* * * FREE Kindle Books - Monday 16 June 2014 * * *

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jun 2014 03:30:36 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 18 Jun 2014 17:31:13 BDT]

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 07:32:43 BDT
Sharon4 says:
The Last Telegram

This is quite a high profile title, so if it interests you, now's your chance to try it.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2014 07:35:17 BDT
CarolW says:
Thanks for this! Brilliant!

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 07:35:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 07:39:44 BDT
The Secret
1940s California to present day - The Secret carries a young German American detainee and a farmer's daughter through the life, laughter, love and tears brought about by honor and obligation.

Love Is Like Ice Cream
World War II has ended and Laird Nordstrom is returning to his small South Dakota town from a Germany in ruins. Everything seems the same, yet looks strangely unfamiliar, and he wonders if maybe he's the one who's changed.

The Most Basic Vietnamese - All You Need to Know to Get By (Most Basic Languages)

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 07:52:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 08:00:44 BDT
Who Likes Short Shorts
From people stuck on roofs, to stalkers following their wives, to weight watchers' meetings, this book is filled with oddballs, thieves, lowlifes, and other such lovelies.

The Adventure of the Dropped Catches: A new Sherlock Holmes story
Despite his love of cricket, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never set any of his Sherlock Holmes stories in the cricket world. Rendel Harris, writer, keen Sherlockian and very poor cricketer, has set out to address this.

Megan's Game
Megan Williams is a young widow living in a small town in Wales. David Rensburg is a rich City businessman. Their worlds are miles apart. But when a chance meeting on a tennis court marks the beginning of a passionate affair, Megan dares to think she may be able to love again. But when a high profile murder case rocks the Square Mile, David is the number one suspect.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2014 08:00:09 BDT
Damaskcat says:
I enjoyed this author's The Forgotten Seamstress so thank you for this one.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 08:07:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 08:30:43 BDT
Exit Stage Left
Charlie Sparks had it all. A former primetime television personality, his outdated style has seen him relegated to the scrapheap. When he dies during a stand-up routine, Kempston Hardwick is compelled to investigate. But he finds more questions than answers.

Easy British cake recipes for cake lovers: Amazing traditional British cakes

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2014 08:12:59 BDT
Joy B says:
Thanks Damaskcat & Sharon4. I had not heard of this author but will take this one. The Last Telegram

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2014 08:39:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 08:42:57 BDT
Sharon4 says:
It wouldn't normally appeal to me (I already have bookshelves and a Kindle stuffed with war-related reading.) But at a price of exactly zero and no need for shelf space, why not? It's the sort of thing my reading group might go for and given the paperback price, (£4.85 at Amazon) it's a prime backlist title. And you know what they say about gift horses;-))

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 08:39:41 BDT
Three Novellas: The Man of Cats, The Man of Dogs & The Woman of Mice
3 Novellas. 2 men and 1 woman fight for survival against one dead cat, one strange dog and one particularly smart mouse. Moody and mardy pets. Chaos and deaths ensue.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2014 09:02:47 BDT
Joy B says:
Exactly, well worth having it in the virtual bookcase

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 10:02:32 BDT
War Letters 1914-1918, Vol. 1: From a British Schoolboy at the Western Front during the First World War
Wilbert Spencer was 17 years old when the First World War began. With one year still to complete at school, he decided to join the British army instead. Within four months he was leading 200 men to the front; within eight months he was dead. Published for the first time in their entirety, Wilbert's letters paint a deeply moving portrait of a remarkable young man.

Unforgettable World War II: Aftermath of the Extraordinary Second World War
This is a short book on the aftermath of WWII.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 10:06:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 10:07:29 BDT
Two by Melissa Soldani Lemon

Four Days in Cienfuegos: The Adventure of a Very Good Cuban Granddaughter
A daughter's first time journey with her mother into Cuba to discover her family's past.

Treasure From Heaven
I knew I shouldn't have left that book up there on the book rack, among the approved communist literature. Now I'm going to have to face the music. That's probably it, I'm probably going to rot in a Cuban jail for years to pay for one second of ebullient love for this city and its history.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 10:14:11 BDT
Only the Truth
A psychological mystery. Billy Ray Hutchins, a lonely uneducated man living in the hills of Arkansas brings home a young drifter he meets at the railroad tracks.

The Silver Cape
A love story spanning the Muslim and Christian worlds, against the conflict, surveillance and instability of the digital age.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 10:17:43 BDT
Took those Cuban tales Annie love the place and have spent a few great hols there travelling round going again soon too x

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 11:21:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 11:49:31 BDT
I'd love to go to Cuba, Mrs. J. My son's grandfather, Francisco, grew up wealthy on a sugar plantation, but when he was a teenager his entire family was killed and Francisco alone was saved by hiding clinging to the underside of a truck. Not long after, he escaped to Florida in a small boat but always longed for his homeland and years later went back to try to find his family and somehow ended up in prison. He suffered a skull fracture whilst there which completely changed his personality caused him to become quite violent at times, and after divorcing my son's grandmother, he ended up shooting his second wife and then himself. It was a tragedy, but he lives on through his son and grandson and those that remember him, and even through his many sufferings Francisco always loved Cuba, his beautiful country.

A very short one.
The Peppermints
Set in the early 1920s in Louisville, Kentucky. This is the story of transitions, from a five year old girl's point of view. The first in a series of stories chronicling the early life of author Martha Rofheart.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 11:38:41 BDT
QUESTING BEASTS
Four novellas about hapless hunters and elusive quarries: THE SEA: Two drinkers in a Scarborough bar consider the inexplicable dénouement of a love-affair forty years earlier. OLD LOVE'S DOMAIN: News of the death of Alison, last seen in Paris in 1968, takes Jeremy on a journey of nostalgia. IMAGERY OF DAY DESIRES: George's search for Jenny toys with the concept of alternative existences. THE GIRL HE CHOSE: A futuristic cop investigates a murder.

The World-Famous Franky Fritz Band
Franky-youthful World War II veteran, bandleader from New Orleans, and single father-is driven to musical success by taking inspiration from his boyhood hero, jazz legend Bix Beiderbecke, and from being shunned by his bride at the altar.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 12:01:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 12:02:10 BDT
Centurion's Daughter
When her mother dies, 17-year-old Aemilia arrives at Soissons in Roman Gaul in search of her Roman father whom she has never met. She knows only that his name is Tarunculus and that he is a former centurion.

Tennis Balls & Honey Glasses
A man reflects on his life in 19th century New England. A story of intrigue, love, heartache and ultimate redemption.

Oaklane Woods
In appearance, she was not unlike the Little Mermaid of Copenhagen harbour but transported to the fictional Ontario city of Middleton. But this little girl was a spirit - specifically, the sad, confused and angry spirit of an abortion.

The Money Tree
Tom and Huck take on the Sopranos! Set in the wilds of Western North Carolina - near historic Cold Mountain - the story turns on two teen brothers' chance discovery of a drug dealers' money drop in the knothole of a tree. The impoverished boys enjoy the "fruit" of "the money tree" until they are caught in flagrante by the mafiosi whose money it is.

Horizontal. The Recumbent Adventures of Philias Switchmoat the Third.
After a particularly violent fall from grace involving a recklessly homicidal umbrella, Philias Switchmoat the Third took a vow of horizontality. Never again would he resort to the vertical.

The Scribes
This book traces the fortunes and misfortunes of a group of scribes in the late second century Christian Church.

Historical Romance: Lou & Jigger (True Love Is Inseparable - Early 1900's Historical Romance $2.99 after promo sale))
Geryn Childress takes you on a journey into life growing up in the deep South of Sheveport, Louisiana in the early 1900s with this romance based on real life events.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 12:13:29 BDT
MOUSE (a psychological thriller and murder-mystery)
It's the summer of 1976 and Vince Moody is a quiet and unassuming projectionist at the run-down Empire cinema in the small town of Langbridge in the middle of the Somerset Levels.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 12:19:57 BDT
Remember the Moon: A Novel
When Jay dies he finds out death isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Out of the Sewer, Into the Sh**
Fired from his job in the Northern Ireland Department of Sewerage, Donal Moyes lands a place on a creative writing course then discovers something sinister going on at the Grub Lane Centre for Literary Excellence.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 12:37:34 BDT
LETTERBOX
At approximately 09.00hrs on the 15th June 1996, an unassuming white lorry was parked on Corporation Street in the city centre of Manchester, England; it contained over 3000 pounds of high explosive. At 11.15hrs the same day, Manchester witnessed the detonation of the largest device on the British mainland since the second World War. The IRA claimed responsibility for the attack. Based around actual events.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 12:51:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 12:51:45 BDT
My Father's House: In Search of a Lost Past
In 1995 Matthew Carr returned to Guyana in the Caribbean, where his parents' marriage had broken up nearly thirty years before, in order to investigate the mysterious death of his father Bill Carr in 1991.

Knightfall: Book 1 of The Chronicle of Benjamin Knight
At the age of 15, genius Benjamin Knight had developed a technology that would change the world. But when the project is sabotaged, Ben wakes to find himself in a mysterious and unfamiliar land where an uneasy peace hangs in the balance.

This one is free again, and my favourite kindle tea book
Tea at Downton - Afternoon Tea Recipes From The Unofficial Guide to Downton Abbey (Downton Abbey Tea Books)
Come rain or shine in Edwardian England, everything stopped for tea. Downton Abbey was no different. But what would our beloved Crawley household have eaten at their sacred 4 o'clock institution? Recipes from the golden age of England. At the height of the power of the British Empire, Mrs Patmore would have every possible kind of delicious ingredients to draw from. Step by step through how to throw the perfect tea party - Downton Style. From the etiquette behind how to hold one's tea cup correctly to the recipe for the favourite sandwich of Queen Alexandra of the time. Wow all of your friends with these simple to follow authentic recipes, and be sure even the Dowager Duchess would be impressed by your social graces. From the bottom tier sandwiches to the elegant cakes of the top tier, we cover it all. Not forgetting of course the perfect scone recipe and its accompanying jams. So, what are you waiting for? Carson has opened the door to let you in. Let's see what's for tea!

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 13:02:45 BDT
At God's Mercy: A Historical Mystery (Jewish thriller Book 1)
Poland, World War II. A desperate young Jewish woman sacrifices her life to save her baby twins. Decades later, in New York, Rabbi Jeremiah Neumann discovers the existence of his long lost twin. He rushes headlong to meet him - but is shocked to discover that his identical twin is a priest.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2014 13:02:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 13:03:34 BDT
I'll never ever forget the sickening moment that we heard about the bomb going off in Manchester, Annie. It came on the news just about half an hour before my baby brother got married - and my poor Mum was actually physically sick when I told her about it after the ceremony - because as she reminded me later we had been sat outside drinking coffee and eating cake in front of a building that was completely obliterated in the blast at exactly the same time that it went off just the day before. We had gone in to collect her wedding hat and stopped off to have a little treat before heading back home again.

Over two hundred people were sadly hurt that day, and how nobody died in the appalling devastation that followed I'll never know, but I still thank God for it.

Posted on 16 Jun 2014 14:15:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2014 14:18:33 BDT
oh my goodness, suzy! To think you were right there as well. Do you live in Manchester or were you just visiting?

The Games Men Play
Joe Schwartz is a writer following in the footsteps of Dashiell Hammett, Donald Goines, and Chuck Palahniuk. In `The Games Men Play' he has combined twenty-one short stories that will take the reader on a haunting journey through the darkest St. Louis streets to its most rural counties.

The Voodoo Murders (Ed Noon Mystery Book 9)
The Adventures of Ed Noon, Private Eye, span over 30 novels written between 1953 and 1990. Noon starts out dirt poor with a tiny office in Midtown Manhattan (his "Mouse Auditorium") but success moves him to better digs, a lovely secretary (Melissa Mercer) and, eventually, the most important client of all: the President of the United States. The series concludes with a daring turn toward science fiction in the last two novels. Through it all, the wisecracking Noon is consistent: a movie and baseball-obsessed romantic who always fights the good fight. And, more often than not, wins. In this book a voodoo cult masterminded by the fantastic Count Calypso is trying to take over the world and Ed Noon is the only private eye between Manhattan and Port-au-Prince who can stop him.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
84 19 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
269 16 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 6 Jul 2014
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
551 5 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1022 2 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 9 days ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  16 Jun 2014
Latest post:  17 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions