Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Kindle e reader v Kindle fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Sep 2014 20:06:05 BDT
after many years of loyal and true service my Kindle Keyboard 3G is finally giving up the ghost and I guess it is time to get a new one. Can anyone advise whether it is better to upgrade to a Fire and if so which one ??? Rather confused at this point at the choices available. Still drawn to the ereaders because of the advantage in the sun for reading but rather disappointed with the storage size compared with my current device. I have more books than the current readers hold. Attracted to the Fire because of the further uses. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Posted on 1 Sep 2014 20:15:44 BDT
You need to hold 5 books on your device. Any more and you are just being daft, or on vacation for more than 2 weeks. Storage for the ereader does not matter.

The ONLY upgrade from a Keyboard is to a Paperwhite. It has a crisper screen and a light. A lateral move is the Basic. It's the same as the keyboard.

If you have used the Keyboard 3G option in the past you have to elect the Paperwhite 3G - seems a lot of money to me.

The Fire is a tablet. It's not an upgrade to a Kindle ereader. it's different. It's a car compared to a bicycle.

Tablets use battery and storage - find the tablet that gives you the most fun and most memory for your money. Check if you give a damn about apps and if the tablet you chose works with those apps. Buy that tablet. Look at Fire / Surface / Nexus / Samsung / Hudl / Medion / Playbook. If you have lots of money look at apples.

Have fun.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2014 20:19:38 BDT
Puddleglum says:
I think both have their uses, but I would never think of a Fire as an upgrade on an e-reader.
If you want to do a lot of reading, the Fire isn't the greatest choice. Storage room on a reader shouldn't be a problem; there's no need to keep more than a few books actually on the reader, the rest will be stored in the cloud for you to download when you need them. The Kindle will run better when it's not overloaded too.
Fair enough, if you need a tablet and can't afford both that and a reader, then the Fire is one choice you have. Don't be afraid to look at other tablets as well though, you can then download the free Kindle app. It depends on your needs, some tablets are better for one thing, some another - but it's worth comparing a few before you decide.
My personal decision is a Kindle e-reader, because reading is important to me, and maybe save for a tablet later for playing about with.

Posted on 1 Sep 2014 20:40:25 BDT
Thanks very much for the comments - ereader really is what I want and need as I read whilst travelling every day and it adds up to about 4 hours (2 there and back again). Yes I am daft when it comes to having the books on my device - half the time I can't decide what to read next and like to "browse" so to speak ;) Also a great fan of the free books and get them whenever I see something that appears attractive to me then when I need a new book I can never remember what they are about and end up looking it up on the reader before opening. I don't know if any way to do this without the book being on the reader - unless of course you experts can assist there. I think the ereader will be on the shoppong list now. I have seen comments about another generation that may be released October with a better screen resolution - is it going to make that much of a difference?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2014 21:21:47 BDT
I really can not comment :( I continue to use my ancient Keyboard and love it to bits. It does everything I could want. I have Touch kindles because I was afraid my Keyboard would die. It didn't :)

I have a Nook to get library books out and a Playbook to watch video's and stuff - but tablets really are a bit of a faff (in my opinion).

I generally use larger font and just want to read and have no idea of fashion or status or trendy. When my ereaders die I'll buy a Basic to read by and a Fire for the Talk to Me function. I cant be doing with a fancy light :)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2014 21:31:49 BDT
Well I spoke soon enough the treaured item has just totally died so the house will be in mourning until a replacement arrives hopefully within a few days or #i will be unbearable to live with - no books - no peace ! I have gone for reader as considering your responses and loooking and looking and looking at the two there really is no need for the Fire. Thanks a lot comments really appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2014 21:49:53 BDT
Denis Powell says:
If you keep a lot of ebooks on your Keyboard Kindle that could be the cause of it not working. Although the advertising said that they could hold 3,000 ebooks I suspect the designers didn't think anyone would actually buy that many. If you read 5 books per week it would take 12 years to read them all.

Some people reported starting to have problems when the number of books on the device exceeded 1,000. Mine eventually stopped working altogether but connecting it to my Laptop and removing all the books solved that problem and now, at over 4 years old it's working as well as ever but it has less than 30 books on it at any one time.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2014 22:02:01 BDT
Sharon4 says:
Many condolences. I would be lost without my Paperwhite:-) As much as I value my iPad, reading is a huge part of my life and tablets just don't cut the mustard. They are bulkier, their charge doesn't last very long, they are a misery in strong sunlight, and they are full of distractions to draw you away from your book the minute your concentration wavers.

Posted on 1 Sep 2014 22:31:48 BDT
Boo says:
I agree with a lot of the views expressed too. I have a tablet and I have the Kindle app on it, but mainly for books like recipe books that are better suited the colour display and I only 'read' on it in a pinch if it's all I have with me. I don't somehow find it a suitable reading format. I do however periodically read on my desktop PC - I can select beige pages and reduce the brightness and page width and I quite like that - I can lean back in my chair and just flick the pages forward with the arrows at the front of my keyboard.

@ Forever reading - You mentioned not being able to remember what books are about and trying to identify them etc. I had this problem too (and I have many less books than you) but what I now do is copy the title, author, page length and book summary (and any supplementary comments like which number in a series it is, or other books from the same author I liked etc.) into a document at the time I download the book and I keep this in a Kindle format doc on the Kindle itself - so I can peruse for the book I fancy next. Once read, I delete that book detail. I know you can download the book summary from within the Kindle, but this needs a connection, where I always have my document with me and in the format I prefer. I just have to be disciplined to maintain it. I fully appreciate that would be tortuous to do retrospectively.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 8 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 8 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 10 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  1 Sep 2014
Latest post:  1 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions