Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Amazon ordering me what to have in my library

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Dec 2013 11:31:20 GMT
P. B. Stacey says:
Anyone else had foreign language, or even foreign pbulished dictionaries put into their library, and can`t delete them?

I am furious with Amazon, I mailed them, and they said, they are free!!

duh!! sooo!!! and no you can`t delete them... double duh!

and am furious,,, is it my library, or Amazons library..

why aren`t I allowed to delete them. ?

I am seriously thinking of leaving Amazon altogether...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 11:44:41 GMT
Denis Powell says:
You have a computer - do you only have the files you want on it or do you allow Windows to have some that you never use. Are you furious that Windows includes many fonts that you never use? Do you delete those you don't want?

This is pretty much the same. These files support the languages the Kindle is capable of working in. Ignore them and they'll move down the list in Manage Your Kindle. I wouldn't know where they are on my list.

But, if it bothers you so much then by all means close your account with Amazon.

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 11:44:46 GMT
Suze says:
We've all got them and they don't need to go on the kindle itself and don't take any space up. Just ignore them like the rest of us do.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 13:10:15 GMT
Lucy Lou says:
Furious eh? Heaven forbid if anything of real worth were to happen then! You'd go ballistic over a spelling mistake!

Calm down deary, you're not being forced to read them. Are you this annoyed if you've got extra TV channels you don't watch?

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 13:11:21 GMT
CBRetriever says:
aha, y'all are starting to get the locked dictionaries too!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 13:16:35 GMT
Why have you only just noticed them?

Please close the door on the way out.

(Please book an ambulance before you look at the files on your Kindle - you probbaly won't survive to tell the tale otherwise)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 13:18:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2013 13:43:06 GMT
No idea. I rarely look at stuff in Manage My Kindle. Then only to delete a book. If I can be bothered.
Besides, there are at least 400 pages of unwanted user guides and dictionaries to wade through as a disincentive.

edit: Just been to have a look at Manage My Kindle out of curiosity. No new dictionaries that I can see. But then I never deleted the old ones so perhaps I don't need them.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 13:41:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2013 13:42:16 GMT
Sandy M says:
Denis, great reply, even better than your usual high standard!

<EDIT>P.S. No sarcasm, I mean it!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 13:55:23 GMT
CBRetriever says:
I only found them because I was looking for a specific author, typed in buch (Col Buchanan) and the returned listings had the Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch (German Edition) in it and one had, in bright red letters, Free Dictionary in front of it (I seem to have two of these and the other one predates Dec 2011) plus I have 5 user guides with no indication as to which kindle they go to (I only have 3 e-ink kindles, so I have at least two unnnecessary ones)

I'm inclined to believe the November 2011 ebooks (Dictionary and user guide) are for the basic Kindle
the April 2012 is for the Kindle Touch
June 2012??
November 2012 = Paperwhite plus another dictionary on the same date with the red label on that one
January 2013??

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 13:59:11 GMT
CBRetriever says:
surely the 00 is meant as sacasm - 4 pages is about all I have but they're scattered

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 14:37:44 GMT
Elaine4Wales says:
Some people are so easily irritated these days! When you put things into perspective, it really is a small and inconsequential issue. There are a lot worse things you could be worrying about than a few unwanted dictionaries!

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 15:40:40 GMT
Ray says:
One mans meat etc springs to mind.....we ALL differ in our likes and dislikes....live and let live I say.....

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 16:22:11 GMT
The Fool says:
I dislike them too and find them a pain to delete because the MYK page has to refresh each time. I also wish we could just select to opt in or out of them, but it doesn't drive me crazy. Really, not a huge deal. I find it takes me about five to ten mins max to weed them out and get rid of them. In comparison with what Amazon make easy for me, that little hassle is no big deal...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 16:52:29 GMT
Denis Powell says:
You realise that if you delete them they'll come back with the next update?

Leave them alone and they gradually get replaced by new purchases.

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 17:28:00 GMT
Dam I never noticed until you brought the subject up, know I'll be forever seeing them and getting right annoyed :D)

CBR just noticed you are a 'Kindle Forum Pro' - congrats !

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 17:39:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Dec 2013 17:41:51 GMT
CBRetriever says:
how'd that happen?

I must have logged in with my US credentials - nope, it's my French account I'm using

and yes, I am a kindle Forum Pro over at amazon.com (our Denis would be one if you had the program in the UK) - it's ust a fancy badge recognising our expertise and an email address for the US Kindle Forums Mods. No money, no perks, etc, just a little stroke of the ego

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 17:44:02 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
Where do you think that your Kindle gets its information on what a foreign phrase means or the meaning of an English word you have not seen before. The Kindle certainly does not have all these phrases and words listed in it files - No, they are all in these dictionaries.

The dictionaries are there for a purpose.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 17:52:03 GMT
Denis Powell says:
No he wouldn't be Forum Pro. I think it's a good idea in principle as it helps to know which posters you can rely on for accurate information but I have zero interest in having the title myself, or the perceived responsibility that goes along with it. I've seen the stick you all get in the .com forum. I can live quite happily without that.

I'd quite like to have the record for the most posters on ignore ;-) I think I must be close.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 17:55:01 GMT
CBRetriever says:
heh - good idea not to

there are quite a few people who would make excellent pros over there, but they want to feel free to not be polite and I've been called out a few times for being what some people perceive as rude/sarcastic/unhelpful/etc

that and the people who think we work for Amazon and want to report us to our bosses...

Posted on 13 Dec 2013 17:55:10 GMT
Lesley says:
I delete them everytime they turn up. The clutter up MYK and I hate them.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 18:43:59 GMT
It's far too much effort to wade through the hundreds of pages of stuff Amazon force on me to find the manuals and dictionaries.
Or there may be thousands of pages.
I'm soooooooo angry I can't make any sense.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 19:15:00 GMT
CBRetriever says:
but, Amazon is taking away your ability to do so

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 19:36:42 GMT
Yet another overwhelming and rational reason to walk away from Amazon and go Kobo.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 20:16:25 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
I did wonder about the "helper badges".

I think you should get a little sweetener for doing the unpaid work. Perhaps a gift voucher on your birthday.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2013 22:44:09 GMT
CBRetriever says:
actually, I think we did get some kind of small coupon, but as I'm not in the US, it was useless (it wasn't for ebooks)

maybe a 10 USD discount or something - I don't remember
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
155 3 hours ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
208 9 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
87 10 Sep 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
274 5 Sep 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 Jul 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 18 Aug 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  13 Dec 2013
Latest post:  15 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions