Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Does the Kindle Fire HD give a decent read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 May 2014 08:34:13 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 4 May 2014 09:57:10 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 08:48:26 BDT
Damaskcat says:
The Fire will be no better or worse than an iPad for reading on as they're both tablets. The best thing for reading on is an e-ink e-reader.

If you find paper books too heavy then I would have thought you're going to find a nearly 10inch tablet just as heavy.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 08:53:48 BDT
eReaders (Sony, Nook, Kobo, Kindle, etc.) use an eInk screen that can be read in most light situations. They are light and "replicate" the appearance of paper - hence their popularity.

Tablet (iPad, Fire, Samsung, etc.) are lcd backlit active array screens. They are great fun for many things. They are not ideal for reading - they are heavier, their battery life is limited, the screen can be tiring for some people, the backlit screen allegedly can aggravate some sleeping disorders and they are rubbish for reading in direct sunlight.

Since you have both the Kindle Basic and an iPad I am surprised you need to ask the question. The screen on an 8.9 Fire will be bigger than your uPad mini. That's about it. It will be a LOT heavier so will be impossible for your poorly hands and fingers to grasp for any length of time.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 09:52:55 BDT
vivi says:
Many many thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I can see your point about the tablet being heavy - nice to have an opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about. Many thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 09:54:56 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Combat Wombat also makes some good points.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 09:55:17 BDT
vivi says:
As I said to the other respondent - nice to have another opinion and both have been very helpful - will just
stick to me wee kindle model - thank you very much for responding.

Posted on 4 May 2014 13:14:03 BDT
Sharon4 says:
Another thing to remember about tablets is that because they are multi-functional, they offer an array of lovely distractions to cut into your concentration the minute your book gets at all boring or difficult. A lot of people would say that if you are that easily distracted, find another book, but that that may not be a solution for you. I'm currently reading a book about oncology, and if I were to break off as soon as it got at all complicated, I wouldn't get to the end. It's a critically important subject and like many of us, I can't afford to ignore it. My way of reading difficult books is not to download them onto my iPad app at all, but to read them on my Kindle (which doesn't have email, Facebook and the rest) and keep the app for reference and organisation purposes.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2014 18:29:15 BDT
@Sharon: I have the attention span of a goldfish :( I heartily agree with you that being "forced" to stick with a chosen book rather than checking email, looking up how many breeds of sheep give angora wool, the difference between "newt" and "salamander" and what the weather is doing in Barcelona is the only way to stick with it.

Oh, look, a really neat cloud that looks just like a rabbit being chased by a gerbil driving a wrecking ball. ^..^

Posted on 4 May 2014 20:56:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 May 2014 20:58:10 BDT
tinkerbell says:
You won't be able to read outside with it even with brightness set to full. Same with iPad. Worse even with iPad I couldn't see a thing, with kindle barely a thing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 5 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 5 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 6 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  4 May 2014
Latest post:  4 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions