 07:10:43 BDT
Doesn't work for me. I tried again this morning when - out of the 8 'free' books I would have liked - 4 were priced way above free. Checking on the US site there was 'no pricing information' and only the option to purchase in the UK!

The books I was interested in were in today's 'free'list and stated as '* Free at 7am GMT* - I checked them a lot before 7am!!!!

Posted on 28 Sep 2014 07:43:23 BDT
Kaylie says:
'Free at 7am GMT' If you checked them before 7am surely that isn't at 7am? Have you re-checked them?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2014 14:55:51 BDT
Bawmer says:
We are still on BST not GMT.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2014 16:24:00 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 28 Sep 2014 19:54:01 BDT
Aud1274 says:
I too have found many books on the free book sites which whilst free on the U S site are normal price when you click on the U K site.Down to Amazon I guess.It can be annoying if the book is one you particularly want but normally there are loads of free books available anyway.Good luck with finding some that you like.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2014 20:37:04 BDT
CBRetriever says:
and y'all have lots of free books that are regular price on the US store

Posted on 28 Sep 2014 20:59:53 BDT
I still find it hard to understand why "Jiffy Lube" causes Brits to snigger. It's a 3,000 (often) and 6,000 (usually) service visit. Never happens in the UK and seldom in Europe.
Just thought I'd share that, along with sniggering at anyone who worries about what books currently are available in Geographic Area 1 when living in Geographic Area 2.

Posted on 28 Sep 2014 23:58:19 BDT
"Jiffy WHAT ?!!"...

(*briefly fights the urge to maintain the true British stiff upper lip then loses the battle and sniggers uncontrollably!*) ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 00:08:05 BDT
<HUG>

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 00:16:06 BDT
CBRetriever says:
Oil change chain in the US

and we snigger at Spotted D*ck - I saw some in the supermarket yesterday and I also bought some of those crispy onions y'll were talking about

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 01:21:40 BDT
Hmmm?...I was given a rather interesting jar of Relish by a friend who likes to bring me back foodie holiday souvenirs. He found it for sale at a local Farmer's Market in Northumberland...it is called 'Arson Fire'...! Needless to say I still haven't got around to trying it out yet! - LOL! ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 01:31:03 BDT
<HUG>

Posted on 29 Sep 2014 08:50:59 BDT
Sharon4 says:
Also Gentleman's Relish, which sounds like something that might have been advertised in a 19thc lad's mag. As most of us know, it's a condiment. No dirty snickering at the back please. . . ;-)

Posted on 29 Sep 2014 10:00:42 BDT
Condiment and comestible are words redolent of the Raj; you can hear them echoing down the shaft of the dumb waiter whist we "down stairs" workers slave away living on gruel and dripping.

Sorry about that, I seem to have gone all Dickensian or Galsworthy or possibly even Gaskell. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 10:47:51 BDT
Denis Powell says:
The hotel I lived in as a child didn't have a "Dumb Waiter", or even electricity, and the Kitchen was in the basement. We lived in the attic space and had to go down 3 flights of stairs to use an outside toilet. We didn't use the guest level facilities.

My most abiding memory is of a life sized painting at the head of the second flight of stairs depicting the death of Gelert. If you were going up to bed, with a candle, it was a quite frightening scene for a child.

Posted on 29 Sep 2014 11:05:03 BDT
Little Egret says:
I think you have the wrong word with condiment (as salt pepper and mustard) for Gentlemans Relish, 42.5g

"Gentlemans Relish is an old English anchovy spread, blended with other secret ingredients.
*Strong in flavour, so use sparingly.
*Perfect when spread on top of a lamb fillet to give an extra burst of flavour.
*Great for lovers of the flavour of anchovy."

So a comestible like Marmite Medium 250g rather than a condiment.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 11:27:37 BDT
I spent 3 years caring for a lovely elderly lady in her own home. We became very good friends yet I was always 'Suzy' and she was always 'Mrs N.....' to me whenever we were alone, and when she occasionally had a visitor I would often hear her say 'the girl will bring the tea in shortly', and so I soon started to call her 'Ma'am' in response ;o>

She ate her bowl of cereal rather sadly and reluctantly every morning until she told me that she always used to have a full and 'proper' breakfast every morning as a child in the beginning of the 1900's and how much she really missed it. I love to cook so I began to go at least an hour earlier every morning so that I could make her a full traditional English Breakfast instead. To keep it interesting I would frequently alternate it with either Kedgeree, Kippers with homemade Brown Bread and Butter, Egg Benedict/Florentine/Royale, Devilled Kidneys on Toast or a Gammon chop with a lightly Poached Egg.

We never actually discussed how things should or would be? - it was all far more just an instinctively deferential arrangement on my part, and so at first, after getting her up, showered, dressed and face carefully made-up, I would serve her breakfast in the Dining Room then eat my mine in the kitchen. But I think she found it a little lonely because she very soon started to ever-so-casually slip into the kitchen and then sit at the table to join me and we would eat, chat and listen to the Radio together. However, it was still understood that I was still 'the girl' and she was 'Ma'am' in front of everyone else even including her son and daughter-in-law ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 12:19:49 BDT
<snigger> she said condiment <snigger>

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 12:31:35 BDT
We are being SO terribly British on here, aren't we?...

Which is actually quite confusing as I am Irish?!! ;o>

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2014 12:35:41 BDT
I'm Welsh but don't like to tell people. The blazer and cravat puts them off.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
147 5 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
334 2 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
256 10 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
111 26 Mar 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
279 15 Jan 2015
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 28 Oct 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
111 1 Mar 2015
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  18 Aug 2012
Latest post:  29 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions