Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > kindle discussion forum

USA or UK, but not both?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-115 of 115 posts in this discussion
Posted on 7 May 2012 15:02:57 BDT
Give him a break, he probably is forced to use Internet Explorer with no spell checker :)

Posted on 7 May 2012 15:05:39 BDT
Ohhh! Silly me. Truly? I never met a real one before.

Posted on 15 May 2012 11:51:31 BDT
I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm thinkin of buying a kindle from amazon.de (as neither .com nor .co.uk will post to vienna, where i live) but I want to be able to download books from .com or .co.uk so I can read in english. Does anyone know if I can do this hassle free?
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 11:58:05 BDT
Denis Powell says:
Gareth, .de has over a million ebooks in the English language including very many best sellers, so I don't think you'll be short of something to read in English. Try http://www.amazon.de/englisch-englischsprachige-ebooks-kindle/b/ref=amb_link_158990107_1?ie=UTF8&node=579956031&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-banner&pf_rd_r=1T50Q7BA1YFP1XY19GSC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=268042387&pf_rd_i=567135031

On your Computer you can get Google to translate the web site into English if you're having trouble. My German is a little limited so I find Google invaluable for that.

Posted on 15 May 2012 12:01:53 BDT
Ahh, I didn't even think to look! Thanks a lot. I'll go and buy one then.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 12:20:36 BDT
CBRetriever says:
I tend to shop on a site that has descriptions and reviews in english (amazon.com is good that way) and in the pre-kindle days, i bought paper books on amazon.fr

Posted on 15 May 2012 12:32:28 BDT
ChrisJ says:
If good can become goof...
Its a good job that proof-reader didn't become prood-reader! That would also be a totally different meaning :-)

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 16:10:04 GMT
Hmmm... Aww this seems bugging me, i have gift cards on amazon.com, but i really wanted to switch to Uk to buy a game so i can play and not get any region lock on, like i did when i tried to purchase a game first time on amazon.com. Someone know i can get my gift cards to amazon.uk?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 16:13:31 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Gift cards - as I understand it are store specific and cannot be transferred.

Posted on 27 Mar 2013 18:50:20 GMT
I am studying several languages and much to my confusion discovered that if I access amazon through the different pages of individual countries, there is different content available for the kindle. It has something to do with taxes I'm guessing... So, when I try to download current fiction from Amazon.it for instance, it asks me to migrate my kindle and give a new address, I'm assuming in Italy. Seriously?!! Initially, I considered getting a P.O. box or something in Italy, after all I'm not trying to evade taxes or anything, but that's a stop gap solution as the best, as I have absolutely no intention of doing that for several different countries!!! Has anyone figured a way around this, because from what I'm reading on here, your payment information also has to be linked to the country that you're trying to buy content from... Am I really stuck paying for the price of a book AND exorbitant international shipping costs on top that, instead of being able to use (what I thought was) my handy little kindle? :((

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2013 19:02:43 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Lauren, with physical books Amazon own them and, like yourself, can sell them to anyone anywhere.

Amazon, in many instances, only acts as an agent of sale for ebooks and doesn't own them at any stage (think of Amazon as being no more than the shop window, not the seller) and the UK copyright owner may not have the right to sell the ebook in all countries. There may, for instance, be a different publisher in the UK, France and Italy. Consequently, the UK publisher can't sell a UK ebook license to someone living in Italy, say, as the copyright there is held by a different publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 08:56:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2013 08:57:16 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with e-book licences as Denis says. You can buy books in many different languages from the UK site of you live in the UK. I've noticed books in Spanish, Italian, French and German available on the UK site.

Posted on 1 Jan 2015 10:06:35 GMT
Mr J C Allen says:
So even if you are in UK and have a US account, you still won't get the books Amazon (for some reason they won't tell us) prohibit for sale to customers outside the US?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2015 10:23:33 GMT
Denis Powell says:
Ebooks are licensed on a geographical basis. A book may be licensed for sale to US residents only. Having your Kindle registered to the .com site doesn't make you a US resident. It's not Amazon prohibiting the sale, it's the Publisher / Copyright owner.

It may be that the US publisher doesn't own the rights to sell the ebook in the UK. Perhaps a UK publisher owns them and hasn't, yet, put the book up for sale. There are several possibilities, including the UK government banning the sale of some books here.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2015 17:07:28 GMT
CBRetriever says:
exactly - your billing address, aka Country Setting, acts as a filter to restrict your search results, what books you can purchase and the price you pay

there were lots of books on amazon.com that I couldn't purchase when I lived in France and had my account on amazon.com that my US friends could purchase
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the kindle discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and £59 Kindle.
321 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Introducing the all-new Fire HD 6 and 7 and Fire HDX 8.9!
547 23 Jun 2016
Announcement
Amazon Introduces Two All-New Kindles
307 3 Feb 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.4.5
142 21 Jun 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Previous Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
288 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.3
192 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.4.2
363 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
Kindle Paperwhite (Previous Generation) Software Update Version 5.3.9
65 24 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Touch Software Update Version 5.3.7
95 23 Mar 2016
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite Update Version 5.3.6
134 26 Mar 2016
Announcement
New Kindle Help Forum Now Available
0 5 Jun 2013
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
698 18 Mar 2016

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  kindle discussion forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  13 Aug 2010
Latest post:  1 Jan 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions