Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Announcement

Kindle Touch - Now Available

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 963 posts in this discussion
Posted on 31 Mar 2012 09:21:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2012 09:21:45 BDT
Also, note that you cannot buy the $99 wifi or $149 3G versions directly from Amazon.com. Because as someone mentioned above those are US ads subsidized, so the comparison should be between the ones that ship internationally. You can try it yourself and you'll find that you are still better of buying the kindle from Amazon.co.uk.

So I have added the wifi international Kindle Touch to my cart and checked out. I couldn't ship it to the UK because you have only to buy it from Amazon.co.uk, so I chose Belgium as it is close enough. Here is the final price breakdown in US$:

Kindle wifi price: 139
Shipping: 20
Customs (estimated) 33
Estimated collected Tax: 0
Final price: $193.58

That's 120 pounds. So you are still better off buying it from Amazon.co.uk for 109 pounds. One's only luck is that customs turns out much cheaper to break even with or get a lower price than the US price. But then customs and tax estimation might be different when destination is UK and you might even get a higher price. In any way, you are still better off buying from the Amazon.co.uk. I think same apply for the 3G version.

If you have a friend in the US and can buy the US version with ads, then you might be better off (also depends on customs you have to pay). But then I am not sure about registering it to the co.uk website, so you need to check with customer service at amazon.com.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 09:49:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2012 09:51:23 BDT
Butch says:
No thanks I'll wait for the Kindle Fire (If it ever sees the light of day over here that is) for now I'll stick with my trusty old kindle keyboard it's never let me down and I love it. Although I wish I hadn't paid extra for the Wi-Fi + free 3G version as I hardly ever use the 3G.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 09:57:48 BDT
But you can still use the 3G if you travel and access the Internet (Not sure if roaming charges apply, but I think it doesn't). With Kindle Touch 3G, you can only access Aamazon and Wikipedia websites, and that's it!

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 10:23:52 BDT
CBRetriever says:
no roaming charges

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 10:24:59 BDT
Not very happy did not know this was happening my kindle only 2weeks old would have waited had i known this was becoming available

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 10:33:18 BDT
Damaskcat says:
You could wait for ever before you bought electronic gadgets. You buy what you want when you want.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 10:39:18 BDT
Denis Powell says:
L. Richardson, you could try contacting Customer Services to see if they'll let you exchange it.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 10:49:59 BDT
I remember how I felt when I bought what turned out to be virtually the 'last' new Ford Cortina in the Universe. Ended up getting free fuel for months and months - imagine that today!!

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 10:59:45 BDT
stucody says:
When is the release date for the touch?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 11:27:36 BDT
Denis Powell says:
According to the Product Page it's 27th April.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 12:04:34 BDT
Schrodinger says:
Does the new Kindle Touch have a 'Search this Book' function like the Kindle Keyboard has?

Thanks

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 12:17:43 BDT
I already own a Kindle Keyboard 3G. If I bought the a Kindle Touch 3G (and being mindful of wastage/recycling issues); what would I do with my "old" Kindle Keyboard 3G? Does Amazon have any advise on this situation? For instance, if I want to resell my "old" Kindle:
(1) Can I resell it?
(2) How do you clear it of data and disassociate it from your Amazon account?
(3) Is the a reset to manufacturers default setting that wipes the data from device and disassociates it from you Amazon account?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 12:22:02 BDT
Damaskcat says:
1 - why would you not be able to sell it?
2 - de-register - instructions in the manual and in the help pages under manage your Kindle on your Amazon account
3 - factory reset - again instructions are in the manual.

Amazon don't respond to questions on this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 12:24:01 BDT
Ok. Point taken RTFM.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 12:26:30 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Well the information is there! I would have to look it up and copy and paste it - you want the answers but you want me to do the work :-) You could have tried the copious information under manage your Kindle first!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 12:38:52 BDT
I guess it's a mute point anyway; It looks like it may not be available in the UK for a while anyway. Besides, I am very happy with my Kindle Keyboard 3G.
Thanks for the flame mate :-) Good one.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 12:40:00 BDT
You can resell it. You can de-register it then register it for the person you are buying the kindle, if they have an amazon account, or simply let them do that for themselves, and it's better to reset it to factory setting.

You can also keep it, and show both kindles to your grandchildren presenting them the pencil-thick, physical & virtual keyboards editions, instead of their generation paper-thick kindle editions ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 12:41:04 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Did you look at the product page? It is available in the UK to pre-order now!!! Will be shipped on 27 April 2012.

If you regard my response as flaming I'm surprised you go on forums at all.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 13:57:37 BDT
CBRetriever says:
and it has better than the search function it has x-ray (look it up on the product page)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 14:08:24 BDT
Pjm says:
I am really very frustrated and upset. I have been putting off buying a Kindle because I wanted the Kindle Touch, but as all the research I could find suggested Amazon had no plans to release it in the UK any time soon , i eventually bought a standard Kindle last week, and literally 2 days after I received it the Touch is available!!! Couldn't Amazon have trailed the arrival of the Touch for a while before it became available??? I am now the not so proud owner of a device which is frankly not what I really wanted. I don't know whether to return it - opened and therefore not eligible for the full refund or keep it and always feel a bit dissatisfied.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:13:47 BDT
CBRetriever says:
should still ab able to get the full refund - it's usually a 30 day thing. You might try calling and asking.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 14:14:10 BDT
Damaskcat says:
If they had announced it earlier what about those who'd bought the other models just before the announcement? Wherever you draw the line you're going to have people saying exactly what you're saying.

You make up your mind on the information available to you at the time - same with anything where there might be a new version out.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:18:51 BDT
Cate says:
But Amazon HAVE trailed the Kindle Touch! It isn't available until April 27th, which is 1 month after the release announcement.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 14:26:07 BDT
I wouldn't worry too much. Essentially the only real difference is pressing a button instead of swiping a finger. The reading experience will be exactly the same.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:30:16 BDT
Knightmare says:
Unfortunately in today's throwaway society, any technical gadget that you buy is guaranteed to be the old model from the minute you get it. You have to expect that the next model release is just around the corner and decide if it is worth waiting for or not. Personally, I am not going to upgrade my Kindle Keyboard until either it breaks ot the colour e-ink version is available, whichever happens first.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 2 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 2 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 4 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  190
Total posts:  963
Initial post:  27 Mar 2012
Latest post:  6 Sep 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions