Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

How long should a Kindle last? Three years, apparently.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 157 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2012 22:13:32 GMT
I totally agree that the disease "upgradeitis" is reaching epidemic status. I for one would give all the money I have in the world which is never much, go without food eat my children (no, I am only joking) to replace my Kindle. It has opened up so much of the world of books to me. Always have been an avid reader - now read all types of books except sci-fi.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 11:45:05 BDT
Don't expect your 3g Kindle to last I bought one 11.3.11 was replaced before warranty ended, replacement has gone the same way now I do not have a kindle despite that neither kindle had much use. It would appear from amazon's reaction to this that folks I am pleased to announce that your kindle is very disposable!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 06:46:07 BDT
I am a huge Kindle fan, since getting mine in March 2011 I have given seven as gifts, however I have to say I am VERY disappointed that mine only lasted fourteen months. I was offered a replacement for 50 with a three month warranty but I have chosen to purchase the small version at 89 with a one year warranty, I hope this one and the other seven last longer than my original!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 06:58:55 BDT
Fi esta says:
I can only hope that you and I have just been unlucky. My original has just been replaced by a refurb within warranty by Amazon. I have chosen, (as I love the ease of use of a kindle, and don't want to be without one), to purchase a touch, (which looks to have a more robust build) and this time to purchase a 3 year warranty.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 20:16:12 BDT
angela says: the ink exploded on mine after 16 months - nothing I had done! When I called to see if they would replace it I was told it would cost me 50 and post and packaging and only a 3 month warrantee! What a cheek! I have decided to use the i-pad and won't be buying my books from amazon! Beware! Apples products last much longer.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2012 08:22:13 BDT
Damaskcat says:
You should add ' in my experience' to your post.

Posted on 25 Jun 2012 10:32:59 BDT
Andreas says:
Or else!

Posted on 25 Jun 2012 10:47:21 BDT
A customer says:
Mine last's all night, baby!...grrrrrr!

Posted on 27 Jul 2012 15:26:03 BDT
I've had minefor 6 months and the page turning switch has started to "clck" are they mechanicly strong?

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 17:41:04 BDT
R. Davenport says:
my kindle has broken twice within 18 months, and now out of warranty...amazon will not fix or replace it. I was a huge fan but now feel sore about having no choice but to spend 170 on a new touchscreen one when I was more than happy with my 3G model, or not have access to all my books... are they only supposed to last 9 months? in which this is a much more expensive way to read... think I may have to go back to good old fashioned books... what a shame amazon cannot find a better solution.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Aug 2012 22:49:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Aug 2012 22:57:41 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
In answer to an early message on this thread about using the 20p per freebie saved in a jar, pickle or otherwise.

You could may be use a whisky bottle that has an opening just wide enough for a 20p. I have one but made a slot in the lid. My best friend's son then about 4 was to need a heart valve op when he got to be about 12.

I shoved all my 20p's in it so my friend would did not need to worry about pyjamas, slippers, dressing gown and taxi fares etc. The silly kid got better and I still have the bottle but it has been plundered sometimes. He is married now.

The idea is you put the bottle in a sack and belt it with an iron bar or something so the glass smashes and you can retrieve the 20p. pieces watching out for glass splinters. With me making a hole in the lid that and the 20p's dropping in, I may be able to empty it by shaking. a long job I know.

Should get a decent number of 20p's in one bottle.

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 23:14:28 BDT
Willber G says:
"The idea is you put the bottle in a sack and belt it with an iron bar or something so the glass smashes and you can retrieve the 20p. pieces watching out for glass splinters."

8-O
I really wouldn't recommend that!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 00:11:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Aug 2012 00:12:20 BDT
K. A. Newton says:
That's why you rarely find those lovely Dimple whisky bottles. They let sixpences drop in but not out and rolled up pound and ten bob notes.

Posted on 11 Aug 2012 13:31:43 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
I started dropping spare pound coins in a presentation tube that my Singleton malt whisky came in.
It's up to 200 and I reckon it will hold a grand.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 13:36:43 BDT
Willber G says:
I put all my change on my bedside table each evening. I've been doing this for years and I've just counted 3.57 on there. It would probably help if I didn't put it back in my pocket every morning.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2012 13:54:41 BDT
BeeJayTee says:
As long as you don't do the same with your teeth.

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 21:19:42 GMT
A WASILEWSKA says:
Does it means that after about 3 years I will loose all the books I bought? There is capacity of 3500 books on my kindle. I think I need more than 3 years to feel the space

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 21:28:42 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
We three, baby's Mum, Dad and I put all our small change each night (lower than 20p) in a pot then it get's put in baby's bank account. Nice little amount rising in the account and none of us feel it much.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 21:32:38 GMT
K. A. Newton says:
No all your books will still be in your archive.

You should really not think of putting 3000 books on your kindle. You'll find it slows down with a lot of books on it.

You could buy more or get more free then delete some from your Kindle but not off your Manage your Kindle page. (they'll remain in your archive safe and sound).

I have 1400 on a Touch going through the new update and indexing at the moment and the Touch is on charge tonight and it'll be over 20 hours before it is done. Imagine with 3000.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2013 21:36:02 GMT
Suze says:
If you delete some books off your kindle they will stay in your archive or cloud and your kindle will work a lot faster. You just need to download them again when you are ready to read them. You can have as many books as you like in your archive and keep them for as long as you like without worrying about.

Posted on 9 Jan 2013 22:31:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jan 2013 22:34:22 GMT
Berzelius says:
More than one person has commented that Amazon sell their ereaders essentially at cost and rely on sales of books to make their profit. If so, the the build standard is not going to be any higher than is just acceptable. I'd say the fact that quite a few people post about their Kindle failing not long after a year provides some evidence for this.

And what to do about it? Well, I'd suggest that the best strategy might be to simply go for the bog standard 69 Kindle. If it fails between one and two years, well you've accepted the risk so you just grin and bear it. And if Amazon really do want 50 for a replacement Kindle with a 3 month guarantee, then spending another 69 on a new Kindle with a 1 year guarantee seems a better deal.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013 06:32:46 GMT
A WASILEWSKA says:
Downoading 3500 it was just an example to point, that Amazon gives so much space and no time to use it before the kindle breaks. I don't use cloud, but let's say my kindle screan is gone (broken) and I can't use this device any more. How would I recover my books and put on my new kindle, as you say they are save in archive? I'm happy having kindle, but feel unsafe to put books into it, just to loose it when kindle breaks.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013 07:39:09 GMT
DaveyH says:
"I don't use cloud"

By purchasing books from Amazon you do automatically use 'the cloud'. If you link any Kindle device against the same (Amazon) account used to purchase the books then they are automatically available to download to that device. Other 'books' can be stored in 'the cloud' also, by emailing them to your Kindle, however whether you avail yourself of that facility is up to you.

Posted on 10 Jan 2013 17:03:51 GMT
A WASILEWSKA says:
Why some books when you read and want to check how far are you shows you location not a page number. Can you set up to always show page number?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2013 17:08:42 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Not all books have page numbers as yet.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
23 13 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
268 13 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
188 4 days ago
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
359 13 Jun 2014
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
58 24 days ago
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Kindle Fire HDX Tablets
545 29 days ago
Announcement
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite - the ultimate device for reading!
1018 13 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
87 29 Jun 2014
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
101 25 Apr 2014
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update version 5.3.5
62 6 Aug 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
693 3 Aug 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  157
Initial post:  17 Feb 2012
Latest post:  29 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions