Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

Why are kindle books so expensive?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 199 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 18:00:43 BDT
CUchimmy says:
The Casual Vacancy is not due for release until the 27 September - and it is priced by Rowling, and will be released on her own website. That is both the hardback and the Kindle edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 18:01:13 BDT
G. Morris says:
Let's hope this Agency model is tested in the UK courts and it is ruled illegal however I won't hold my breath!

Sorry but I'm not convinced that ebooks cost more to produce and disseminate than printed ones, taking everything into account I just cannot accept that assertion. So despite your lifetime's interest books and publishing we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

However as you say you have a lifetime's interest in books and publishing I have a lifetime's interest in not getting ripped off by overpriced ebooks :-)

Signing off!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 18:19:43 BDT
Willber G says:
"The Agency model of pricing for e-books has yet to be tested in the courts"

I assume you mean in the UK?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 18:27:28 BDT
Denis Powell says:
G. Morris, I don't think there's much chance of the Agency model being found illegal. It's how Mail Order Catalogues work for instance. You pay the Agent the catalogue price. Insurance Agents can often forgo part of their commission to give you a lower price than that charged by the company, which is what's being proposed by the D.O.J. in the US.

As far as costs go there's no reason why ebooks should less than the Mass Market Paperback less the cost of printing and distributing which, as I've said, is quite small. Most businesses spread their costs over all the items they sell and not just some.

In practice I pay around half the cost of paperbacks in most cases so if the occasional one is a little more expensive it really doesn't bother me.

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 18:34:42 BDT
CUchimmy says:
I am obviously missing something here! Mr G. Morris is arguing about the price of a book that will not be out for another 6 months. It is by GK rowling and therefore the Kindle edition will come out from her own website - through Amazon - and at the price that she wants to charge. Amazon will have no say on the price of theKindle edition, the same as with the Potter books.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 19:35:15 BDT
I think that's probably the best summary I've read!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 19:37:40 BDT
Sorry, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about - the production costs of ebook versus treebook are much closer than you imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 19:38:36 BDT
Whether you're convinced or not is neither here nor there - you're just wrong in your assumptions.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 20:23:28 BDT
Tony says:
Even after we have to pay VAT (though not if you buy the actual book!!) I dont see any reason why they cannot be much cheaper fior the very reason you state. There are no real production costs, so it is simply more profits for the publisher, the govt and regrettably Amazon. Come on guys, you make enough money - give us a break in England!!!

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 20:44:49 BDT
can i download an e-book without my kindle on Barry G

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 20:50:06 BDT
Gary Bowman says:
What did the "BB" stand for!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 21:05:01 BDT
Princess says:
Hi Barry, you can buy (download) a book without the Kindle on or without wifi on - it will just download to your Kindle when you next switch the Kindle/wifi on.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 21:15:27 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Tony, books are often commissioned and advances paid, drafts go back and fore between author and publisher for editing, artwork for the cover is purchased, and the book is promoted. The publisher also has wages, taxes and utilities to pay. All those costs are spread over Hardback, Paperback and eBook. There's no reason why the ebook shouldn't contribute to both costs and profit. If you're working I assume you think it's ok for the company you work for to make enough profit to pay your wages.

VAT on Amazon books goes to Luxembourg and is charged at 3% rather than the 20% the UK government would charge if Amazon were based here.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 22:12:43 BDT
"There are no real production costs, so it is simply more profits for the publisher"

Well done for showing your ignorance. Yes, there are real production costs.

Posted on 12 May 2012 19:09:45 BDT
Steve says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 12 May 2012 19:10:16 BDT
Steve says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 19:33:14 BDT
Willber G says:
Good for you! That's telling them!
<yawn>

Posted on 12 May 2012 19:56:21 BDT
Geordie Girl says:
I have just been given a Kindle as a birthday present - have downloaded lots of free books and deals of the day and so have an expanding library of books by people or genres that I wouldnt normally have considered reading - but if there's a book that I want to read where the "proper" book is less, then I buy that. Just seems common sense.

Posted on 12 May 2012 20:02:54 BDT
masai mara says:
M.s. Binns
I don't think it's the cost that's important..
It's the desire to have it..

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 20:43:30 BDT
Hippocratia says:
Not all kindle books are more expensive than paperbacks. Not all kindle books are cheaper than paperbacks. Sometimes paperbacks are heavily discounted. Sometimes kindle books are heavily discounted.

Books by popular authors tend to be more expensive, because publishers know that they will sell for a higher price. If they don't get enough sales at a certain price, then the price does often fall.

If you don't like the price of any particular kindle book or paperback, no one is making you buy it. If you give us the name of the book, then we can probably work out why the kindle book is £1 more than the paperback: there is usually a good reason.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 20:44:43 BDT
CBRetriever says:
or just wait until the price goes down - that's what I usually do

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 20:48:54 BDT
Hippocratia says:
Yes, I was implying that, but it is probably better to spell it out in plain English. Maybe the £1 fee is for those who can't wait that long..... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 21:10:07 BDT
Oracle says:
S Brown, why not just read the previous six pages of posts before yours to find out?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 21:53:51 BDT
Common sense seems a rare thing these days, though!

Personally, with the ease of using the Kindle, and the fact that my house is bulging at the seams with "real" books, I would give preference to ebook over treebook these days, something I freely admit I never thought I would say, EVER!! :) I rarely, if ever, come across a book that's more expensive in Kindle (maybe it depends on what people like to read!) but if it was a book I reeeeeeeally wanted to read, and there was no special reason to buy the treebook (ie illustrations or similar), then I'd happily pay for the format I prefer.

It does get tiresome reading the same post about how we're being ripped off repeated ad infinitum by people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about, it's actually nice to see someone posting with a little common sense :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2012 22:02:00 BDT
Hippocratia says:
Hear hear! We also have a house full of tree books, and I used to spend a lot of time in bookshops wondering if I could really justify buying yet more books and cluttering the house up even more. I couldn't have afforded the space or the money for all the ebooks I have bought since I got my kindle and I really don't feel ripped off by any kindle book. If I feel a price is too high, I don't buy; and that goes for any purchase.

Why do people feel ripped off by the price of ebooks, when products such as video games are considerably more expensive?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
176 1 day ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
213 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
87 10 Sep 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
274 5 Sep 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 26 Jul 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
62 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
697 18 Aug 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  7 May 2011
Latest post:  22 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions