Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

GARDEN!!!!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-139 of 139 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 07:53:31 BDT
Suze says:
Luckily, there aren't any trees or even grass near me. I live in the midst of a load of concrete, but I'll be watchful, when I move because there are loads of trees behind the house I'm moving to, and I know there are squirrels although we haven't seen them for a while.

Posted on 29 May 2012 08:16:02 BDT
Tigger's Mum says:
There's something in plastic which tastes good to rodents, hence them chewing wires. One winter we had mice in the garage and they chewed wires and hoses in the car. Cost a fortune to replace and it was dangerous too.

Posted on 29 May 2012 08:16:40 BDT
Catalpa says:
Hi Suze, we back on to beech woods and unfortunately get lots of grey squirrels in the garden. They have a particular liking to young willow tree leaves and strip ours bare each year - really annoying. I think they must like the salycic acid from the willow which is what is used to produce aspirin. I now know they need it for their petrol hangovers. We have a friend who had a car which regularly ran out of petrol - a neighbour spotted a grey under the car one morning fiddling with the fuel pipe. Addict squirrels!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 09:23:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 09:25:11 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
I had three generations in one infestation in my loft.
Every morning at dawn i thought the removal men were in the loft.
Nobody would come to catch them, only kill them and my kids were small and thought they were cute.
Someone I knew in the council lent me a humane trap - a cage.
It took a while but i caught them all and released them in woodland.
The last two were babies, Pixie and Dixie we called them, and they just sat there.
I don't think they knew what trees were.

Loki's right, they will chew anything and can cause chaos.

Edit: and they are vicious little barstewards - you wouldn't want a finger tip getting near.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 09:27:38 BDT
Brian says:
You make it sound like they're partying in there.

Posted on 29 May 2012 09:30:25 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
It was quite a ruckus Brian!

Another time we had mice under the kitchen sink and they were crazy for dishwasher tablets and shredding J-Cloths
Clean lot.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 09:44:55 BDT
Isabella says:
When my daughter was little, she had the local squirrels tamed, so I know what a problem it is to be mean to the fluffy little animals but we were told that if you catch squirrels, they should be killed as it's illegal to release them. (Not that there would have been any volunteers in our house!)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 09:54:50 BDT
I had a mouse under the kitchen sink also. I heard a strange noise and when I opened the door I saw a line of bin liners disappearing into a small hole, so french mice also love plastic. I bought a humane trap, caught it and walked a few kilometres away to release it, accompanied by my German Shepherd who was in a very excited state, jumping and pleading to be given this small captive. There was quite a scramble on release! but the mouse got away. My neighbour thought I was crazy and gave me advice, accompanied by a chopping motion of his hand, as to future dealings with mice!! I squirted some of that expanding foam into the small hole and fingers crossed no more mice. Mind you it would take a mouse several years to chew through that stuff, one press and it went berserk, looks like something from The Blob under the sink.

Posted on 29 May 2012 09:57:35 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
That's true Isabella - Rentokil and the Council said they would be required to kill them as rodents.
That's why it took me flipping weeks to capture them.
I must admit, the two little infant squirrels that I caught last looked quite forlorn.
My kids came with me to the woods to release all 7 of the boogers.

At the outset I assumed I had one squirrel in the loft.
I caught it and when I released it it ran out of sight in a straight line and I jokingly said to the children "It's run back to the house".
Next morning I heard another commotion in the loft and thought "He bluddy well has".

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 09:58:51 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
Haha - I have the same stuff inside and outside Anne - not pretty but effective.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 10:06:17 BDT
Here we have Lerot, a sort of dormouse, they are soooo cute but they create the same havoc in lofts etc., also they like to get under car bonnets and chew the wires. We are lucky to have red squirrels here, just as big a nuisance, but prettier than the grey ones.

Posted on 29 May 2012 10:09:10 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
I tolerate the squirrel at the bird feeder as they are so ingenious and "cute".
He gets about 10mins max though as he'll destroy the feeder mesh.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 10:36:18 BDT
Brian says:
Houseproud town mice, eh?

Posted on 29 May 2012 10:46:23 BDT
Four or five years ago, I woke up to a horrendous din above the hall...hubby never heard a thing, but went into the attic space to investigate next day and we had newspaper and cardboard boxes with big teeth marks on them...he called Rentokil but, because we had bats at the time - in a completely different space - they wouldn't do anything about it as it was against the law. Hubby came home from work so angry, he rattled about clearing out stuff (and making more noise than the squirrels ever did) that he scared them off....discovered they had chewed through the old plaster type wall, filled it up and covered it with chicken wire - it was just above where the extension joined the original house, below guttering - and we have had no problems since. No doubt they are residing with some other poor soul.
Out of interest, the bats were pipistrelles, we had a nursery colony every June/July - they didn't bother us, we didn't bother them - until we cut down a 90ft tree in the garden and they've never been back...upsides was we didn't get bothered with midges as they feast on them!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
7 4 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
256 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
185 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 17 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
545 22 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1018 6 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 23 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  139
Initial post:  23 May 2012
Latest post:  29 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions