Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

I can't afford the high price on kindle anymore!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 204 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 11:18:30 BDT
Cate says:
I get where you're coming from, I miss the days when all I wore on my feet for 2 weeks were the flip flops I travelled in. Let's sigh at the times we tried to take out our passport at check in, and leads and plugs were all you could put your hands on. I also miss the humongous bag I had to carry as hand luggage.

Those were the days, we really did know how to travel. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 11:27:36 BDT
"I don't see why I should have to pay twice for them! from now on all Hard copy books should be sold with a barcode you can scan that tells the kindle you've paid for it and can download the kindle version."

Good luck with that. I suppose you expect a free paperback with a hardback, and a free CD copy of anything you already had on tape or vinyl? That is what you are expecting, and it's ridiculous.

I read for hours at a time and in 8 months, only about twice have I had the Kindle actually run out of battery on me.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 11:28:23 BDT
Exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 11:44:31 BDT
Hippocratia says:
If you want the books that currently reside on your bookshelves for free, it might be possible if you currently own classic literature as those books are in the public domain and can be downloaded free of charge from various places (Amazon and Gutenberg, for example), but I suspect that this is not the case. Sometimes popular books are free for a short time, but you have to snap them up when the offer is on.

Regarding the USB charger and plug; the kindle keyboard came with both these items and when I go on holiday I pack these (and an adapter if I am travelling abroad) and it is easy to plug the kindle into any normal socket to recharge it. I know that the £89 kindle doesn't come with a plug, but it is the very basic version. I can't say that I have ever found that the kindle is 'ALWAYS' running out of battery: it does depend on how much you use it, but if I need to charge it once a week, that isn't much of a hardship. I would be lucky if my netbook lasted three hours before I had to recharge it or run it off mains power.

As far as I am concerned it IS user-friendly, because it allows me to read what I want to read, when I want to read it, where I want to read it and I can use the rest of my luggage allowance/space for other things.

Final thought: if all paper books came with a free e-book version, then I think the prices would go up.......

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 12:11:50 BDT
Isabella says:
I've (occasionally) paid twice for a tree version and a kindle version on the same basis as I've got videotape and DVD versions of favourite films. Don't see why I should get either free. You don't expect free tissues when you buy cotton hankies.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:16:15 BDT
Hippocratia says:
I think some people 'do' seem to expect free tissues when they buy cotton hankies, but I really don't understand that way of thinking. If I don't want to pay twice for having books/videos/music in two formats, then I don't buy the new format - I don't expect to get it free.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:24:26 BDT
Brian says:
What's a bibliophile, please D?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:25:41 BDT
Brian says:
Very diplomatic, Tarz

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:27:38 BDT
Brian says:
A lot don't like 'm 'til they've tried 'em

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:27:42 BDT
J. H says:
Exactly. Do you get a free DVD when you see a film at the cinema? NO!

Same with books, just because I previously bought a paper book, no reason to expect the ebook for nothing.

I have bought a couple of ebooks that I already own in paper versions, just because I wanted them, that was my choice.

I decided that I wanted most of my books to be ebooks, I still buy the odd paper book but not many. There was nothing forcing me to do so and I certainly never expected the publishing houses to give me anything.........

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:28:06 BDT
Denis Powell says:
D. Watson, why do you think you shouldn't pay twice for them? Do you think that if you buy a replacement paperback for one you already own that you should just pay the 40p or so for the cost of paper and distribution? (That's all many paperbacks cost in terms of materials)

I love books too and although I still buy paper editions of some books I don't think of them as costing an "arm and a leg." Reading is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment in my opinion.

As for your friend who's Kindle is "always running out of battery", if she has a Keyboard Kindle that should run for around 30 hours of reading, or if it's the K4 then she should be getting 15 hours per charge. Your definition of "always" must be different to mine. I have an emergency battery pack for when I'm travelling which increases the "reading life", between charging from the mains, to 90 hours. If I read for 6 hours a day that lasts me for 2 weeks. I dread to think how much space 90 hours worth of paper books would take up.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:28:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2012 12:29:05 BDT
Hippocratia says:
The ODE defines a bibliophile as: a person who collects or has a great love of books - from Greek biblion 'book' + philos 'loving'.

I would have thought most of the kindle forum members could be classed as bibliophiles. :)

Edit: Maybe most of the kindle forum members could also be classed as ebibliophiles.......

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:29:14 BDT
Brian says:
Who could tell you , Maria!

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 12:31:32 BDT
Jake C1415 says:
Free today Stormbringer (Apocalypse Then)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:31:47 BDT
Brian says:
Didn't know that , thanks James.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:33:12 BDT
Brian says:
Me too , mate

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 12:50:25 BDT
Hippocratia says:
And me: kindle, camera, electric toothbrush and charger for the kids' cameras; and that is not including any chargers that my OH takes.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 13:13:34 BDT
Brian says:
Actually Tig , in the days of yore , you sometimes got a fee tape , with a viny album - not often , but it did happen.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 13:18:49 BDT
Brian says:
Thanks Hip , that's something else , I've learnt today, then:-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 13:22:42 BDT
Brian says:
Thanks,Jake

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 16:27:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2012 16:28:16 BDT
And I bet it was advertised as a special offer, B??

It boggles my mind that people just assume they *should* get something for nothing. When I DO get something for nothing, I'm grateful, it seems like some people think it should be the norm not the exception...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 19:15:37 BDT
Maria says:
He did!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 00:07:15 BDT
Brian says:
Yeah , it was a special offer promotional thing , tig , which came as an unexpected surprise , and was only for the early releases. And we were grateful as you say. All I meant was it did happen , but it had no bearing on the market whatsoever. I agree with your point of view - I think we take these want their cake and eat it , types too seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 00:08:10 BDT
Brian says:
At his peril ,perhaps??

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 21:28:17 BDT
paigerich says:
@highwayman..........lol at your suggestion.

I mentioned the other day that the hunger games were available to download. You'd have thought I was the devil by mentionong the "D" word.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  204
Initial post:  1 Nov 2010
Latest post:  24 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions