Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Can I watch my USB stick drive stored movies on the Kindle Fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Nov 2012 09:31:10 GMT
M. Kennelly says:
I'm thinking of buying a Fire for the kids. Currently we have movies stored on a stick drive that I attach to the laptop and drag the movie file into the media player. Is this something I could do with the fire?

Posted on 11 Nov 2012 10:01:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Nov 2012 10:04:29 GMT
The Fire (and most tablets) does not have a full USB port to connect a stick drive to. So the answer is no.

If the movies are in (say) MP4 format then it would be possible to attatch the Kindle (or other table) to the pc and drag and drop the movie from the pc to the tablet.

No idea what density you rip your movies, but generally expect 1.5 to 2Gb per movie. So expect only a limited number on the tablet (Kindle) at any one time.

No idea on USB transfer time : Wild guess about 10 mins per movie ~ if wildly different maybe someone who knows could chip in?

Posted on 11 Nov 2012 10:41:55 GMT
On my galaxy tab 2 you can connect an adapter so that you can use a usb pen or sd card with it. On the nexus 7 you can buy an on the go cable for a few pounds which allows you to connect a usb pen, thus enabling you to expand the memory. Is there anything like this for the kindle fire?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2012 10:45:11 GMT
Denis Powell says:
I've transferred several movies and it hasn't seemed very long to me but I haven't timed it.

As I've got quite a lot of music and Audio books I don't have room for many films so I've bought a Kingston Technology 64GB Portable Storage Wi-Drive and stream my movies from that. It's simpler than loading 2 or 3 to the Fire every few days.

I have a Humax Satellite PVR and I've had no luck converting recordings to MP4 without losing sound sync. They're in MPEG 2 format so I'm going to experiment with installing another Movie player on my Fire which I hope will play them. Films will be too large a file but I have a number of 30 minute documentary type programmes of local places that I'd like to try.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2012 11:01:50 GMT
I suppose that's were the limited memory of the fire becomes apparent. On my galaxy tab 2 I have 5 movies, 42 tv episodes and about 50 music videos. Along with 100 or so apps and some music anxious audiobooks. I still have around 5 gb of free memory.

Posted on 11 Nov 2012 12:25:20 GMT
Music addict says:
To pick up on Shanghaichica's comment. Has anybody tried the KooPowerŪ Google NEXUS 7 2nd Gen FHD 2013 OTG Cable Micro USB Host Mode On The Go for Nexus 10 XOOM Samsung Galaxy Note 3 S4 S3 S2 or similar on a Kindle Fire?
It would seem a lot cheaper than the Wi-drive Denis Powell mentions and is not dependent on recharging. If this works on a Kindle, then it solves one of the main problems people have - storage.

Posted on 11 Nov 2012 13:55:28 GMT
None of those adapters will work with the Fire, sorry. The Wi drive Denis suggests is the only viable way to attache external storage.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2012 16:29:32 GMT
Music addict says:
Oh well, thanks for that. It was worth asking about.

Posted on 27 Apr 2013 08:51:26 BDT
Steviedx 10 says:
I have a USB to micro hdmi cable and have plugged a flash drive into it but kindle says no didn't even recognise I'd plugged anything in any advice any tips would be great

Posted on 27 Apr 2013 08:58:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Apr 2013 11:29:39 BDT
ChrisJ says:
To make a connection between 2 pieces of hardware, you need 3 things:
- a physical connection (The Fire can not plug in a USB stick. So you need a funny USB to micro USB cable. "Funny" because it needs to be a cross-over cable as well).
- A driver on the main device that understands the electrical signals that are coming from the other piece of hardware.
- An application that uses the driver that translates what you want to do into the correct signals.

So far, Steve, you have achieved 1/2 of the first one....
So: as everyone keeps saying, you cant plug a USB device into the Fire.

If you want to be able to plug a USB stick into your tablet, you need a Windows 8 tablet...

P.S. If you REALLY have a micro HDMI cable, then that is totally useless for a USB stick! HDMI is a display protocol, not a USB stick / flash drive protocol.

Posted on 27 Apr 2013 11:17:03 BDT
nephran says:
That's told you then,Steviedx 10..

Posted on 27 Apr 2013 12:13:09 BDT
Steviedx 10 says:
Yes I'm well and truly told thanks anyway cheers

Posted on 8 Sep 2013 18:55:53 BDT
Dr. S. Singh says:
Sorry the tech is over my head.
How to I get info onto my HD Fire. I have it on my PC and on my memory stick.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2013 19:31:02 BDT
Denis Powell says:
What "info"?

Most things can be copied using the USB cable but some will need you to buy specific apps.

Posted on 8 Sep 2013 19:55:17 BDT
ChrisJ says:
You can't copy it directly from a USB stick onto the Fire. You would need a different tablet to be able to do that.
Instead, you have to attach the Fire to the PC with the provided USB cable and copy things across using Windows Explorer.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2013 20:01:30 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Chris, actually it's possible to buy a Wireless enabled Card/USB Drive reader and not require a computer. I have one myself but not all USB drives work with it - don't ask me why.

Posted on 8 Sep 2013 21:59:30 BDT
ChrisJ says:
I knew you had a wifi enabled card reader... does it take USB drives as well?? That makes it very useful.

Is it the size of USB drive it cant always read? Or the type??

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2013 22:13:24 BDT
Denis Powell says:
I'm pretty sure it's the type of USB drive. I've not tested it fully (other than with SD cards) but if I have time tomorrow morning I'll try several different types and post back.

This is what I have:

Adata AE400 DashDrive Air Wireless Storage Reader and Power Bank

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014 20:38:16 GMT
Grandad56 says:
Hi Denis, which Humax do you have? I have the Foxsat HDR, there is a firmware that you can apply which allows browsing through a browser window as well as other wonderful options. I have this connected to my BT hub and wirelessly connect with the Kindle. I have VLC software on the Kindle and can watch anything I have recorded on the Humax by creating a share to it. If you want more information, then go to this link:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=199 and search for Raydon's software. It is quite safe and you can reset back to the Humax original state if you wish.

I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014 22:02:53 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Many thanks for that. Mine is an old one and won't connect to my modem by Ethernet cable even though I've tried. I've recently purchased a new model but need my dish and cable upgraded before that will work.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014 23:48:29 GMT
Grandad56 says:
This only works with the model I specified, I think Humax has locked down the code on newer models. Have a look at the digital spy site, it has lots of info that you might find useful. Good luck.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
9 3 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
256 6 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 2 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 22 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
545 27 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1018 11 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 28 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  11 Nov 2012
Latest post:  17 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions