Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Trying to ship to the US from UK

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2014 18:39:51 GMT
JP says:
Hi, I am buying something in the UK that I want to ship to my residence in the US.....but the store refuses to ship out of the country (their own quirk). However, it is apparently not available anywhere for sale but the UK.

The store says they will allow me to have it couriered from their address- but I've checked into this and it appears to be around $600.00 USD (for a $200 item). Quite ridiculous.

They will however, deliver free to anywhere in the UK.
As I'm unfamiliar with the UK, is there any company that I could have it delivered to, and then pay them to ship it to me in the US?
Surely this could be done for much less cost, as they wouldn't have to go get it.

And if such a service isn't offered, why isn't anyone taking advantage of this great moneymaking opportunity to provide such a service? Because I for one am certainly ready to give them money already.... thanks! :)

Posted on 27 Mar 2014 18:53:22 GMT
Simply contact any shipping agent you like (UPS comes to mind) and give them the pick from / deliver to details along with item details (size, weight, value, customs declaration) and it should al be easy.

Some things are a real swine to ship - paint for instance is practically impossible for a civilian to ship around the globe. Many electronic items have shipping restrictions etc. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 19:00:02 GMT
CBRetriever says:
have you tried amazon.de?

I often find that when an item isn't available to be shipped to me from the UK, the German site will ship it. Plus there's always ebay.co.uk

Posted on 27 Mar 2014 20:42:33 GMT
JP says:
Just called UPS, they said I could send the store a label (I buy myself) and they could arrange a pickup, but the cost would be around
$600.00. This for a package which allegedly is length 90cm, depth 45cm, height 80cm and weight 12kg, according to the store.

Its only about a $200.00 item, to pay $600 for shipping really hurts.
I don't understand, as the store offers free shipping in the UK. Does it cost that much to send something overseas, even hitching it on a cargo ship thats going anyway? I may as well just buy a plane ticket and carry it back on my lap.

Seems like I've bought things from Europe before and don't remember paying anything near so much. There must be something I'm missing :(

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 20:46:29 GMT
DaveyH says:
If you actually said what it was somebody may have more of a clue. As CW posted some things are really 'difficult' to ship.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 20:57:38 GMT
Damaskcat says:
It is very expensive to send anything as heavy as 12 kg abroad from the UK.

Posted on 27 Mar 2014 21:18:17 GMT
JP says:
I'm not at all sure its 12 kg, that seems awful heavy. I suspect the store may be giving me the run around since they 'don't ship things overseas as a policy'. They finally caved and said I could have it couriered if I like and then gave me those dimensions and weight.
Could be they sent me on a suicide mission just to make me go away......

Posted on 27 Mar 2014 21:52:17 GMT
JP says:
Oh sorry. Its a tortoise statue, made of resin. It measures about 65 cm X 40 cm

Posted on 28 Mar 2014 04:03:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2014 04:07:43 GMT
JP says:
I'm not buying this however. Design Toscano for example is selling a resin statue that is more than twice the size of this one, and they are shipping it all the way from China. Their shipping cost is $49.00..... a far cry from $600.00. And theirs weighs a whopping 57 lbs, about twice as much:

http://www.designtoscano.com/product/grand-scale+the+galapagos+tortoise+statue+-+ne80124.do

So is it just that shipping items out of the UK just plain costs about 12 times the cost as from China, even though the distance is about 1/10th as far?
I've never been a math whiz... but I can see something isn't adding up.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 06:38:36 GMT
CBRetriever says:
Try a company other than UPS, but it's not cheap to arrange shopping out of the UK. We just had a bicycle shipped from Leeds to Paris and it cost around 120 and that was because the shopping company had to drive to the seller's, box the bike, fill out all the paperwork (simpler in our case because it was being shipped within the EU), ship the item, have it pass through customs and then arrange delivery on our end

have you tried purchasing the item directly from the manufacturer?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 08:12:57 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Yes - it probably is that much different!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 19:09:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2014 19:13:05 GMT
JP says:
They won't reveal who the manufacturer is they get it from, and I don't know how to find out. Undoubtedly it is a Chinese contractor/factory, everthing comes from there now (I don't think resin statues are made anywhere else now). Begging was of no use, they refused to disclose their secret source.
Never mind the irony that this was probably already freighted to the UK from China, and could just as easily go to my address from the manufacturer as theirs.

Nevertheless.....Surely if a bike can be shipped from UK for $120, a meansly turtle statue should ship for less than $600. Anyway if anyone knows of a low cost alternative where the store could ship to in the UK, who would then ship it overseas please let me know I'll certainly try it been searching the internet to no use. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 19:18:19 GMT
CBRetriever says:
why don't you post a link to this item and maybe someone can find it for you elsewhere

Posted on 28 Mar 2014 19:49:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2014 19:50:48 GMT
JP says:
Sure, here it is:

http://www.gardensite.co.uk/Vivid_Arts_Real_Life_Giant_Tortoise_Resin_Garden_Ornament.htm

Stock number is XRL-GTRT-A.

Its sold in garden stores all over the UK. All of them I've contacted refuse to ship it to the US for one reason or another. Mostly I can only think just because I want to buy it....
Honestly I think this must be a cultural thing with UK, I dont know. I've never had so much difficulty trying to give someone $300.00 cash. I even offered to pay shipping and insurance myself. I can't see any American corporation refusing that much money lol.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 20:09:06 GMT
CBRetriever says:
is this it?

http://www.designtoscano.com/product/grand-scale+the+galapagos+tortoise+statue+-+ne80124.do?sortby=bestSellers&refType=&from=fn

and this is the company that makes the one you want and it is a UK company (there's a contact us link on their webpage)

http://www.vividarts.co.uk/

Posted on 28 Mar 2014 20:14:35 GMT
CBRetriever says:
and here's one on amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/Real-Life-Riesenschildkr%C3%B6te-Size-Large/dp/B008JZ7Y0C/ref=sr_1_63?ie=UTF8&qid=1396037411&sr=8-63&keywords=%22vivid+arts%22

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 20:44:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2014 22:34:43 GMT
JP says:
content removed

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 21:10:50 GMT
CBRetriever says:
well, the best of luck to you

Posted on 28 Mar 2014 22:39:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2014 22:41:34 GMT
fwh says:
Couple of years ago our son, an Artist, was Artist in Residence at http://burtonwoodandholmes.com/ in Chicago. The project which he undertook over the three months was this.

http://rjameshealy.blogspot.co.uk/

When he returned to the UK he arranged for it to be shipped back here. Cost of doing so, including taxes was over $1,500. Something he made himself. You are asking for a smaller item made in China. The fact it is sold in the UK does not matter. Perhaps you need to get a breakdown of the cost. It may well be that the item is subject to large import duties due to its ountry of origin, not the UK but China that pushes up the cost. Does nobody in the USA manufacture/import these things?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 22:45:19 GMT
JP says:
The UK stores all claim they refuse to ship it to the USA mainly because it is fragile. Yet when I offer to pay for shipping insurance, they say, "no thank you" and pull their shade down.
Very odd.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2014 23:02:10 GMT
You need to examine what US trade and financial sanctions are currently in place. - especially duties and taxes. Nobody will ship anything that goes anywhere near the regulations. If in the slightest doubt, or do not know, it isn't done.

Posted on 29 Mar 2014 08:03:16 GMT
Doublell says:
If the tortoise is fragile and heavy it may have to be packed in a large box containing an ample quantity of protective material. The size of the box may contribute towards the shipping cost.

My wife has a number of hollow plastic garden animals and they are fragile. I've filled them with expanded polystyrene to give them some added strength.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
82 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
269 11 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 27 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 Jul 2014
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
551 9 hours ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1018 17 Jul 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 4 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  27 Mar 2014
Latest post:  29 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions